Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Just because you say "Your fabled ark would not stand a chance" does not prove it didn't stand a chance. Obviously it did because you and I are here today as a result of it making it through the world-wide flood.

Noah built the ark in a small four-sided valley and put a 300 to 400 foot long rope with anchor on the end of it to keep it in the middle of that small valley so it would not crash against the mountains as it ascended. As the flood all over the world came, the ark slowly lifted up inside that small valley causing a small lake. Near the end of the flood when the waters went above that valley by 25 feet (as the whole world flooded) the waters began to abate. So, in effect, there was no rogue wave, no dangerous normal waves caused by tides or ocean currents or 104 feet waves hitting the ship since it was perfectly protected by the small valley. Yes, the whole world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred feet. Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat mountains which were at that time about three to four hundred feet high. His ark did not travel the whole world, did not ascend to 30,000 feet, survived the destruction of the whole world by flood.
You are just making crap up as you go along...You are beyond hopeless.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Just because you say "Your fabled ark would not stand a chance" does not prove it didn't stand a chance. Obviously it did because you and I are here today as a result of it making it through the world-wide flood.

Noah built the ark in a small four-sided valley and put a 300 to 400 foot long rope with anchor on the end of it to keep it in the middle of that small valley so it would not crash against the mountains as it ascended. As the flood all over the world came, the ark slowly lifted up inside that small valley causing a small lake. Near the end of the flood when the waters went above that valley by 25 feet (as the whole world flooded) the waters began to abate. So, in effect, there was no rogue wave, no dangerous normal waves caused by tides or ocean currents or 104 feet waves hitting the ship since it was perfectly protected by the small valley. Yes, the whole world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred feet. Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat mountains which were at that time about three to four hundred feet high. His ark did not travel the whole world, did not ascend to 30,000 feet, survived the destruction of the whole world by flood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Wow - still using the "prove it DIDN'T happen" argument? Burden of proof - that's still on your list of things to look up?
::Sigh:: Reasoning with unreasoning credulity makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,685 times
Quote:
I see you have not been reading all the exchanges in these threads. If you had you would notice that it has already been stated that the mountains back then were only about thee to four hundred feet high.
Well, it has been stated by YOU, but that hardly amounts to much in reality land.

Quote:
Due to the extreme pressure of the flood waters pushing down on the Pangea plate
You mean the same "extreme pressures" that left plants and trees alive for all the critter to survive on afterwards? Do tell...

Quote:
that plate eventually broke apart which occurred after the flood waters abated. As India's plate pushed north the Himalayas pushed upward.
If India were part of a supercontinent that broke up because of the flood, it would not be pushing INTO landmasses associated with that continent but AWAY from it. India would be an island today.

Quote:
Of course you can say that occurred millions of years ago but I can just as easily say it occurred about 5,000 years ago.
Yes, but the former is based on empirical evidence and facts whereas the latter is based on the inane babblings of uneducated creationist hacks and the scribblings of bronze age ignorants.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Right, and the Egyptian God RA ejaculated and created the entire universe. It OBVIOUSLY happened since it's recorded in ancient manuscripts and hey, we're HERE along with the rest of the universe just like it says so it must be true.

Quote:
Wow, this little yarn just keeps getting better and better. Hell, you put my five year old niece's imagination to shame playing make believe story time.

Too bad the Bible's authors weren't as imaginative with their version of the (plagiarized) fairytale. They left out all these good bits!

Old 04-05-2012, 10:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Yes, the whole world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred feet.
That wouldn't be enough water to cover the coastal range of California, never mind any known mountain range, and certainly not enough to even cover Mt. Ararat at 16,854 ft.

Quote:
Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat mountains which were at that time about three to four hundred feet high.
That is simply absurd!

In order for Ararat to have grown 16,454 feet in any time period of human activity recorded after your flood would have required significant volcanic activity on a level never witnessed by humans before or since.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Eusebius is an insult to ones intelligence.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quote:
QuixoticHobbit replied:
Right, and the Egyptian God RA ejaculated and created the entire universe. It OBVIOUSLY happened since it's recorded in ancient manuscripts and hey, we're HERE along with the rest of the universe just like it says so it must be true.
That's not true. This is the true story of RA:

"The Sun god Ra was thought to have created himself by willing himself
into existence. He found himself in a swirling watery place. So, he created
a hill, and on this hill, a temple was built. The next thing he did was create
the other gods. He made himself a companion from his own shadow. He
spit, and thereby created his son and daughter, Shu and Tefnut. Shu was
the god of air and Tefnut, of moisture. They in turn created social order by
coming up with the principles of life and the principles of order.

"Eventually, Shu and Tefnut got separated from their father and got lost.
Ra had only one eye which was removable and allowed him to see
everywhere. Using this eye, he sent it in search of his children, and after a
while, they returned with it. He wept tears of joy at their return, and
where these tears hit the ground, men grew from them. So Ra created
the world. Shu and Tefnut were the parents of the Earth and the Sky.

"Note: In other versions of this myth, Ra is also often known as Atum and Khepri. "

Get your myths right.

Quote:
Quote:
Eusebius ingeniously wrote:
Noah built the ark in a small four-sided valley and put a
300 to 400 foot long rope with anchor on the end of it to
keep it in the middle of that small valley so it would not
crash against the mountains as it ascended. As the flood
all over the world came, the ark slowly lifted up inside
that small valley causing a small lake. Near the end of
the flood when the waters went above that valley by 25
feet (as the whole world flooded) the waters began to
abate. So, in effect, there was no rogue wave, no
dangerous normal waves caused by tides or ocean
currents or 104 feet waves hitting the ship since it was
perfectly protected by the small valley. Yes, the whole
world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred
feet. Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat
mountains which were at that time about three to four
hundred feet high. His ark did not travel the whole
world, did not ascend to 30,000 feet, survived the
destruction of the whole world by flood.
Quote:
QHobit replied:
Wow, this little yarn just keeps getting better and better. Hell, you put my five year old niece's imagination to shame playing make believe story time.
Well, if Noah was a genius like me, and I believe he was, and I were told a world-wide flood was coming, I sure would not build the ship out on an open plain. I would choose wisely. I would pick a small four sided valley where the valley walls were the highest on Pangaea, which would keep the swells to a very minimum, like being on a small lake as the small valley filled with water at the same level as the rest of the world. I would encourage you to try thinking these things through. I don't say that to slight you. I'm sure you have an excellent mind for other things you feel are important to you.

Quote:
Too bad the Bible's authors weren't as imaginative with their version of the (plagiarized) fairytale. They left out all these good bits!
The Historical Account which we call the Bible leaves out quite a bit of things. It only kept in the most important. It didn't put in how Noah was a very wealthy man or that he took a crap every day. It didn't go into how he figured out the entire data to ensure the ark would not break apart. It didn't tell us how Noah produced the pitch to coat the ark.

Noah put pitch on both the inside and outside of the ark.
Pitch is "a sticky resinous black or dark brown substance that is semiliquid when hot, hard when cold. It is obtained by distilling tar or petroleum and is used for waterproofing."

Even today we use pitch to waterproof a basement. Due to the hydrostatic pressure on the walls, pitch ensures a water-tight basement should the walls crack, given of course enough pitch is employed in the task of waterproofing.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Yes, the whole world flooded to a depth of around three to four hundred feet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That wouldn't be enough water to cover the coastal range of California, never mind any known mountain range, and certainly not enough to even cover Mt. Ararat at 16,854 ft.

That is simply absurd!
It is absurd to believe the coastal ranges of California and Mt. Ararat were just as high 5 to 7 thousand years ago as they are today. The coastal range of California was on the western edge of Pangaea 5 to 7 thousand years ago and the mountains were only about 3 to 4 hundred feet high as the most as was Mt. Ararat.

Quote:
Eusebius wrote:
Noah built the ship in a valley of the Arrarat mountains which were at that time about three to four hundred feet high.
Quote:
ovcatto replied: In order for Ararat to have grown 16,454 feet in any time period of human activity recorded after your flood would have required significant volcanic activity on a level never witnessed by humans before or since.
I believe there was significant valcanic activity. It is just that anyone who could have witnessed it was, well, under water and the only others were in the ark.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
That's not true. This is the true story of RA:

"The Sun god Ra was thought to have created himself by willing himself
into existence. He found himself in a swirling watery place. So, he created
a hill, and on this hill, a temple was built. The next thing he did was create
the other gods. He made himself a companion from his own shadow. He
spit, and thereby created his son and daughter, Shu and Tefnut. Shu was
the god of air and Tefnut, of moisture. They in turn created social order by
coming up with the principles of life and the principles of order.

"Eventually, Shu and Tefnut got separated from their father and got lost.
Ra had only one eye which was removable and allowed him to see
everywhere. Using this eye, he sent it in search of his children, and after a
while, they returned with it. He wept tears of joy at their return, and
where these tears hit the ground, men grew from them. So Ra created
the world. Shu and Tefnut were the parents of the Earth and the Sky.

"Note: In other versions of this myth, Ra is also often known as Atum and Khepri. "

Get your myths right.

Nice cut n paste there, but you obviously know nothing about Egyptian mythology. They actually have several creation stories. There is no "true" version obviously since they are all man made fairytales just like your Bible and Noah's ark.

Quote:
Well, if Noah was a genius like me, and I believe he was, and I were told a world-wide flood was coming, I sure would not build the ship out on an open plain. I would choose wisely. I would pick a small four sided valley where the valley walls were the highest on Pangaea, which would keep the swells to a very minimum, like being on a small lake as the small valley filled with water at the same level as the rest of the world. I would encourage you to try thinking these things through. I don't say that to slight you. I'm sure you have an excellent mind for other things you feel are important to you.
Picking a four sided valley would be the least intelligent place to construct the ark, especially when having to transport those enormous trees to the site.

I encourage YOU to think these things through but then, thinking is obviously NOT your strong point.

Quote:
The Historical Account which we call the Bible leaves out quite a bit of things. It only kept in the most important.
And left the rest for you to pull out of your arse, apparently.

Quote:
It didn't put in how Noah was a very wealthy man or that he took a crap every day. It didn't go into how he figured out the entire data to ensure the ark would not break apart. It didn't tell us how Noah produced the pitch to coat the ark.
Yes. Probably because Noah never existed.

Quote:
Noah put pitch on both the inside and outside of the ark.
Pitch is "a sticky resinous black or dark brown substance that is semiliquid when hot, hard when cold. It is obtained by distilling tar or petroleum and is used for waterproofing."

Even today we use pitch to waterproof a basement. Due to the hydrostatic pressure on the walls, pitch ensures a water-tight basement should the walls crack, given of course enough pitch is employed in the task of waterproofing.
Yes I know what pitch is, shyte wit.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:14 PM

I cannot help it you people are out of my league. Me trying to help you gentlemen is like a physics professor trying to explain quantum physics to a five year old. I am really trying to bring it down to your level but I miscalculated my target audience. I will try to spoon feed it to you in the future. It is really my fault. I just misjudged you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.