Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 02:51 PM

33,557 posts, read 37,155,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You did state this in this thread:
Further Hard Eco-Evidence against ANY Survivors of Noah's Mythical Flood!

Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
When a ship is without power it makes no difference which way a rudder is turned. The ship will always lie broadside to the seas...A vessel has to be underway for a rudder to have any effect.http://www.city-data.com/forum/23664723-post23.html
(end of quote)
In other words, a ship, an unpowered ship, whether it be made of metal or wood, "WILL ALWAYS LIE BROADSIDE TO THE SEAS."

In other words, such a state would have very, very bad consequences or you would not have written it. When you wrote: ". . . to the seas" did you mean ". . . to the waves"?

In other words, according to you, Noah's ark, being unpowered would always lie broadside to the seas (waves) and therefore, Noah's ark would not be able to survive.
Exactly...No wooden flat sided boxy barge could survive more than moderate seas. (waves)...The oceans have several kinds of waves...
1 Swells that can come from winds hundreds of miles away and can be very large, but without local winds are gentle. Swells are always present, and they are what makes the surf on a beach.

2 Wind waves that can vary according to wind speed, but they build up on top of the swells...The highest recorded wave where I fish was 104 feet...That was wind waves on top of the swells....

3 The most dangerous normal waves occur when the tides or ocean currents oppose large swells combined with wind waves...In that case the waves become very steep ( almost vertical) and violent...

4 Rogue waves happen when two or more waves merge and create a wave more than twice the height of the prevailing waves...Your fabled ark would not stand a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLzgzvVxUV4

Last edited by sanspeur; 04-05-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 03:08 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Could you please slow down and re-phrase this sentence so I can understand it:
Sure, I will try to slow down enough so you can catch up. Heck, I will go a step further and give an example of what I expect.

According to historical records, my country gained independence in 1776. Considering that it is 2012 now, we're talking about 236 years ago.

Something along the lines from the historical records on Noah? Do you have a calendar year? Just say "no" if you don't. That wouldn't be unexpected.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:16 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Let's see, our resident board professional seaman, sanspeur, told us that the ark, being powerless and rudderless would be destroyed in the ocean.
You really proud of your willful ignorance, I gotta hand ya that

Never mind that this is perhaps a 70 - 80 foot vessel, made of steel.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
I see no problem with Noah freeze drying food. The higher one goes up the mountains the less pressure there is. I used to mountain climb and used water filled compasses. The higher you go the compass would develope a bubble in it due to the lowered pressure. This lowered pressure helps to extract water from the food. It is not that difficult to understand unless you believe in mind-numbing evolution.
Wherever you got your education, I suggest you ask for your money back.

The higher up in altitude you go RELATIVE TO SEA LEVEL, does indeed cause a lowered atmospheric pressure. In fact, that's how altimeters work, they're really nothing more than very sensitive, adjustable barometers.

However, in the event of a worldwide flood, the air would be pushed upwards as sea level rose. You could be at 30,000' relative to MSL, but if the globe was flooded to 30,000', you'd have MSL pressures.

Try again.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,540,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post

The higher up in altitude you go RELATIVE TO SEA LEVEL, does indeed cause a lowered atmospheric pressure. In fact, that's how altimeters work, they're really nothing more than very sensitive, adjustable barometers.

However, in the event of a worldwide flood, the air would be pushed upwards as sea level rose. You could be at 30,000' relative to MSL, but if the globe was flooded to 30,000', you'd have MSL pressures.

Try again.
He seems to have the same functional intelligence as another rabid theists argued with me last fall about the speed of light. He said that if you looked through a telescope, you saw events happening thousands of light years away in real time. This is the science that he based his belief that the universe was only about 13,000 years old, and why we can see objects further than 13K light years away.

And he closed the statement with " and I didn't have to pray about it"

Belief in fairy tales as fact creates some astounding depths of ignorance at times. Sometimes at such a level I can't shake the vision of it from my mind.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,160,706 times
Quote:
I'm afraid that neither his parents, nor the creationist propaganda mill that printed the homeschooling curriculum they used are likely to be giving refunds.

And Kent Hovind is in the slammer, so...

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:

I see you have not been reading all the exchanges in these threads. If you had you would notice that it has already been stated that the mountains back then were only about thee to four hundred feet high.

Due to the extreme pressure of the flood waters pushing down on the Pangea plate that plate eventually broke apart which occurred after the flood waters abated. As India's plate pushed north the Himalayas pushed upward.
Of course you can say that occurred millions of years ago but I can just as easily say it occurred about 5,000 years ago. Just because the Himalayas are still ascending at about 2.4 inches per year. This does not prove they always ascended at that rate. Next time, read the posts before you make snide remarks and look foolish.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:03 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Exactly...No wooden flat sided boxy barge could survive more than moderate seas. (waves)...The oceans have several kinds of waves...
1 Swells that can come from winds hundreds of miles away and can be very large, but without local winds are gentle. Swells are always present, and they are what makes the surf on a beach.

2 Wind waves that can vary according to wind speed, but they build up on top of the swells...The highest recorded wave where I fish was 104 feet...That was wind waves on top of the swells....

3 The most dangerous normal waves occur when the tides or ocean currents oppose large swells combined with wind waves...In that case the waves become very steep ( almost vertical) and violent...

4 Rogue waves happen when two or more waves merge and create a wave more than twice the height of the prevailing waves...Your fabled ark would not stand a chance.
Just because you say "Your fabled ark would not stand a chance" does not prove it didn't stand a chance. Obviously it did because you and I are here today as a result of it making it through the world-wide flood.

Noah built the ark in a small four-sided valley and put a 300 to 400 foot long rope with anchor on the end of it to keep it in the middle of that small valley so it would not crash against the mountains as it ascended. As the flood all over the world came, the ark slowly lifted up inside that small valley causing a small lake. Near the end of the flood when the waters went above that valley by 25 feet (as the whole world flooded) the waters began to abate. So, in effect, there was no rogue wave, no dangerous normal waves caused by tides or ocean currents or 104 feet waves hitting the ship since it was perfectly protected by the small valley. Yes, the whole world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred feet. Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat mountains which were at that time about three to four hundred feet high. His ark did not travel the whole world, did not ascend to 30,000 feet, survived the destruction of the whole world by flood.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Just because you say "Your fabled ark would not stand a chance" does not prove it didn't stand a chance. Obviously it did because you and I are here today as a result of it making it through the world-wide flood.

Noah built the ark in a small four-sided valley and put a 300 to 400 foot long rope with anchor on the end of it to keep it in the middle of that small valley so it would not crash against the mountains as it ascended. As the flood all over the world came, the ark slowly lifted up inside that small valley causing a small lake. Near the end of the flood when the waters went above that valley by 25 feet (as the whole world flooded) the waters began to abate. So, in effect, there was no rogue wave, no dangerous normal waves caused by tides or ocean currents or 104 feet waves hitting the ship since it was perfectly protected by the small valley. Yes, the whole world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred feet. Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat mountains which were at that time about three to four hundred feet high. His ark did not travel the whole world, did not ascend to 30,000 feet, survived the destruction of the whole world by flood.
Wow - still using the "prove it DIDN'T happen" argument? Burden of proof - that's still on your list of things to look up?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
I see you have not been reading all the exchanges in these threads. If you had you would notice that it has already been stated that the mountains back then were only about thee to four hundred feet high.
Again, I suggest that you return to your educational institution and request a refund.

The flood in question supposedly happened 4,000 years ago, more or less. While the surface configuration of the earth has changed dramatically over MILLIONS of years, the differences between now and 4,000 years ago would require extremely precise instruments to measure, and certainly wouldn't be obvious to the naked eye.

The idea that mountains that now extend tens of thousands of feet into the sky were only hundreds of feet tall a mere 4,000 years ago (which is but a blink of an eye geologically speaking) is so completely idiotic, it hardly requires a rebuttal.

Quote:
Of course you can say that occurred millions of years ago but I can just as easily say it occurred about 5,000 years ago.
It's not me saying that. It's the geological evidence. If you're not a poe, then you are an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality