U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-21-2019, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,454 posts, read 10,395,261 times
Reputation: 20311

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Iím personally involved through a professional organization/committee for Civil Rights. Anyone can get involved with AU, however. Before a bill becomes State Law, it passes through several steps and during committee consideration (early on), there is a public hearing. This is where public participation is needed (and where mocking, anger, and anti-theism would be completely ineffective).
What does "involved" mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2019, 01:01 PM
 
39,035 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Reputation: 5082
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I’m personally involved through a professional organization/committee for Civil Rights. Anyone can get involved with AU, however. Before a bill becomes State Law, it passes through several steps and during committee consideration (early on), there is a public hearing. This is where public participation is needed (and where mocking and anti-theism would be completely ineffective, even harmful).
That's good. In fact, i would urge all those who value religious freedom (as distinct for freedom for Christian Fundamentalism and nobody else) to get 'involved'.

That said I reject the idea that what we do is ineffective and even harmful (even if i accepted that it was just 'mocking' and 'anti -theism'). One might argue that just the old silent 6% atheists of the old days could just make the court cases that strike down these religious initiatives designed to shoehorn or smuggle religion into education.

Court cases take money. I don't know where the money comes from for these cases on the irreligious side - i know where it comes from on the religious side. So the question of a large basis of support for these cases, social and financial has to be considered, or these cases would just be a few pesky atheists trying to battle religion. A huge 'anti theist' support base would look needful, sooner or later.

Which gets me back to the point that I made earlier. If the activities of the atheists of our kind hasn't contributed to the rise of irreligion, there isn't a shred of evidence that it has harmed it.

So, bottom line. While I agree with the action that you propose, I disagree with your views about us and the harm you think that we are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 05:41 PM
 
13,476 posts, read 4,986,806 times
Reputation: 1365
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

nipped

So, bottom line. While I agree with the action that you propose, I disagree with your views about us and the harm you think that we are doing.
fundies never think they are doing harm ... thats what makes them so harmful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 PM
 
39,035 posts, read 10,825,389 times
Reputation: 5082
This message is hidden because Arach Angle is on your ignore list.

did he say anything worth noting, anyone?I am en eternal optimist (some may have noticed) and i gotta dream that the Arachnid will one day start to see reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 PM
 
11,235 posts, read 11,256,867 times
Reputation: 3445
The vast majority of "Christians" couldn't care less about Jesus Christ. For 98% of so-called Christians out there Jesus is just a badge to identify themselves as "not Muslim" or "not atheist" etc. Just ask any of them "What is John 3:16?" and they'll answer "I have no idea. Is John meeting someone at 3:16 this afternoon?" These Christians are decent people who wouldn't insult a fly. It's the 2% hardcore fundies are so judgmental of others. They're the ones slinging the mud and the atheists are the ones being pelted so they just throw mud back. It's just reactionary. If the fundies would stop with the accusations and judgmental, "You're going to hell" stuff the atheists would be perfect ladies and gentlemen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,258 posts, read 504,513 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
If the fundies would stop with the accusations and judgmental, "You're going to hell" stuff the atheists would be perfect ladies and gentlemen.
Just curious - why would being told on a forum ‘you’re going to hell’ bother an atheist? It doesn’t exist.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 05-21-2019 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Status: "Smacking fundies." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,782 posts, read 13,404,281 times
Reputation: 11668
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Just curious - why would Ďyouíre going to hellí bother an atheist? It doesnít exist.
It would bother anyone of sense and compassion who knew that children were being indoctrinated into believing eternally roasting in hell not only existed as a possibility - but it was all they were worthy of.

Count your blessings if you don't have friends and/or family members enmeshed in fundie-think.

Wake up if you think it isn't a "thing."

Or, just continue on with that nice, big ole hat obscuring reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,258 posts, read 504,513 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It would bother anyone of sense and compassion who knew that children were being indoctrinated into believing eternally roasting in hell not only existed as a possibility - but it was all they were worthy of.

Count your blessings if you don't have friends and/or family members enmeshed in fundie-think.

Wake up if you think it isn't a "thing."

Or, just continue on with that nice, big ole hat obscuring reality.
Yeah, you sound full of sense and compassion - lol. I guess I’m going to hell.

Btw, the issue was not whether it’s a thing or not (or anything about kids) - the question was, why would it bother an atheist to be told by a stranger in a forum he was going to hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
22,454 posts, read 10,395,261 times
Reputation: 20311
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Just curious - why would being told on a forum ‘you’re going to hell’ bother an atheist? It doesn’t exist.
Because it's an insult, and it's not very pleasant being told you are something "less" than the other person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2019, 10:03 PM
 
Location: San Francisco
2,258 posts, read 504,513 times
Reputation: 1135
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Because it's an insult, and it's not very pleasant being told you are something "less" than the other person.
But you arenít something less - because hell isnít real. But thanks for the rational, honest answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top