Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2017, 02:21 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
"For He was made man that we might be made God."

- Athansios of Alexandria

Do you mean Athanasius...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:53 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You say "everything already is God." I say that's just about the biggest insult anyone could make against God. There is so much evil in the world today. I don't believe anything evil is God.

It was nice to see Chango's name again, though. I miss him.
Why do you think Jew died on the cross? Because he mocked the Sabbath? Not hardly.

You Are God: The True Teachings of Jesus

He died because they said he was king and because he blasphemed accordinhg to the priests.

There is actually percerption of evil in the world. "Hear o Israel, the Lord you God is One." We have a dualistic perception of the world because of the Fall. Really this is because "know good and evil."

Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?

Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.
But you are dismissing science already.

Remember there is an ongoing evolution happening? Who knows, physically, what are we going to turn into in 60 million years from now?

Water levels are rising and eventually we will learn how to live in water and become dolphins? Who knows

The other point is, if men become gods, then you are talking about billions of gods which defies the very basic definition of God. There is ONLY ONE God.

For starters, for something to become God, it has to be the one and only, and there should be no other specie like him, otherwise, it's not God.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:23 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
But you are dismissing science already.

Remember there is an ongoing evolution happening? Who knows, physically, what are we going to turn into in 60 million years from now?

Water levels are rising and eventually we will learn how to live in water and become dolphins? Who knows

The other point is, if men become gods, then you are talking about billions of gods which defies the very basic definition of God. There is ONLY ONE God.

For starters, for something to become God, it has to be the one and only, and there should be no other specie like him, otherwise, it's not God.

I don't think we are likely to take to the water, though seals might become more permanently sea -dwelling, if they can evolve a way of giving birth at sea.

Human hands are too useful and land is halfway between sea and air. It is perfect for using both environments.

I had a think, but really I just don't believe I can guess at where humans will end up. But you are right that billions of 'gods' would not be god, unless in an evoluition that matches the Gaylenish suggestion of a mental continuation after death and another idea or aspiration that we have - mental links between minds. Thus billions of human minds that were united even in human form becomeing one after death. The idea of billionsof One would be a difference that made no different.

And if by that time, as the Anti -Evilooshunists are fond of saying -that the Universe will one day be dead, and as C. S Lewis asked in his Martian story 'and when all are dead?'(1) who says that the conscioussness -god won't be able to make another earth, another sun or even another galaxy. The Antis who try to buy the argument by saying that only this or that is possible are really bamboozling themselves and others.

(1) but of course the opponents of atheism or evilooshun, having come up with the 'stumper' question, don't think it through. Sure the universe may one day be dead. How does that debunk Evolution or 'Evilooshun' (2) and why must one assume that all stars and planets will one day be dead? Aren't new stars being formed all the time? Wasn't the earth itself made from the material of an exploded star?

(2) which is a different thing - the natural origin and development of everything without Goddunnit. Thus to the religious anti -evolutionist, cosmology and even ancient history, never mind Abiogenesis and Geology, is all part of the Evilooshun -debate.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-02-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
How does any living thing subject to evolution become a god? That's weird ...

The hypothetical "Robots with AI global takeover" would still be a case of: "Robots with AI"; not a: "Human of Robot origin".

Cognition is human-LIKE. It doesn't mean it's human defining.

Humans can be god-like. Doesn't mean we are gods. Even if we achieved medical/clinical immortality: Not gods; just dumb & really old.

Given that Homo Sapiens have existed for 200,000+ years ... And we invented the Electron Microscope ... 86 years ago? Not even close to being gods!

Old 10-02-2017, 09:32 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Yes, but three individuals, according to scripture, are addressed by that title.

Quote:
Why wouldn't God's offspring have a divine nature? And why couldn't they progress to become like Him? Not replacing Him or even equaling Him in rank, but possessing the divine qualities He has. And if Jesus, in addressing His apostles, called His Father "Your Father," that alone implies that we are God's offspring.

God's really not as paranoid about our potential as people seem to think He is.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
How does any living thing subject to evolution become a god? That's weird ...

The hypothetical "Robots with AI global takeover" would still be a case of: "Robots with AI"; not a: "Human of Robot origin".

Cognition is human-LIKE. It doesn't mean it's human defining.

Humans can be god-like. Doesn't mean we are gods. Even if we achieved medical/clinical immortality: Not gods; just dumb & really old.

Given that Homo Sapiens have existed for 200,000+ years ... And we invented the Electron Microscope ... 86 years ago? Not even close to being gods!
You are overlooking two things - the tiny length of time a hundred years is compared to the human race, andn the almost insane increase in the learning -curve. Already humans are replacing body parts with robots and robots are being made increasingly human. You can never impose as universal rules patterns that exist in humanity as it is today.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:08 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I've never really thought too deeply on this subject but another post made me wonder why it's generally considered high-level heresy and even "of the devil" for men to even presume they can become gods?

So why is that? If god is the father and we are god's children, why would god not want us to grow up and be like him (i.e. like the Mormons believe)?

Just for the record, I think men are destined to become "gods"... through the power of science. One day, science and technology will allow humanity to do everything the biblical god is described as doing. There might not be a god today, but provided we don't do something stupid as a species and kill ourselves off, perhaps there will be.

Because when man decides he's god, all he can create is his own version of Hell.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:29 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Why do you think Jew died on the cross? Because he mocked the Sabbath? Not hardly.

You Are God: The True Teachings of Jesus

He died because they said he was king and because he blasphemed accordinhg to the priests.

There is actually percerption of evil in the world. "Hear o Israel, the Lord you God is One." We have a dualistic perception of the world because of the Fall. Really this is because "know good and evil."
You quoted me and yet I can't see anything in your response that addresses anything I said.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yes, but three individuals, according to scripture, are addressed by that title.

Why wouldn't God's offspring have a divine nature? And why couldn't they progress to become like Him? Not replacing Him or even equaling Him in rank, but possessing the divine qualities He has. And if Jesus, in addressing His apostles, called His Father "Your Father," that alone implies that we are God's offspring.

God's really not as paranoid about our potential as people seem to think He is.
Again, perhaps in the definition of God in the Christian doctrine, God can have off springs - perhaps a Hindu God can also have off springs * but * in the Islamic doctrine, the core belief in the definition of an Islamic God is,
"He neither begets nor is born". 112:3

So yes, Christians and other faiths may believe that God can have off springs - which is good for them and I don't have a problem with it.

In the Islamic faith, for something to become a God, it HAS to be neither begotten nor it must beget.

So we are not here in a hosing down contest. We are simply stating the description of God as per our own faiths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality