Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,348,336 times

Advertisements

I think attitude is very important. I've seen both good and bad as we all have and if people would sit back and think how attitude affects not just ourselves but those we are around, such as our family and coworkers, the world would be a better place.

It's been 4 weeks now since my surgery and I'm recovering well. I had a port put in a couple of weeks ago for my chemo treatments in a few weeks and that's annoying but it's not as bad as it was in the beginning.
I've been told many times since my cancer diagnosis that attitude is extremely important. Good attitudes will help the healing quicker. Bad attitudes do the opposite. I have had and will continue to have my bad days and was told that was normal but to have a pity party for 10 minutes compared to having one everyday will also help determine how healthy I become in the future. It's funny how the mind controls so much of the body like that but I'm here to say it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 01:24 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I think attitude is very important. I've seen both good and bad as we all have and if people would sit back and think how attitude affects not just ourselves but those we are around, such as our family and coworkers, the world would be a better place.

It's been 4 weeks now since my surgery and I'm recovering well. I had a port put in a couple of weeks ago for my chemo treatments in a few weeks and that's annoying but it's not as bad as it was in the beginning.
I've been told many times since my cancer diagnosis that attitude is extremely important. Good attitudes will help the healing quicker. Bad attitudes do the opposite. I have had and will continue to have my bad days and was told that was normal but to have a pity party for 10 minutes compared to having one everyday will also help determine how healthy I become in the future. It's funny how the mind controls so much of the body like that but I'm here to say it's true.

Songinthewind,it is very good to hear from you and it is good to know that you have such a positive attitude about your situation and yes it is amazing how a person's attitude can affect the body,you sound like you are doing well and have a very positive attitude,that is good and it will help you through this trying time,I will offer up prayers to the Creator for you and asked that he looks over you. osay

Old 04-02-2010, 01:39 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
songinthewind7: I think you are absolutely right. Attitude has a lot to do with a successful recovery. Best wishes!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:13 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,045,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Come and sit for a while Jazzymom, calm the spirit within you and sit in silence, it can be comforting and therapeutic, a little helpful advice from this old heathen. When one enters into a debate with another over whatever subject it may be, it is always wise to stay calm and choose your words carefully before speaking, should your opponent decide to relegate the debate to a lower level, do not accept, it is a bait that one should not fall for and brings you down to that level, sometimes it is best to say nothing at all.

There is an old saying from Luther Standing Bear: Conversation was never begun at once, nor in a hurried manner, no one was quick with a question, no matter how important, and no one was pressed for an answer. A pause giving time for thought was truly a courteous way of beginning and conducting a conversation. Silence was meaningful with the Native American, and his granting a space of silence to the speechmaker and his own moment of silence before talking was done in the practice of true politeness and regard for the rule that, "thought comes before speech"
Thank you for your wise words I will take them to heart.....

Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
Wilma Pearl Mankiller, 1946-2010

A great woman, a good friend............

Quote:
Wilma Pearl Mankiller, the first woman to serve as principal chief of the Cherokee Nation and a noted leader who met with presidents and worked tirelessly for American Indians, died this morning of pancreatic cancer, a tribal spokesman said. She was 64.

Mankiller was elected the first female deputy chief and president of the tribal council in 1985. In 1987, she was elected to serve as the first female principal chief of the Cherokee Nation, the second-largest tribe in the United States. She was re-elected in 1991 and chose not to seek re-election in 1995.

Chad Smith, principal chief of the Cherokee Nation expressed sadness.

"We feel overwhelmed and lost when we realize she has left us but we should reflect on what legacy she leaves us. We are better people and a stronger tribal nation because her example of Cherokee leadership, statesmanship, humility, grace, determination and decisiveness.

Gov. Brad Henry called her "an inspirational leader and a great American, someone who was truly a legend in her own time."

"As a leader and a person, Chief Wilma Mankiller continually defied the odds and overcame seemingly insurmountable obstacles to better her tribe, her state and her nation. Oklahoma, the Cherokee Nation and the United States will dearly miss Wilma and her visionary leadership, but her words and deeds will live on forever to benefit future generations.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mankiller family and Wilma's many friends and loved ones," Henry said.

She was a leader in women's rights and Indian rights and served on the boards of numerous humanitarian groups and foundations.

Read more: NewsOK
Typical of her and her courage and graciousness is her announcement of her losing her fight with pancreatic cancer:

"I want my family and friends to know that I am mentally and spiritually prepared for this journey; a journey that all human beings will take at one time or another. I learned a long time ago that I can't control the challenges the Creator sends my way but I can control the way I think about them and deal with them. On balance, I have been blessed with an extraordinarily rich and wonderful life, filled with incredible experiences ... It's been my privilege to meet and be touched by thousands of people in my life and I regret not being able to deliver this message personally to so many of you."

Old 04-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Wilma Pearl Mankiller, 1946-2010

A great woman, a good friend............

Typical of her and her courage and graciousness is her announcement of her losing her fight with pancreatic cancer:

"I want my family and friends to know that I am mentally and spiritually prepared for this journey; a journey that all human beings will take at one time or another. I learned a long time ago that I can't control the challenges the Creator sends my way but I can control the way I think about them and deal with them. On balance, I have been blessed with an extraordinarily rich and wonderful life, filled with incredible experiences ... It's been my privilege to meet and be touched by thousands of people in my life and I regret not being able to deliver this message personally to so many of you."

This was a woman who was far ahead of her time and the rest of the head of states could take lessons from her. They will never catch up to the farsightedness of this Great and Honored woman.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:36 AM

YouTube - Trail of Tears: Cherokee Legacy Native American Indian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW8rI...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RIJ_...eature=related

Last edited by Goodpasture; 04-10-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-10-2010, 08:50 AM

I've been seeing a lot of information lately about evolution and I have seen a few threads that have come up on the same subject and I've had a few people ask me how I feel about this especially with some of the newer discoveries and how it may pertain to my belief and culture. Now I can't speak for everybody and I'm not going to pretend to and I continue to have a belief in a Creator, however I am open-minded enough to want to learn about this new knowledge that has come forward about our species and why not, after all we are a species of animal that is far more advanced than all other species and we have the capabilities of thought. I believe those capabilities were given to us through a process of evolution, after all we are evolving all the time and a lot of that has to do with our environment, when we as a species first walked upon this land it was a very violent environment, mother Earth was constantly changing and it is still changing today and we as a species had to change in order to survive, so it does not surprise me that there were many different examples of our species, some species did not survive because they could not adapt to the changes in the environment while others were able to do so and have become what we are today and even today we are changing and not just due to our environment but also because of the knowledge that we have obtained over the many years, some good, some not so good, but this is how we learn and this is how we advance our species in order to survive the next change of our environment. There may come a time in the far future when the belief in the different organized religions may be but a distant memory, but that doesn't mean that we will not have a belief in a Creator of some kind, we still need that belief in order to try and explain some of the things that are yet to be unexplainable, but at the same time we must be open-minded enough to realize that there will come a time when we will obtain the knowledge to be able to explain the unexplainable. I have often heard it said that knowledge is the enemy of religion, to some that may be true, to others I can see where religion and knowledge can work with one another in order to challenge us to look further. My own native belief is based on a very spiritual belief, it's not a religion, its teachings, and stories that have been handed down from generation to generation, I respect the spirits of all living things but I do not worship them, I worship no deity as is done in organized religion, my Creator does not require that and maybe that's why I'm much closer to him, through my Creator I have learned respect, respect for all living things, which gives me a better understanding of life on mother Earth in that everything is sacred and deserves to be treated with respect, but I have also learned that among all the species of animals, we are the weakest and the only thing that puts us above all the others is our ability to think and to reason things out and that is something that we have evolved to and will continue to do so. Mind you these are just a few random thoughts of my own and maybe they're not complete but after all, I'm still learning and evolving.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Like you, I have learned to respect the lives around me. I have become aware of the commonality in all of creation.....that this creation cannot be separated from the creator. But a "god" that requires constant adulation, constant flattery, and repeated petitions does not seem particularly godlike. An entity whose ego is massaged by the fawning of petitioners cannot be one of all that much power or all that secure in their role.

Evolution is part of the way this creation works. I recall the story of the mice of White Sands New Mexico. The mice are almost a pure white. A few miles north of White Sands is the Malpais Lava beds where the rocks are as black as they can be. The same mice......same species.......are as black as they can be. Obviously the white mice in the lava beds are more easily seen and thus are the targets of predators.........yet the creator made both colors of mice........and in one area the lighter the color the greater the survivability while in another area the darker the color the greater the survivability. This is evolution.......and one principle that is universal is the concept of change.....everything changes, all the time.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
The creator didn't make the colors. Evolution (beneficial mutation and survival of the fittest) did. The ones with the best camouflage survived to reproduce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality