Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 04:17 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times

Advertisements

As GoldenRule astutely noted on my recent new thread about the basics of the Scientific Method [the SM] (as properly utilized, not purposefully mis-quoted or mis-used in order to deceive, as our spiritual majordomo of The House that God Built, has tried so diligently to do) a totally devout Christian cannot ever admit he's been over-run by superior forces or thoughts and ideas.

Why? Because that would spell the end to his fright-filled spiritual existence, and threaten to leave him spiritually Ark-less as the tide waters of truth rise around him!

(Don'cha jist luhv metaphor and allegory? You know, just like thet-thar buybuhl is so phull-ah! )

The total absence of any plausible scientifically-derived and validated evidence for a total global flood is pure nonsense, made-up silliness they trot out as though it were somehow fact! Instead this only shows their utter lack of an inquiring mindset or any background of technical interest or understanding. Nothing more.

And this prideful ignorance is available for all to see, even their more thoughtful compadrés, who may just take the next available departing ship to "Reality Land"!! Welcome, all sensible newcomers! Welcome!

Huzzah!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Let's see, our resident board professional seaman, sanspeur, told us that the ark, being powerless and rudderless would be destroyed in the ocean.

Yet here, in the picture below, we see an un-powered ship, just drifting out in the wild Pacific for over a year that went through Japan's tsunami over a year ago:

It doesn't look to me that it was destroyed by waves due to being unpowered. Does it to you?

Not only that, but there are lots of what are known as "ghost ships" in our modern time where the crew is missing but the ships were all intact after drifing aimlessly for who knows how long out in the wild oceans. Of course sanspeur forgot to inform us of these ships. I know he is the consummate professional seaman so I will just chalk up his not telling us to a faulty memory. Heck, even I forget things.

The ark Noah and company built made it handily through the world-wide flood.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Why? Because that would spell the end to his fright-filled spiritual existence,
Umm, rifleman . . . I hope you are not talking about me. I don't lead a
fright-filled spiritual existence. I am quite at peace with my God Who is my
loving heavenly Father. Really.

Sure, some Christians do lead a life of a fright-filled spiritual existence
because they think God is some eternal tormentist type ogre. But due to
properly translated Bibles I see that is just not the case.

So in the future, if you are talking about me, could you at least not
character assassinate me with misinformation? Thank you.

If you don't, I will pray that God will bless you.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnofresno View Post
Eusebius, i am here to inform your that if the bible is true, there is nothing you can do or say to satisfy your blood thirsty god.
In a sense, you are correct. Christ has already died for you and me and all mankind. Eventually all mankind will be saved. So, there really is nothing either you and I can or could do to satisfy God since Christ already did it. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Your god scares the crap out me. All he does is cause pain and never explains things to where normal people can understand.
I understand why you think that way. When I was in the standard Catholic and non-Catholic churches I too thought as you did. It is a wonderful thing though to come out of that type of thinking.

Quote:
His word must be translated for it to make any sense, I guess thats where priest come into the picture.
You are correct. The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek and the New Testament in Greek. So, unless everyone in the world learns these languages we must translate those ancient manuscripts into our modern languages.

Quote:
Your god is a made up entity designed for control purposes only. Back in the day your god was hands on, now he works magic. Your god is the creator of all things (in the bibles word) except when things go bad. Then there's an excuse for the bad things. Are you absolutely positive this wasn't written by man. Oh yeah, why is it that your god is invisible, again?
He is invisible because He is spirit.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Now back to Noah's ark and the historical world-wide flood.

Last edited by Eusebius; 04-05-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Default Heck: it's A Vast Global Conspiracy; one that actually works!

In response to The Most Complex Equation Wins war, I give you all.... this!

L*sqrt(pi) = e-l2
c(Tm-T0) l(1+erfl)

where L=latent heat of fusion, c=specific heat, erf= error function and (Tm-T0) temperature difference between the intrusion event (injection of unsolidified volcanic component) and the country rock (that rock being intruded into or upon!). Not Shelby Quartermaine and the Christian Chicken Pluckers, no, not THAT kind of Country Rock....

This formula will give the time in seconds for a body to cool to the ambient temperature (T0). Noting that for numbers of radioactive elements, these times are in millions of years, conservatively.

Never does it show it ALL formed up one week, within 6000 to 20,000 (a mere 45% variation, while modern dating methods are now accurate to within ≈ 2% or less... Hmmm...). Nor that all the current species and their remnants and related dig-artifacts (bowls, spears stuck into 20,000 to 10,000 yr old Mammoths and Tigers and Bears, Oh No!, all arrived on this scene of vast global devastation, all formed up and ready to go within the last 2500 years, and all of it post flood! Hilariously inept thinking, for sure!

(In particular, I LOVE the following quote from the article I'll give you all in a moment, an article of such import that you'd be daft and blunt-minded to ignore it completely, and yet to then come back and make any of the sorts of statements so many unimaginative and lemming-esque Christian YEC'r followers-on adamantly lay claim to.

Of particular additional interest is this little factoid from this article's truthful author, Joe Meert (an accredited geologist, btw...):

"Many creationists are unaware of the fact that John Woodmorappe is really Jan Peczkis, a high school teacher from Chicago, Illinois. Peczkis has authored old earth evolutionary articles under his real name whilst claiming to be a young earther under his Woodmorappe pseudonym"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn™
Well now, Wow! The same guy! 'Magine That'n, huh? Talk about being intellectually (dis)honest! I wonder how he manages to reap some $$$$ profits out of this schamozzle? It's gotta be in the detailed gubbins somewhere, eh, guys?

****####NOTE! "Before going in to the details, I would like to make one very important point regarding the accusations made by Woodmorappe/Peckzis using his own words:

"Some of these claims have been made on the Internet and, as an active creationist scientist, I don’t have the time to fan the windmills of debate on this totally unregulated, unrefereed medium. Anyone can say anything on it, no matter how untrue."

Meert then goes on to note the obvious: I certainly agree with Woody/Peczkis on this point and merely ask him why he would use such a forum for debate given its totally uncontrolled nature. In fact, as I will show, Woody/Peczkis is guilty of misrepresenting science on the internet. No doubt this is because he can successfully reach masses of people who are ready to believe without checking the veracity of his arguments."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflmn™
Ain't that the truth, big time? [Or, better yet: Say it isn't so, Eusebius! My own personal world of intellectual honesty has been totally shattered by lying Christians! Oh No!]

Q: Which devout Christian claimist in our entire debating history on these topics has ever shown any actual interest in learning the truth after they have made their stunningly inaccurate claims about Noah's Ark or Evolution or geology or astronomy, or anything for that matter??

Such flood impossibilities as the sources of water or where it disappeared to later, the actual age of the earth in the universe's overall history, and it's hominid inhabitants' über-rapid [and technically impossible...] population growth despite having only two or three gene sets, and so on. Or the Arks' inherent instability and inability to withstand endless and vicious wave slamming action, and so on?

Whereas, by comparison, with all the necessary supporting background citations from reputable sources, this article's author Meert goes into all the necessary information to put to bed, once & for all, the conflicting "arguments" against the various and now much-improved and very conservative dating methods.

You know, the ones that show, conclusively, the true (within reasonable limits of course) ages of various geological and fossilized artifacts. He also thoroughly defends the oft-stupidly challenged "geological column" (technically unchallengeable, but still... they have to try their durnedest, don't they? They have to disprove it, or else, right?)

And so on. Please, oh intellectual ones, do read it; it's both fun and colorful!
Paleosols

Last edited by rifleman; 04-05-2012 at 11:46 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 AM

rifleman, I believe the earth may be millions of years old. From Genesis 1:1 to 1:2 could be millions of years. 1:2 then states that the earth (the earth that was already there, possibly for millions of years) became chaos and vacant. From 1:2 onward God is making what was already there habitable again in 6 days (not one week as you state). God took the 7th day (Saturday) off.

If there were humans prior to Genesis 1:2 then they all died when the earth became chaos and **vacant**. I am not saying there were humans prior to 1:2, I'm just saying "if." All mankind that are on the earth today come from Adam and Eve (the mother of all living). That is how I believe. I am not asking you to believe this. I am just stating it for the record so you know not all Christians are young earthers.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
rifleman, I believe the earth may be millions of years old.
And I believe that life itself may be older than earth.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And I believe that life itself may be older than earth.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree.
And that it existed and exists in other systems out there.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Let's see, our resident board professional seaman, sanspeur, told us that the ark, being powerless and rudderless would be destroyed in the ocean.

Yet here, in the picture below, we see an un-powered ship, just drifting out in the wild Pacific for over a year that went through Japan's tsunami over a year ago:

It doesn't look to me that it was destroyed by waves due to being unpowered. Does it to you?

Not only that, but there are lots of what are known as "ghost ships" in our modern time where the crew is missing but the ships were all intact after drifing aimlessly for who knows how long out in the wild oceans. Of course sanspeur forgot to inform us of these ships. I know he is the consummate professional seaman so I will just chalk up his not telling us to a faulty memory. Heck, even I forget things.

The ark Noah and company built made it handily through the world-wide flood.
I did not say that ANY unpowered ship would be destroyed, and you know it....Your are comparing a well built and designed steel ship to a flat sided floating wooden box sealed with pitch.

Yes, you do forget things, like what I actually said, but you also lie about things that others have said...Which is it this time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.