Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:16 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
For all those who scoffed at my claim that suicide is growing in the US, well here is my proof:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-suicide...opstories.html

I certainly know why. This is a glaring consequence when you kick faith and God out of the culture and society. We are seeing a rapid increase in suicide at the same time we are seeing an increase of people leaving the church and faith. Furthermore, you can find high suicide rates in countries like Japan where religion is not a part of the culture.

The ugly truth is that atheism and suicide are tied at the hip.

Religion and Suicide: Religious Affiliation, Atheism, Suicide
Your own article disproves your point. Seriously...

The article clearly states that atheism is not the cause of suicide rather trends exist among those with suicidal tendencies, which the article provides no evidence of this occurring more in any one group, to be less likely to commit suicide when external pressures prevent them. Like threatening them with eternal damnation. That'll do it.

Secular nations have higher rates of suicide because they're capitalist hell holes, I'm guessing. Perhaps that's more a critique of America, but when quality and fulfilling jobs are harder to come by and people's lives are consumed by work (since a 40 hour work week doesn't get you very far anymore), they probably start to hate their lives. But yes, let's make this about religion. That's the solution...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Jeffbase, what a ridiculous correlation.

It's completely obvious why there is a high suicide rate in the US - easy access to guns. The majority of gun deaths in this country are suicides.
The suicide rate per capita in the US is almost exactly twice that of the UK. Yet the UK has at least twice as many atheists as the US. So that blows your theory completely out of the water.
Why would easy access to guns correlate to suicides? Aren't cars more readily available? And vacuum cleaner hoses? Those fit very nicely into a car exhaust and reach the back window just fine. Why not just use a car? It's painless too. But gun suicides do seem popular or maybe they're just news worthy making it seem that way.

What is the gun suicide versus other means ratio in your country? (If you know).

In my country, cars are a popular choice but by driving them at speed into hard objects and oncoming trucks.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:20 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Jeffbase, what a ridiculous correlation.

It's completely obvious why there is a high suicide rate in the US - easy access to guns. The majority of gun deaths in this country are suicides.
The suicide rate per capita in the US is almost exactly twice that of the UK. Yet the UK has at least twice as many atheists as the US. So that blows your theory completely out of the water.
Now who is correlating? My theory is grounded on logic. There is ZERO hope in life with atheism. Only death awaits and having faith that the best case scenario is you suddenly won't exist anymore.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
We have less war today than any time in history. Religion is on the decline. Correlation?
Less war? You sure about that? Well, I just looked and it seems that wars increased until the decline of the Soviet Union and have been declining since. But there are still plenty of smaller wars. There's not a lot of peace in the middle east. Could that have something to do with religion?

Old 04-22-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Now who is correlating? My theory is grounded on logic. There is ZERO hope in life with atheism. Only death awaits and having faith that the best case scenario is you suddenly won't exist anymore.
OK, so what is your hope? My hope is that I don't suffer a painful death.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:34 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
But if Jeff's point was to raise an interesting topic for discussion then it's a good topic.

No Jeff, we are not out to pick on you, we are out to correct the conclusion that you inferred in your OP. We are doing that by checking the facts and presenting them on your thread. Judging by the rate of responses, it is a very successful thread. You do actually have a point.

It would be interesting to learn the ratio of the religious suicide rate to non-religious suicide rate. My son was not religious and I have wondered whether being religious would have made any difference in his case. Certainly his mothers prayers didn't help any but that only indicates that prayer doesn't work. But would having religious convictions have helped?

It didn't help Rick Warrens son. Neither did Ricks entire nationwide support group praying to God to help him.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:35 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
OK, so what is your hope? My hope is that I don't suffer a painful death.
I think his hope is that when his brain turns to dust, somehow he will still be conscious.....

Old 04-22-2016, 08:38 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:

Sorry bud, but your claim has been thoroughly blown to bits here . You should do more thorough research before posting this nonsense to get even with Cupper .

Old 04-22-2016, 08:41 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Your own article disproves your point. Seriously...

The article clearly states that atheism is not the cause of suicide rather trends exist among those with suicidal tendencies, which the article provides no evidence of this occurring more in any one group, to be less likely to commit suicide when external pressures prevent them. Like threatening them with eternal damnation. That'll do it.

The article plainly states this:

Quote:

Religious Affiliation, Atheism and Suicide

According to a recent study published in The American Journal of Psychiatry religious affiliation is associated with significantly lower levels of suicide compared to religiously unaffiliated people, atheists and agnostics.
How much more plain does it have to be? Religion is associated with SIGNIFICANTLY lower levels of suicide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

Secular nations have higher rates of suicide because they're capitalist hell holes, I'm guessing. Perhaps that's more a critique of America, but when quality and fulfilling jobs are harder to come by and people's lives are consumed by work (since a 40 hour work week doesn't get you very far anymore), they probably start to hate their lives. But yes, let's make this about religion. That's the solution...
Then you have to at least admit that society is not getting better for people.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:58 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Actually, atheists have everything to live for. This is the only life we have, and we need to and want to make it the best we can for us. Fundamentalists revel in an apocalypse, hoping it comes soon, and just like those Muslim fundamentalists who blow themselves up, hope to have a better life in some fantasy afterlife.

Atheists want to make the earth a better place, fundamentalists don't care, and point to biblical references that say the earth is for human's use.

Atheists are pretty sure that we all become worm food, and we are OK with that. We, atheists, hope we have done some little part in making this earth a better place, for both humans, and the earth itself.

But we don't have imaginary friends. We lost them back in childhood. We deal with the here and now. We atheists have everything to live for, and nothing to die for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality