Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 08:26 AM

141 posts, read 58,791 times

Advertisements

I'm reminded of a story I heard about a guy named Chip.

He was on a basketball team. He was a devout Christian, and the star of the team was a devout unbeliever. They played the season together. At the end, the star came to Chip and told him something. It went kinda like this.

"Look Chip, I disagree with every single thing you believe about your god and your faith. I'll never be like you and I don't want to be. But, I will say this. You are the most "real" man on this team. Unlike most so called Christians I know, you don't just talk, you also walk. Plus...one thing you've never done...ever....you've never shown me disrespect even though I may have disrespected you here and there...So, when it's all said and done...I give you my respect."

When I die I so hope...SO hope...it is said of me that I was real in my faith and that showed respect to all.

In closing, I have to mention this---there are two sides to every story.

I've been shown basic respect by several folks here. And, that is greatly appreciated. One person in particular?
Transponder. From day one, he's disagreed with me, on the aspect of God, pretty much 100%. But, it's always been done with "class" so to speak. Why, he's even lightly defended me in a post or two I've read.

That...I can respect in turn. And, that's a person I'll listen to in the effort to understand just what it is they're saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,064,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
I spent weeks/months answering to your (and others) interrogations and accusations that I was some sort of ‘undercover Christian spy’ and other such nonsense (and it is STILL happening as evidenced by your current accusation/insult lol) all in the hope I’d either find an intelligent discussion/debate or at the least, garner some support for the cause against PB. I had some success with the latter; but surprisingly, only with several agnostics (NO atheists) who messaged me and asked how they can get involved with AU (or the role I play) and wanted to know more. Even now, you ask in an antagonizing, spiteful way underneath the direct accusation I’m ‘appeasing christians’ (and then can’t give a direct response as to how I’m supposedly doing this). Why don’t you answer one of my questions for a change? Or better yet, go back to ignoring me.
I think they were merely hoping that your stances were not on feeling but on some communicateable logic.
It is wrong for them to assume you would care what they have experienced and learned (and feel).

Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I know I don’t care about anyone’s beliefs - just don’t want it foisted upon me.
"Not caring" long enough is a fantastic way to lose a battle. Most conservative Christian factions definitely care and definitely work and wait to get stronger until they can foist their beliefs upon their children and the society around them (so that their children are not "corrupted" against their indoctrination).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Why didn'y you just answer his question? I'd think there would be some readers interested in what you do to fight this Project Blitz.
O.K. this idea about "Project Blitz" has been thrown around a lot, I'll look it up now.

[Edit: It's an online apparel store?... second edit: Oh a religious death-rattle for resurrection, might work since babies are born ignorant]

Old 05-18-2019, 08:31 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,322,357 times
Those who use religion as a tool to aid them in THEIR life are fine, those who use their religion as a weapon to attack, insult or mock others and also use that religion to attack science, education or the rights if others deserve no respect. I do not need to respect a claim that I cannot love my wife because I am not Christian. I do not have to respect a claim that I am an atheist because I hate God, am angry with a church or that I want to commit sins.

There are many believers posting on these forums with which I believe I could sit on a patio all afternoon over a few cold drinks and discuss religion and atheism over and leave as friends, I am sure that there are other believers that I could do the same except not once discussing religion and all would be fine and I am also sure that with some religious folks the time spent would be heated and short. There are also a couple of atheists with whom I prefer not to share a patio with.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, I wasn't ignoring you. For quite a while I didn't find any of your posts to be particularly intriguing to me.

It seems to me that (and others may disagree) that your responses to christian dominance are sort of "soft". Polite. Gentle. Which is fine.

Except that I then have a hard time finding those types of responses as "fighting". Words are important to me. I don't see the "fighting" part that you claim.

[...snip...]
Maybe he means an important "soft fight (in defense and preservation and growth)" of emotion, positive-only ideas, human psychology, etc.

Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasualVisitor View Post
I'm reminded of a story I heard about a guy named Chip.

He was on a basketball team. He was a devout Christian, and the star of the team was a devout unbeliever. They played the season together. At the end, the star came to Chip and told him something. It went kinda like this.

"Look Chip, I disagree with every single thing you believe about your god and your faith. I'll never be like you and I don't want to be. But, I will say this. You are the most "real" man on this team. Unlike most so called Christians I know, you don't just talk, you also walk. Plus...one thing you've never done...ever....you've never shown me disrespect even though I may have disrespected you here and there...So, when it's all said and done...I give you my respect."

When I die I so hope...SO hope...it is said of me that I was real in my faith and that showed respect to all.

In closing, I have to mention this---there are two sides to every story.

I've been shown basic respect by several folks here. And, that is greatly appreciated. One person in particular?
Transponder. From day one, he's disagreed with me, on the aspect of God, pretty much 100%. But, it's always been done with "class" so to speak. Why, he's even lightly defended me in a post or two I've read.

That...I can respect in turn. And, that's a person I'll listen to in the effort to understand just what it is they're saying.
I value that greatly, and I don't expect you to agree with or be convinced by me, but either understanding or respect will do fine. Getting both would be even better.

And if you talk respect, you'll get it from me automatically, even if we disagree. Oh, Btw, if we ever talk about 'God' and Jesus, we might be amazed at how much we agree on.

"Why, he's even lightly defended me in a post or two I've read. "

God, I'm glad you said 'Lightly'. Otherwise i might find myself up before the Darwinist - religious conformity committee

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-18-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-18-2019, 08:50 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
"Not caring" long enough is a fantastic way to lose a battle. Most conservative Christian factions definitely care and definitely work and wait to get stronger until they can foist their beliefs upon their children and the society around them (so that their children are not "corrupted" against their indoctrination).

O.K. this idea about "Project Blitz" has been thrown around a lot, I'll look it up now.

[Edit: It's an online apparel store?... second edit: Oh a religious death-rattle for resurrection, might work since babies are born ignorant]
Yes. Look it up and you'll just see sneakers. What a smokescreen!

Old 05-18-2019, 09:32 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
corp, to the rational person its not appeasing them. these people have been scared by religion, abused by it actually. how do adult children of abuse behave when triggered? What would you experience when talking about a subject with an adult child of abuse that has been triggered?
Yeah, I recognize that. I also think people take things personally. Both extremes (fundamentalists and anti-theism) are the result of imbalance and unresolved conflict, pain, anger, etc. Anyone who would harm a child (or another) in the name of religion is obviously not well. And, sadly, some of those who experienced said trauma ‘hate religion’ rather than recognize it was a person or persons who inflicted the abuse, not a thing (which I think is crucial to their healing process). It’s no different than an abused wife, for example, who hates all men as a result of her abuse. Unfortunately, it’s not a healthy resolution. We simply can’t (morally or legally) impose our disbeliefs (or beliefs) on other people.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:36 AM

8,658 posts, read 3,861,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I think they were merely hoping that your stances were not on feeling but on some communicateable logic.
It is wrong for them to assume you would care what they have experienced and learned (and feel).
It has never been presented to me as a desire to communicate experiences or feelings. It’s been expressed as personal anger against me and a ‘pack mentality’ I didn’t belong.

Old 05-18-2019, 09:44 AM

50,786 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
It has never been presented to me as a desire to communicate experiences or feelings. It’s been expressed as personal anger against me and a ‘pack mentality’ I didn’t belong.
One thing you apparently didn't do was seriously consider what so many of us were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality