Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Jim Jones was atheist.
NOT, he claimed to be christian, so christian is how he died..

Nothing derogatory to say about Koresh huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 07:03 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Jim Jones was a huckster who pretended to be Christian to fool his followers . He quickly figured out he could scam them. But privately he admitted to being atheist or agnostic . Strangely he was extremely dedicated to civil rights in a time when you took a lot of crap for that .

Old 04-22-2016, 07:14 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
So the two claims made in the OP are shown to be wrong. If Jones was secretly an atheist then go none of his Christian followers deaths count as suicide by Christians?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:33 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
So the two claims made in the OP are shown to be wrong. If Jones was secretly an atheist then go none of his Christian followers deaths count as suicide by Christians?
I think considering Jones followers Christians is a stretch . They were cultists who let Jones have sex with their husbands and wives, and who willingly killed their children and then themselves .

While the No True Scitsman fallacy is validly asserted most of the time with folks like the WBC , considering Joneses followers any sort of normal Christian sect is way out there . Basic Christianity is sometimes whacked out , but it generally stays away from severe cult like activity .

Old 04-22-2016, 07:34 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Jeff, please take this bit of advise seriously.

When you link to a source, make sure you understand what the source is saying, that it is credible, and that the point you are trying to make correlates with what the source is actually saying, if it is credible.

If you get called out on factual information or credibility, don't take it personal. If I link to a source that becomes suspect, or I interpreted wrong, I don't take it personally. It means I need to reevaluate my perspective, especially if it can not be backed up.

I've been bashed for my positions on issues here on CD, but rarely has anyone bashed me for posting false or sources that are not credible. There are more than a few who don't like what those sources conclude, but in the end, few can argue their credibility.

You would find a lot less 'mockery' as you say if you follow this advise. We can still agree to disagree.
Yea, Cupper has done this plenty of times, misinterpreting is his middle name.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:38 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Yea, Cupper has done this plenty of times, misinterpreting is his middle name.
Show me!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,399 times
We have less war today than any time in history. Religion is on the decline. Correlation?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:52 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,164,567 times
Jeffbase, what a ridiculous correlation.

It's completely obvious why there is a high suicide rate in the US - easy access to guns. The majority of gun deaths in this country are suicides.
The suicide rate per capita in the US is almost exactly twice that of the UK. Yet the UK has at least twice as many atheists as the US. So that blows your theory completely out of the water.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:11 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If your mission is to rail against atheists, please check all your facts and make sure your conclusion is sound and logical. Otherwise it will look to you that we are picking on you when we are just correcting your conclusion and logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Another example of atheist mockery. Mean atheist = mockery. Funny that in your attempt to pick at me, you only prove my point even more.
But if Jeff's point was to raise an interesting topic for discussion then it's a good topic.

No Jeff, we are not out to pick on you, we are out to correct the conclusion that you inferred in your OP. We are doing that by checking the facts and presenting them on your thread. Judging by the rate of responses, it is a very successful thread. You do actually have a point.

It would be interesting to learn the ratio of the religious suicide rate to non-religious suicide rate. My son was not religious and I have wondered whether being religious would have made any difference in his case. Certainly his mothers prayers didn't help any but that only indicates that prayer doesn't work. But would having religious convictions have helped?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:15 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post

Prove it. I'm not going to take your word that he was a Christian when practically every website I've finding on the topic says he was an atheist, and I posted a quote yesterday where he himself declared to be an atheist. Claiming to be a Christian doesn't mean you are a Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality