Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times

Advertisements

Direct answer to OP: Because he has no voice.

Many who feel unable to determine right or wrong on their own thus turn to an artificial God-myth, insist it is he who provides them with a conscience, and maintain they can therefore hear him.

Others who are perhaps more honest and unafraid of spiritual consequences are willing to take a chance at getting it right, knowing that they have only knowledge and experience to gain, even if they are wrong every once in a while.

Not to say that Christians aren't wrong "once in a while". Especially given that God doesn't exist, so in fact they are listening to the random buzzings of their own neurons rather than a God.

IMESHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,275 times
God does speak, in many different ways. We are the ones with hearing difficulties....

Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
It's just people pretending to see the emperors new clothing.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
It's just people pretending to see the emperors new clothing.
and who told you there was an emperor in the first place and that his clothes would be new on top of it?

(or that "just people pretending..." \!!)

Old 05-19-2009, 07:04 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
and who told you there was an emperor in the first place and that his clothes would be new on top of it?

(or that "just people pretending..." \!!)
Why, the PEOPLE, of course.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How do you "decide" what is right and wrong? Right and wrong could easily be defined as what brings you the most benefit or disadvantage. It could be totally selfish--is it?
How do you decide what this "god" is telling you is not a figment of your imagination? Right or wrong are subjective and you can take the selfish road at any time. As a matter of fact, you do when you try to preach to others to make them agree with you. It is an attempt to make yourself feel better.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:21 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
not true, I listen... He tells me that he doesn't want me to go to church, he doesn't want me to convert others. He doesn't want me to eat vegetables or go to work...

I have heard that some people listen and god tells them to kill others. He tells some people that he wants the US to go to war with other countries...

I guess some of us hear different things.
It isn't God speaking if it is contrary to his word (the bible).

It is written, "Forsake not the gathering of yourselves together (going to church)"

It is written, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel, making disciples and baptising them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit".

It is written that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit. That is why we eat health food and do not those things that abuse our bodies.

So, I do not know who you are listening to, but it is not God.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
How do you decide what this "god" is telling you is not a figment of your imagination? Right or wrong are subjective and you can take the selfish road at any time. As a matter of fact, you do when you try to preach to others to make them agree with you. It is an attempt to make yourself feel better.
I decide what is right and wrong by my morals which were taught by my parents, my teachers, the society I live in and by what some people may refer to as conscious but I refer to as a place within me where the spirit of God resides and gives me a feeling of guilt and remorse when I have done something unacceptable to Him or my fellow man..
I don't "preach" my beliefs to others..I will answer questions about my belief with the understanding between myself and the questioner that my belief cannot be proven or forced upon anyone, but I will share and if it touches you in a good way I am pleased..If not, I still enjoyed talking with you, and will remain your friend

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I decide what is right and wrong by my morals which were taught by my parents, my teachers, the society I live in and by what some people may refer to as conscious but I refer to as a place within me where the spirit of God resides and gives me a feeling of guilt and remorse when I have done something unacceptable to Him or my fellow man..
I don't "preach" my beliefs to others..I will answer questions about my belief with the understanding between myself and the questioner that my belief cannot be proven or forced upon anyone, but I will share and if it touches you in a good way I am pleased..If not, I still enjoyed talking with you, and will remain your friend

IMO, this is how a belief system should be approached. Obviously beliefs are different for different people. Yet many claim to be superior instead of just different. Is this, according to their beliefs, the way their god wants them to behave? A religion that teaches and preaches superiority is, to me, always suspect.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,668,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I offer my opinion on this thread--I don't expect to change any minds, nor is it my intention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality