Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 06:50 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Someone has to be the voice of reason here. And besides, atheists have pretty much bullied and taken over the Christian forum as well.

And you are welcome to attempt to play that role here . It would just be nice if you could do so with a lot less complaining about being mistreated every time someone disagrees with you.

Quote:
No, I laid out my conditions for a fair argument. You threw them back in my face. It's obviously a waste of time engaging in a discussion with your type.

I don't recall throwing anything back in your face . From what I recall , you refused to agree to answer questions without avoidance because you admitted you did not understand science well enough to feel comfortable being forced to have to answer . So in effect you admitted you didn't really know what you were arguing about even as you argued it .

But if you want to lay your conditions out again I will lay mine out and we can have a discussion. My condition is that you must answer questions that I ask, and if you refuse or avoid then you admit defeat . What are yours?

Quote:
I'll said it again, you don't like my posts, you are welcome to hit the ignore button. Funny that you do admit here that I get lots of flak.

Nothing funny at all . I admit you do. But you cause it all yourself . Others in addition to myself have offered advice on how to post without catching grief. First on that list is to answer questions when asked instead of changing the subject and avoiding questions that are difficult for you to answer because they go against your point . Be honest when faced with things you can't give a proper answer to .

Despite your belief that you catch grief because you are a Christian , this is not always true. Sure, when you try to defend stupid stuff people are going to call you on it. But if you would make an honest effort to have reasonable discussions with people instead of spouting nonsense ( " every atheist I have ever met is mean ") and avoiding questions you might be surprised at how enjoyable the discussion could be . Chris Hitchens and Francis Collins became good friends even though they debated and disagreed.

You should try it some time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 02:40 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
You've been finding oppression under every rock since you first got here. The pagans also did that. I remember that it was specifically your misleading and inflammatory thread titles (and thread content) that made me go on the offensive, since "turn about is fair play" but given the bias and interest level, only your pro-religion threads would get constant reposting. I also remember the Cupper didn't post too much about the all too common stories detailing the ignorance and misdeeds of religion from his news feed until after you first started crusading for your imaginations.

All the suicides I know about were children of rather more religious parents. I think it has more to do with ignorance and lack of real love, then with "religion" per say. But the specific religions were tilling their fields and producing their fruits.
Quote:
Someone has to be the voice of reason here...
Although you didn't respond to my post, here is something I found.

Suicide More Likely With Protestants Than Catholics

I looked it up because I (sort of) remember that one of the first studies in sociology form the founder a little bit after the reformation times was on whether Catholics or Protestant children committed more suicide. It was protestant children back then too. (Although the suicides I know about where form children of Catholic parents). The idea was that Protestants were more prone to verbally abusing and neglecting or ostracizing their children due to their children questioning and doubting the Protestant faith then Catholics were.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Someone has to be the voice of reason here. And besides, atheists have pretty much bullied and taken over the Christian forum as well.
You really are a card, Jeff. Your grotesque bias and projection are so obvious. Quite apart from which side is the more reasonable, we are dominating the forum because we have the best reasoning and arguments.

Quote:
No, I laid out my conditions for a fair argument. You threw them back in my face. It's obviously a waste of time engaging in a discussion with your type.
I can just imagine you trying to fiddle the conditions for a 'fair argument' which would hand you all the cards. And when (of course) that isn't accepted, you act like the opposition isn't willing to argue fairly.

Quote:
I'll said it again, you don't like my posts, you are welcome to hit the ignore button. Funny that you do admit here that I get lots of flak.
And so you revert to the basic wish of theist apologists - that we will just shu up and go away and leave the forum to Christians to peddle their claims unchallenged, like it was in the Good Old days, eh, Jeff?

It's not going to happen. Never again. You are going to continue to get Flak..all the time you Bomb.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:38 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
For all those who scoffed at my claim that suicide is growing in the US, well here is my proof:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-suicide...opstories.html

I certainly know why. This is a glaring consequence when you kick faith and God out of the culture and society. We are seeing a rapid increase in suicide at the same time we are seeing an increase of people leaving the church and faith. Furthermore, you can find high suicide rates in countries like Japan where religion is not a part of the culture.

The ugly truth is that atheism and suicide are tied at the hip.

Religion and Suicide: Religious Affiliation, Atheism, Suicide
Maybe it's all those Left Behind books.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
For all those who scoffed at my claim that suicide is growing in the US, well here is my proof:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-suicide...opstories.html

I certainly know why. This is a glaring consequence when you kick faith and God out of the culture and society. We are seeing a rapid increase in suicide at the same time we are seeing an increase of people leaving the church and faith. Furthermore, you can find high suicide rates in countries like Japan where religion is not a part of the culture.

The ugly truth is that atheism and suicide are tied at the hip.

Religion and Suicide: Religious Affiliation, Atheism, Suicide
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why doesn't god do anything about it?

It acts like it doesn't exist.

Another 20000 children will die of starvation today.

Hey jeff, god let 60000 children die of starvation since you stared this thread.

god is love

Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
There are more in Christianity doing something for the starving than the secular has ever done .

Old 04-24-2016, 07:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
A sharp rise in suicides nationwide, most pronounced among the middle-aged, is a trend that carries to California, where social scientists say the problem is exacerbated by an uneven economic boom, drug use and a lingering stigma about asking for help.

Big increase in suicides in state, nation

Old 04-24-2016, 07:32 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Hey jeff, god let 60000 children die of starvation since you stared this thread.

god is love
No! No! You don't understand. It was not the fault of his god but the fault of two people who, many thousands of years ago, did something that was planned for them to do...and now the rest of us have to suffer because they did exactly what Jeff's god wanted them to do.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:48 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,328,055 times
Children straving, who helps the most, none of this is on topic. The OP claimed that less religious nations had more suicide and that the USA suicide rate was quickly increasing with an increase in the percentage of non believers. His conclusion was that suicide and atheismwere tied at the hip. Statistics do not agree with his conclusion. The OP refuses to accept any evidence that does not agree with his assumption and even disregarded the wording in the paper he linked to.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:50 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
There are more in Christianity doing something for the starving than the secular has ever done .
Cant argue there since this country is made up of a majority of xians that do good deeds in the name of god.

How come since there are so many xians doing something, there are still 20000 children dying everyday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality