Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
.................................................. .........

And here I thought we were discussing the source of endless sub-surface ground water. Only goes to show how I can get all topically mis-directed, eh? Meh-bee Eusebius' concerns are right? And I'm wrong? Yup: that must be it!

(Fortunately, I won't have to worry about any of the stuff lw hath provided. Especially since it's all made up, of course, and so does not attend to my philosophical basics!)

I wonder if he writes G-d's S-n's name as J-S-S, too? It seems to me that one should be consistent in reffering to J-S-S- Chr-st and G-D - especially if one has that curious idea that G-d is the same as J-S-S. Oh, I forgot to mention the H-LY Sp-r-t, too.... Oh no - should the use of "y" as a vowel in "Holy" produce H-L Sp-r-t? I used S-n because many capitalize that term, so it makes sense to be superstitious about it too.

These refusals to type out English translations of originally foreign names (I assume that the belief is that the original names are too sacred to be pronounced, or even - gasp - written) are always strange and amusing. Always makes me think of Monty Python's Life of Brian and the poor old man who is in hot water for saying "this piece of halibut is good enough for Jehovah" heh heh! Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah! See - I'm okay because "Jehovah" is a horrible, travesty of a transliteration of "Yahweh".

Sorry - I couldn' resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R_hlMK7tCks

Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 PM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default Stop Complaining!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
I wonder if he writes G-d's S-n's name as J-S-S, too? It seems to me that one should be consistent in reffering to J-S-S- Chr-st and G-D - especially if one has that curious idea that G-d is the same as J-S-S. Oh, I forgot to mention the H-LY Sp-r-t, too.... Oh no - should the use of "y" as a vowel in "Holy" produce H-L Sp-r-t? I used S-n because many capitalize that term, so it makes sense to be superstitious about it too.

These refusals to type out English translations of originally foreign names (I assume that the belief is that the original names are too sacred to be pronounced, or even - gasp - written) are always strange and amusing. Always makes me think of Monty Python's Life of Brian and the poor old man who is in hot water for saying "this piece of halibut is good enough for Jehovah" heh heh! Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah! See - I'm okay because "Jehovah" is a horrible, travesty of a transliteration of "Yahweh".

Sorry - I couldn' resist.

Monty Python's "Life of Brian" (Stoned to death...) - YouTube
Shal-m wh-ppers
i f-rgive y-u y-ur assumpti-n...nevertheless, if y-u're unable to resist being a jackass in -rder to inflate y-ur sense -f self w-rth, then i f-rgive y-u again. H-wever, if by the third time y-u're still intent -n dem-nstrating h-w self righte-us y-u are, by all means...hee haw...

Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
Shal-m wh-ppers
i f-rgive y-u y-ur assumpti-n...nevertheless, if y-u're unable to resist being a jackass in -rder to inflate y-ur sense -f self w-rth, then i f-rgive y-u again. H-wever, if by the third time y-u're still intent -n dem-nstrating h-w self righte-us y-u are, by all means...hee haw...
Th-nks! Y- kn-w, - k-nd- -f l-k th-s st-l -f wr-t-ng, -nd - th-nk -ts gr-w-ng -n m-. Th-gh w- m-ght -s w-ll j-st sw-tch t- - p-r- c-ns-n-nt-l t-xt.

Lk sd, cldnt rsst, nd pprct yr frgvnss f m. hp tht w cn cntn frm hr n ll gd fth.
Shlm?
Sncrly, WHPPRS.

Nw, bck t Nh's Ark! Lt th crnval cntn!

Old 03-25-2012, 10:49 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
...and there are no available pools of 10,000 times the current surface water volume just waiting to form up a flood.
Of course, they can always be safe with 'Things were different back then'.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:00 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,262 times
Default Down By The River!

Quote:
Th-nks! Y- kn-w, - k-nd- -f l-k th-s st-l -f wr-t-ng, -nd - th-nk -ts gr-w-ng -n m-. Th-gh w- m-ght -s w-ll j-st sw-tch t- - p-r- c-ns-n-nt-l t-xt.

Lk sd, cldnt rsst, nd pprct yr frgvnss f m. hp tht w cn cntn frm hr n ll gd fth.
Shlm?
Sncrly, WHPPRS.

Nw, bck t Nh's Ark! Lt th crnval cntn!
Aaaaww! G-d Blessing you whoppers...but you and your denial friends are the ones who keep straying off track. That is to be expected from folks who have deluged themselves with scathing wit and firebrand humor.
Now...back to Noah's Ark! Yes a world wide flood did happen in Noah's day. The end...

Old 03-26-2012, 06:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
False. Get a properly translated Bible before making statements like that.

In Matthew 24 the disciples asked Him this:

Mat 24:3 Now at His sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to
Him privately, saying, "Tell us, when will these things be? And what is the
sign of Thy presence and of the conclusion of the eon?

Some translations improperly translated the Greek word "AION" as "world" in that verse. But "world" is "KOSMOS" in Greek and I assure you KOSMOS is not in that verse.

Seeing how you really got it wrong with your first statement above it stands to reason you just don't know what you are talking about. Of course we know what Jesus really said.
Quote:
Eusebius, I am well aware of the word used there - and yes, "eon" or "age" is a good translation of it.
Hmm, let's see, whoppers said Jesus was wrong when He supposedly stated the world was going to end. When I pointed out to him that "world" is not in that verse properly translated he tells me he is well aware that "eon" or "age" is a good translation of it. But, instead of going along with what was good, he went along with what was bad anyway to try to make Jesus a liar. This is the same kind of arguing that has been going on here from you folks concerning the world-wide flood in Noah's day. You pick and choose that which will help support your agenda even if it is wrong.

Quote:
You're making two bad assumptions there:
  • That I'm using a "bad translation" for my statement.
  • That I'm limited to using a translation for my exegesis.
  • That my statement was referring to Matthew 24:3 alone.
  • That my statement was based on a confusion of two Greek words in one single verse.
#1 I didn't assume anything. I KNOW you used a bad translation and proved it. That is not an assumption.

#2 if you are limiting your translation for your exegesis EVEN IF YOU KNOW IT IS A WRONG TRANSLATION you are still wrong.

#3 There is no other verse in the New Testament where Jesus supposedly talks about "the end of the world." It is always about the end of this age.

#4 I don't think you are confused. I think you purposely misled to try to prove a point: to make Jesus look like a bumbling idiot.

Quote:
All of the above are false assumptions you made concerning me. So - I won't take your advice to "get a properly translated Bible before making statements like that" (already have 'em, don't need 'em), and your hasty reaction and declaration that "you really got it wrong with your first statement above" is pure assumption, and as you yourself said in the first line: FALSE.
No, you don't need a properly translated bible. You just need a poorly translated bible that you can use to make Jesus a liar. Good job!
Quote:
I'm not about to wax poetic on why various statements of Jesus, Paul and other New Testamental writings were seen as indicating an imminent eschaton -
Obviously your eschatology is based upon poor translations and it is those translations which are giving your problems.

Last edited by Eusebius; 03-26-2012 at 07:18 AM..

Old 03-26-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Of course, they can always be safe with 'Things were different back then'.
Things were different back then.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman

And here I thought we were discussing the source of endless sub-surface ground water. Only goes to show how I can get all topically mis-directed, eh? Meh-bee Eusebius' concerns are right? And I'm wrong? Yup: that must be it!
I put the improper argument in red above.

We were not discussing the source of ENDLESS sub-surface ground water. We were, however, discussing sub-surface ground water.

If the ocean basins were not present and the mountains not present, the PRESENT water on earth would cover the continents by 8,000 feet.

Now, in Noah's day the mountains may have only beeen a few hundred feet high. Subduct the continents and cause some rain for 40 days and nights and whalla, global flood. It doesn't take any magic.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:22 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Things were different back then.
Like the lack of scientific knowledge, which allowed people in authority to disseminate all kinds of imaginary stories about how the world was and what happened in the past.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Like the lack of scientific knowledge, which allowed people in authority to disseminate all kinds of imaginary stories about how the world was and what happened in the past.
Actually, they were highly intelligent back then. I doubt you could build a wooden ark the size of a WWII aircraft carrier and make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality