Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi jojajn,

I explained at length in another thread why those genealogies appear as they do.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...gin-birth.html

Also, yes there are minor points of disagreement between Kings and Chronicles that are probably copyist errors for example. The are also some differences between Alexandrian, Byzantine and Western New Testament texts. I also presented one of those errors in that thread. It isn't easy to know what is what since the "inerrancy" types hide it and those that are not believers try to manufacture them. It is a relatively small group who wants to actually find out what it really says from my experience.
All and all there are very few problems and in general are legitimate efforts to document even if there are minor variations. There are no blatant anachronisms such as one finds in the Koran with Egyptian crucification in 1200 AD or the Book of Mormon with bees and horses in the New World etc.
Why then doesn't Luke say Mary the mother of Jesus instead of saying Joseph?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 08:21 PM

605 posts, read 1,107,440 times
Two things need to be kept in mind when bringing up these "contradictions."

1. Not all the contradictions are really contradictions.

2. It cannot be stressed enough that despite what believers say, there are hints here and there of writers writing with different agendas which creates some of these contradictions.

Regards,

DeGuire

Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Genesis 1:27 (New International Version)

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

Corinthians 11:7
7A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,005,618 times
Matthew 5:38
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"

Matthew 5:39
"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Old 12-23-2008, 09:39 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Here's one:

Genesis 38:8-10
And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he slew him also.

Leviticus 20:21
And if a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing: he hath uncovered his brother's nakedness; they shall be childless.
That's not a contradiction

Old 12-23-2008, 09:40 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why then doesn't Luke say Mary the mother of Jesus instead of saying Joseph?
I explained it in detail in that thread.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deguire View Post
Quote:
Again the anger of the LORD was aroused against Israel, and He moved David against them to say, “Go, number Israel and Judah.II Samuel 24:1

Quote:
Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. I Chronicles 21:1
This is really only a contradiction because it reflects theological evolution of Jewish thought as they moved from attributing all things to God, whether good or evil, to assigning all things evil to the character known as Satan.
Not a contradiction. Both statements are true. Like in the book of Job, God allowed Satan to move David. So God did it in the sense He is sovereign and Satan did it in the sense he was trying to destroy David.

We have free will, and our flesh wars within that free-will.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
2 Kings 2:11
"And Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven."

John 3:13
"No man hath ascended up to heaven but he that came down from heaven, ... the Son of Man."
This is like the quote mining believers and in particular, Creationists, get accused of.

In John, Jesus is speaking about His authority to say what He was speaking to Nicodemus about. Elijah indeed went to Heaven, but Jesus was FROM Heaven. His quote in John (vs 10-13) was saying "Look, you think you know about Heaven? You don't listen to me about things here, how will you listen to me about Heaven? No one's gone to Heaven to speak to you except me."

It's two different things all together there, LIYF.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Genesis 1:27 (New International Version)

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

Corinthians 11:7
7A man ought not to cover his head,[b] since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9neither was man created for woman, but woman for man.
That's not a contradiction.

Man and woman were created in God's image. Man first, then woman....both in the image of God....

Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
Matthew 5:38
"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"

Matthew 5:39
"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also."
Jesus was calling His followers to extend grace, mercy, and long-suffering to those who attacked them and he was establishing a higher law....I've posted the Hebrews scripture before, but if you'd like to see them, I'll be happy to post them again or find the threads where we discussed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality