Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:25 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I know, right?

That's actually one of the things I really despise about religion -- it is utterly devoid of any kind of humor, fun, or light-heartedness.

It's always so serious and somber and, quite frankly, joyless.

About 1.5 years ago I issued a challenge to all Christians to find me just one verse in the Bible that was meant to be laughed at as humor.

Just one.

I don't mean a verse that's accidentally funny, like people receiving magical strength from their long hair or the 200 foreskins story -- but a verse that was deliberately meant to incite laughter.

Needless to say, no one has of yet provided such a verse.

And so you have people like BF who goes completely off the rails because I poked fun at religion.

Oh, and by the way, BF, there are A LOT of denominations that actually DO teach that sex is dirty and evil. Go look it up yourself if you think I'm full of it -- and then go talk to the psychiatrists who treat these people who come out of some of these fundamentalist churches so choked up about their sexuality that they can't even relate well to women or nurture successful romantic relationships.

No doubt you'll fly straight into denial mode, but oh well -- that doesn't change reality now, does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 02:26 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Am I wrong?

Old 11-17-2017, 02:27 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Am I wrong?
Yes...and long-winded.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
I know, right?

That's actually one of the things I really despise about religion -- it is utterly devoid of any kind of humor, fun, or light-heartedness.

It's always so serious and somber and, quite frankly, joyless.

About 1.5 years ago I issued a challenge to all Christians to find me just one verse in the Bible that was meant to be laughed at as humor.

Just one.

I don't mean a verse that's accidentally funny, like people receiving magical strength from their long hair or the 200 foreskins story -- but a verse that was deliberately meant to incite laughter.

Needless to say, no one has of yet provided such a verse.

And so you have people like BF who goes completely off the rails because I poked fun at religion.

Oh, and by the way, BF, there are A LOT of denominations that actually DO teach that sex is dirty and evil. Go look it up yourself if you think I'm full of it -- and then go talk to the psychiatrists who treat these people who come out of some of these fundamentalist churches so choked up about their sexuality that they can't even relate well to women or nurture successful romantic relationships.

No doubt you'll fly straight into denial mode, but oh well -- that doesn't change reality now, does it.
Again...I don't mind humor. I have a hard time with intentionally mocking. I find it sad that you have nothing better to do but to hang out here, insulting others and mocking people.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:32 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
72 virgins.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:35 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The human body is designed to have sex to propagate the species ....In the afterlife there is no purpose to propagate the species and all people in heaven will be neutered

Old 11-17-2017, 02:38 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I mean honestly who knows,but do you think there is passion and sex in heaven or do you think it's very saintly and pure all the time.I mean I'm trying to decide if I want to go there,and if there's no sex then I might give it a miss.
For some crazy reason this made me think of a fictional story related by our Sunday School superintendent when I was a youngster, in which a little boy asked if there would be fried chicken in heaven -- apparently the lad could not imagine heaven without it. Of course the scriptures don't address this so he was assured that there would be all he'd want in heaven because if there's anything good, it'll be there.

And THAT reminded me of a joke about an old guy who dies in a car accident with his wife and Peter shows them their heavenly mansion and points to a table full of delicious food just for them. The man says, no, he can't eat it ... it would be bad for his cholesterol. And Peter explains, you don't understand, this is heaven, you can eat anything you want and it won't harm you.

At this the old duffer pitches a complete fit and swears up an embarrassing blue streak. His wife calms him down and asks what on earth -- er, in heaven -- got into him.

Says he: "If it weren't for your god__ned bran muffins, we could have been here ten years ago!"

All of which brings us to the Christian position on sex (pun slightly intended), which is totally different from what is imagined about food, which fundamentalism has not demonized. Fundies can imagine a heaven with gluttony, but not with sexual passion. Nope. Entirely different story. As BF points out, you can't be "as the angels in heaven" and have sex. However ... as it was explained to me, our relationships will be far more satisfying and meaningful than sex could ever provide, so expect there to be some spiritual payoff that is better than sex. I hope that promise pans out better than the ones offered here earthside.

Now when it comes to sex in a hypothetical afterlife, I'm with Shirina's somewhat whimsical objection -- it's highly overrated to begin with and would be regulated in the heavenly theocracy to such an extent that it would be a non-starter anyway. So I'm indifferent about it. My concerns about heaven are more philosophical -- that every eternity eventually becomes its own hell.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:40 PM

3,640 posts, read 43,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Perhaps Heaven is divided into three parts.

I think there is no sex in the Christian part of heaven.

There is supposedly quite a bit of sex in the Muslim part of Heaven.

And I am not sure about the Jewish section of heaven?
I am with the Christians on this one. There would be no sex in heaven.

There is SUPPOSEDLY quite a bit of sex in Muslim heaven is exactly what it is; SUPPOSEDLY. In reality, every "mate" ("wife" or "husband") will be pure all the time in heaven. That means never having ever had sex in heaven.

The reason we have sex in this life is to keep mankind existing on earth (each one of us has to die). As there would be no death in heaven, there would be no need to keep producing more.

As for Jewish heaven, they are probably expecting to inherit this earth and multiply without going to heaven.

Others are already fed up of sex and just want to disappear into oblivion. My younger brother is more worried of him disappearing into oblivion than going even to hell.

What an earthen lot!

Old 11-17-2017, 02:46 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,670,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I mean honestly who knows,but do you think there is passion and sex in heaven or do you think it's very saintly and pure all the time.I mean I'm trying to decide if I want to go there,and if there's no sex then I might give it a miss.
The prophet Muhammad peace and blessing be upon him said
A man among the people of Paradise will be given the strength of a hundred men for eating, drinking, desire and sexual intercourse.
A man among the Jews said,
‘The one who eats or drinks needs to excrete!’
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to him:
‘The excretion of any one of them will be in the form of sweat which comes out through his skin,
then his stomach will reduce in size again.

for more details please see https://islamqa.info/en/10053

Old 11-17-2017, 02:58 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
The prophet Muhammad peace and blessing be upon him said
A man among the people of Paradise will be given the strength of a hundred men for eating, drinking, desire and sexual intercourse.
A man among the Jews said,
‘The one who eats or drinks needs to excrete!’
The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to him:
‘The excretion of any one of them will be in the form of sweat which comes out through his skin,
then his stomach will reduce in size again.

for more details please see https://islamqa.info/en/10053
Um ... so there will be no poop in heaven.

Good to know, especially if there's no plumbing.

Somehow it's not a topic that ever occurred to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality