Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostofrand View Post
Of course. But atheists/agnostics still unfailingly express the view, as you do albeit indirectly, that on average, believers are (much) less intelligent than they are.

Yea...? Its like saying the majority of people wear pants. Therefore if there were an equivalent number of intoxicated drivers as pants wearers there would be more drunk driving caused accidents. I dont consider this "observation" too terribly revealing -- to say the least. But it seems you do....
The bold above -- spoken like a true atheist. No one else's views are valid, nobody "understands the universe" (whatever the 'F' that means) as well as the super braniacal atheist/agnostic crowd....oh dear lord, deliver me

So tell us, oh great one, all about the universe. Explain all its workings, how it came to be, solve all its (perceived) mysteries, down to the minutest details, will you? I mean, you must have that capability, right, because otherwise there would be no way you could completely eliminate other influences and possibilities beyond your (what most people consider VERY limited) understanding of said universe.

There are no doubt deists who understand the universe quite well. But I guess not as well as you. Are you perhaps an MIT professor/author/scientist/phsyicist/astronomer/nasa engineer/theorest? Have you picked off where old Albert left off?
When I hear that spew...It brings to mind: What could be considered the hallmark of recent scientific discovery about the creation of the universe...the "Big Bang"...was figured out by a PRIEST!

Yeah...that ignorant "deity believer" Lemaitre obviously had "a fundamentally flawed understanding about the universe"!!
BwaaaaaaaHaHaHaHaaaaaaa! That must drive them BONKERS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostofrand View Post
Of course. But atheists/agnostics still unfailingly express the view, as you do albeit indirectly, that on average, believers are (much) less intelligent than they are.
I make no such claim. You need to take that up with someone else.

Quote:
The bold above -- spoken like a true atheist. No one else's views are valid, nobody "understands the universe" (whatever the 'F' that means) as well as the super braniacal atheist/agnostic crowd....oh dear lord, deliver me

So tell us, oh great one, all about the universe. Explain all its workings, how it came to be, solve all its (perceived) mysteries, down to the minutest details, will you? I mean, you must have that capability, right, because otherwise there would be no way you could completely eliminate other influences and possibilities beyond your (what most people consider VERY limited) understanding of said universe.

There are no doubt deists who understand the universe quite well. But I guess not as well as you. Are you perhaps an MIT professor/author/scientist/phsyicist/astronomer/nasa engineer/theorest? Have you picked off where old Albert left off?
Are you done? I said none of the above.

You must win a lot of arguments in your mind when you get to create the arguments that you are countering.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,593,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
We are not interested in the idea of a god per say. We are interested in combating the ignorance many believers exhibit towards us and others that stem from their beliefs. Believe what you want but please don't use an unfounded belief to decry science or use that belief to deny others the same rights you enjoy. If you could only keep your religions in your churches and homes we would get along swimmingly.

BTW Mick not to nitpick but a smidgen of proof reading would go a long way. All browsers have auto spell check and with just one click you would be taken much more seriously. Spelling counts.

I hold no intrest in who takes me seriously; I don't post my views to garner intrest, my views hold a life of their own.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Maybe people are interested in god Mickiel, but that doesn't have to mean they believe..does it?..Like I already said, I'm interested, no doubt about it...if I wasn't I wouldn't be here now would I?...I'm also interested in a lot of other stuff, and some of that I don't believe either.

Well I respect your honesty and I understand this complettely.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
To all: *Deep breath*

Time to take a deep breath, people, and to stop gong after one another, but rather, to address the OP. June would rather not have to delete or correct any more posts. (Let alone have to shut down this thread.)

Okay?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
We are not interested in the idea of a god per say...

BTW Mick not to nitpick but a smidgen of proof reading would go a long way. All browsers have auto spell check and with just one click you would be taken much more seriously. Spelling counts.
Sorry, Mike, but I can't resist pointing out that no spell checker I know of (other than one with a Latin dictionary, which would flag most everything else you said as wrong) would have caught "per say" and changed it to "per se" ;-)

One thing I learned a long time ago (I've been online in some form or other since the days of CompuServe) is that people often don't bother to correct their spelling or even their grammar in quick online posts and you can't draw as many conclusions as you might wish from the quality of their prose. Where Mickiel falls down isn't so much in being clear as in being presumptuous and disrespectful in insisting he knows what others think and refusing to listen to what they actually think. This is called "editing other's reality" and it is not a good thing to do.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
When I hear that spew...It brings to mind: What could be considered the hallmark of recent scientific discovery about the creation of the universe...the "Big Bang"...was figured out by a PRIEST!

Yeah...that ignorant "deity believer" Lemaitre obviously had "a fundamentally flawed understanding about the universe"!!
BwaaaaaaaHaHaHaHaaaaaaa! That must drive them BONKERS!
Lemaitre was a Jesuit, the closest thing there is to a Catholic freethinker. They often give Catholics and other theists fits. Many a theist would not consider them True Believers because in a contest between demonstrable facts and dogma, the facts tend to win nearly every time with a Jesuit.

Sometimes I wonder how Jesuits, Universalists and the like even call themselves religious with a straight face. I think such groups have just chosen to cling to religious trappings out of sheer familiarity (and perhaps, at times, convenience).

But to bring this back to the OP ... should we consider Lemaitre a closet atheist since he embraces ideas such as the universe springing from something other than god's forehead? A guy who pretended to be a theist but was really a closet atheist? Isn't this as valid an assertion as the inverse?

Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Sorry, Mike, but I can't resist pointing out that no spell checker I know of (other than one with a Latin dictionary, which would flag most everything else you said as wrong) would have caught "per say" and changed it to "per se" ;-)

One thing I learned a long time ago (I've been online in some form or other since the days of CompuServe) is that people often don't bother to correct their spelling or even their grammar in quick online posts and you can't draw as many conclusions as you might wish from the quality of their prose. Where Mickiel falls down isn't so much in being clear as in being presumptuous and disrespectful in insisting he knows what others think and refusing to listen to what they actually think. This is called "editing other's reality" and it is not a good thing to do.
What can I say.....you are right. My apologies to Mickiel.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
What can I say.....you are right. My apologies to Mickiel.

Well the thread is not about intrest in me, its about intrest in God, and mostly " Closet intrest;" or those really interested that try to mask their intrest. Just as my spelling has been easily unmasked, people who try to hide their intrest in God are just as easily unmasked.

But why hide intrest in God?

And I want to debate on that.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:23 PM

Why would a person hide intrest in God? Well for one, they are ashamed of their intrest. Their intrest is " Closet intrest", and they are ashamed to come out of the closet. They then have to put on a " Persona of unbelief", all the while they are intrested, and some of them actually want God to be real.

Yes, thats right, many unbelievers " Want God to be real." Does this mean they believe the world would be better off with a God? We know they rant about the world being worse because of religion; but is God the same thing as religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality