Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2019, 03:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Jesus used Scripture as the basis for his beliefs and teachings.
Which one?

Yeah, I mean which scripture?

There were two competing scriptures that contradict each other.

Do you have any clue what I'm talking about?

I don't think you do.

I'm referring to the Torah and the Septuagint.

Does the word "Pharisee" mean anything to you?

It should. The Pharisees were Hebrews. Since the Pharisees are Hebrew, the cannot be Greek.

Why would the Pharisees be impressed by some moron quoting a Greek text, especially when that part of the text contradicts the Hebrew Torah?

Because Luke attributes certain passages quoted from the Septuagint to Jesus and those particular passages contradict the Torah.

Do you admit the Septuagint is in error?

Because, if you don't, then you must concede that the Torah is error.

If you admit that the Septuagint is in error, then Jesus was quoting false scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 04:06 PM

153 posts, read 138,272 times
Energy cannot be destroyed. But, more to the point of the OP, I suggest (if someone already hasn't) that you go to Youtube and watch some of those NDE accounts (Near-death experiences). Specifically, I would look for the ones that were shown on the television show called, "I Survived: Beyond and Back." You may re-think that "seeing black" theory.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:51 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
Energy cannot be destroyed.
Please don't quote mine the Law of Conservation of Energy to try and make it into something it's not.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:18 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
Energy cannot be destroyed. But, more to the point of the OP, I suggest (if someone already hasn't) that you go to Youtube and watch some of those NDE accounts (Near-death experiences). Specifically, I would look for the ones that were shown on the television show called, "I Survived: Beyond and Back." You may re-think that "seeing black" theory.

Energy exists in innumerable non-sentient forms. Who's to say our energy doesn't become just another part of the non-conscious cosmos after we die?

Old 05-19-2019, 02:30 AM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Energy exists in innumerable non-sentient forms. Who's to say our energy doesn't become just another part of the non-conscious cosmos after we die?
Energy has to be transformed in some way. We know of nothing that can transform the energy that comprises our consciousness other than our brain. Once production ceases there is nothing to transform what has been produced into anything else.

Old 05-19-2019, 06:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Energy has to be transformed in some way. We know of nothing that can transform the energy that comprises our consciousness other than our brain. Once production ceases there is nothing to transform what has been produced into anything else.
Its probably more like when a cell dies in you but you keep going. The cell isn't around anymore to experience you, or anything else.

Old 05-19-2019, 11:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its probably more like when a cell dies in you but you keep going. The cell isn't around anymore to experience you, or anything else.
That is pretty bleak...we just live 70-80 yrs (give or take), and then just Not exist anymore, in ANY capacity!!

Whats the point of all this then? Why bother caring about how we live our lives or the things we do?

Old 05-19-2019, 12:04 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is pretty bleak...we just live 70-80 yrs (give or take), and then just Not exist anymore, in ANY capacity!!

Whats the point of all this then? Why bother caring about how we live our lives or the things we do?
I'm already 70 years old. Does it surprise you that I care how I live my life or the things that I do? I have the wondrous gift of sentient consciousness. At least for a little while. Squandering my gift has never seemed like an option.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Yes, but the amazing part of my experience is that my sense of Self is now a part of the ONENESS. I used the analogy of the Wave at a sporting event to inadequately convey it. That went against my expectations of Nirvana in the Buddhist concept.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:28 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post

Because you live with yourself and others now...today and every day and what you experience tomorrow and all the rest of your 'real' tomorrows can depend greatly on what you do today.
Why count on this supposed 'eternal life' when it's hard to find any substantial number of believers that can even agree to what that 'life' is like?
Christianity and it's promise of 'everlasting life', has got to be the biggest snake oil pitch in the world.
"I'm going to sell you this and you should govern your life around it but, haha, you won't know what I sold you until it's too late to get a refund "

Last edited by old_cold; 05-19-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality