Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 02:44 AM

72 posts, read 105,456 times

Advertisements

God doesnt speak because he is not here, he has seperated himself completely from earth and sin. We rejoin him and his rule and judgement when we pass on. Until then we are left with this miserable snake called satan who pretends to be god. He will hide his existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 02:59 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,972,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
If God want;s us to know something more than what we are born to know why dosn't he just say it and save us all the agony?
God has given us His Word the Bible, and most of the information we need will be found in there. Yet I myself have heard from the Lord from time to time. Yet I first searched for God before I ever heard His voice. And Jesus tells us that we need to seek Him with all our heart, and with all our mind, and with all our soul, and we will surly find Him. Yet it appears most of the world is not seeking God, they are seeking their own way.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 AM

10 posts, read 13,570 times
What do beliefs have to do with what is? I didn’t believe in my wife before I met her, but I’m pretty sure she existed. In other words, beliefs have nothing to do with Truth. Truth is immutable. The people who think they are “saved” by merely believing something are the same lukewarm people that (mis)use the word “faith” as an excuse to suspend logic. Also, The Word, and the Bible are not synonymous: The Word is the “logos” (a divine instrument, a fiat, an expression) whereas the Bible is 66 books written by men. Martin Luther was wrong when he said that anyone can interpret the Bible. The Bible is a very complicated text and not everyone should attempt to read it (especially those who might lose heart when they find out that it has many flaws).

Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 AM

10 posts, read 13,570 times
Furthermore, the Bible may be inspired, but it’s not infallible. In fact, nowhere in the Bible does it even make the claim that it’s infallible. If God inspired man to write the Bible (66 books written over 1400 years) did he also inspire the Council of Nicea? Is the book of Revelation the last inspired work, or does God still inspire? If revelation is the last book, then Luther, Calvin, and all the other Protestant forefathers are wrong (because without them there is no such thing as the Doctrine of Grace).

Old 05-20-2009, 10:22 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,972,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revealed View Post
What do beliefs have to do with what is? I didn’t believe in my wife before I met her, but I’m pretty sure she existed. In other words, beliefs have nothing to do with Truth. Truth is immutable. The people who think they are “saved†by merely believing something are the same lukewarm people that (mis)use the word “faith†as an excuse to suspend logic. Also, The Word, and the Bible are not synonymous: The Word is the “logos†(a divine instrument, a fiat, an expression) whereas the Bible is 66 books written by men. Martin Luther was wrong when he said that anyone can interpret the Bible. The Bible is a very complicated text and not everyone should attempt to read it (especially those who might lose heart when they find out that it has many flaws).
God's truth found in the Bible will be revealed to those who ask for Wisdom. It is the Holy Spirit who reveals to us the deeper messages found in the Scriptures. The Bible clearly states that the natural man will not understand the things of the Spirit, because they are Spiritually discerned.
The Bible tells us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and we shall be saved. Those who (truly believe), are those who will follow Jesus, and His teachings. And, (true believers) are not the lukewarm people you describe.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:38 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,071,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
If God want;s us to know something more than what we are born to know why dosn't he just say it and save us all the agony?

He gave us 66 books and a church that he speaks through. The fact that people don't listen to them shows that they probably wouldn't listen if he spoke audibly from Heaven.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 PM

428 posts, read 800,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Because if He did, you'd just assume you were crazy. You aren't willing to hear, so you don't.
How do you know what I would or wouldn't assume, or if I am willing to hear or not? Actually, I am VERY willing.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:56 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
He gave us 66 books and a church that he speaks through. The fact that people don't listen to them shows that they probably wouldn't listen if he spoke audibly from Heaven.

You lie to yourself and to others when you pretend that your God has given us clear proof that he exist, but we just choose not to believe.

The "66 books and a churhc" are indistinguishable from normal people doing ordinary feats. But a big booming voice the proves there is a God, granting specific prayer request, talking with us about different subjects, etc. - THAT would prove that there is a supernatural being.

Your evidence is indistinguishable from a con.

If God could make limbs regrow on amputees, (but only following a prayer to God about that subject,) there would not be one atheist in the world. Nor would there be any other religions.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
He does. We choose to not listen.

Bud

Oh come on Bud...you're saying we aren't truthseekers. How could someone "not listen"?

Now, if God was toying with us, and spoke so quietly we didn't hear him, then we'd have to insist he is playing games with us.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:37 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
You lie to yourself and to others when you pretend that your God has given us clear proof that he exist, but we just choose not to believe.

The "66 books and a churhc" are indistinguishable from normal people doing ordinary feats. But a big booming voice the proves there is a God, granting specific prayer request, talking with us about different subjects, etc. - THAT would prove that there is a supernatural being.

Your evidence is indistinguishable from a con.

If God could make limbs regrow on amputees, (but only following a prayer to God about that subject,) there would not be one atheist in the world. Nor would there be any other religions.
The proof they have, such as someone being healed, is always so ambiguous. Like you mentioned amputees, none has had their prayer answered. But someone with back pain is healed. Or the story I heard lately was a baby that had a tear in the gestational sac was born okay (the sac mended of course).

I agree about the booming voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality