Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 02:10 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,041,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehenningsen View Post
I may soon do that kdbrich!.. You will find that as a person, I am a very friendly person that knows how to work and care for society.. You will also find that I don't ask for anything but the right to live.. I give much more than I take, and not because I do it out of obligation, fear or anything that makes me do it against my will.. I am this way because I 'do' care, and I am loyal to God and humanity..

I don't mean to be a jerk--not my intent. I'm sure you're a nice person.

On the other hand, I do believe the Bible teaches that homosexuality is wrong--and I'd be going against my beliefs if I glossed over that.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:12 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,186,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I don't mean to be a jerk--not my intent. I'm sure you're a nice person.

On the other hand, I do believe the Bible teaches that homosexuality is wrong--and I'd be going against my beliefs if I glossed over that.
I understand and respect that kdbrich, but please do not be a part of the movement that forces people to live against their beliefs for the sake of your own.. (I do not mean to let pedophiles, rapists and murderers to roam the streets because they 'Do harm' people)..

Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I understand and respect that kdbrich, but please do not be a part of the movement that forces people to live against their beliefs for the sake of your own.. (I do not mean to let pedophiles, rapists and murderers to roam the streets because they 'Do harm' people)..

Now we're just parsing words. I'm sorry--I can't and won't support a candidate or vote for allowing a change in definition of what marriage is.

Having said that, this thread really is about finding a good church--if you want to discuss it, let's take it to a different thread.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Now we're just parsing words. I'm sorry--I can't and won't support a candidate or vote for allowing a change in definition of what marriage is.

Having said that, this thread really is about finding a good church--if you want to discuss it, let's take it to a different thread.
My intent on coming to this thread is to be careful of who they speak to about a church in OMaha.. And I saw how much different you were when you were speaking to people that you never new and the image you portray.. And believe it or not kdbrich, you are offensive to people you feel that are outside of your 'culture'.. And you play a part in these culture wars that several religeons declare on people..

The most important thing to me is to get people in line with the belief that people in America have the right to live, worship, love, spend and whatever it is that will enhance their lives the most without the intrusion from government. And it is this concept that these denominations claim they support, but they only act on these beliefs within a narrow scope that doesn't include these cultures outside of their system.

I do not want our children, grand-children, great grand-children to have to be afraid for their life because of these groups of individuals that are doing what they can to incriminate who they are.

I hope one day kdbrich that you wake up to the fact that you are part of this culture war that is narrowing the definition of life and liberty to not include anything out of your scope of beliefs..

Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM

Of course you have the right to live w/out intrusion by the government. Are you trying to imply that I or any other Christian on this board would harm you because you're gay?

Ya know...you say I'm offensive because I speak my mind. I'm sorry...but honestly...do you have any clue how sick and tired we are of being told that you are "persecuted" or that we are bigots because we dare to suggest that you shouldn't have your own form of marriage?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Of course you have the right to live w/out intrusion by the government. Are you trying to imply that I or any other Christian on this board would harm you because you're gay?

Ya know...you say I'm offensive because I speak my mind. I'm sorry...but honestly...do you have any clue how sick and tired we are of being told that you are "persecuted" or that we are bigots because we dare to suggest that you shouldn't have your own form of marriage?
There's a big difference in having an opinion and:

A) Putting up petitions and signing away any potential of this civil libery, even if it were civil unions
B) Calling us recruiters
C) Calling us child molestors
D) Saying that we must abondon this sin or we go to hell, while declaring 'another' sin as meaningless..
E) Saying that we are the cause of natural disasters brought about from the wrath of God.
F) Saying that we are a big cause of divorce.
G) Saying that we are the biggest reason for 'moral decline' in america.
H) Saying that we do not have the right to be protected against people who threaten us physically based on orientation..
I) Saying that it is religeous freedome to not allow gay kids or camp leaders in the boy scouts.
J) Saying that it is okay for people with 'moral convictions' to turn away a homosexual in need without any type of referral..
K) Calling us three year olds because 'we don't get what we want'
L) Calling us diseased
M) Saying that it is the right of employers to fire homosexuals for 'moral convictions'
N) Calling the gay pride parade as disgusting because of the few, despite its true history and meaning
O) Putting homosexuals in camps to change them to become straight and either they 'change' or they are declared as not cooperating and are kicked out of church.
P) Boycotting Disney World for letting gay pride parades there
Q) Countless times on tv and the radio stating that homosexuality is a sin that deserves death.
R) Refusing to acknowledge homosexuals being killed in Nazi Germany
S) You standing up for the person who said that gay pride parades are as offensive as the westboro baptist church protests

Shall I continue?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 PM

Let's take it out of this thread. I'll vigorously debate it with you on the other one, but not here. This thread is not to debate gay marriage.

Quote:
There's a big difference in having an opinion and:

A) Putting up petitions and signing away any potential of this civil libery, even if it were civil unions
B) Calling us recruiters
C) Calling us child molestors
D) Saying that we must abondon this sin or we go to hell, while declaring 'another' sin as meaningless..
E) Saying that we are the cause of natural disasters brought about from the wrath of God.
F) Saying that we are a big cause of divorce.
G) Saying that we are the biggest reason for 'moral decline' in america.
H) Saying that we do not have the right to be protected against people who threaten us physically based on orientation..
I) Saying that it is religeous freedome to not allow gay kids or camp leaders in the boy scouts.
J) Saying that it is okay for people with 'moral convictions' to turn away a homosexual in need without any type of referral..
K) Calling us three year olds because 'we don't get what we want'
L) Calling us diseased
M) Saying that it is the right of employers to fire homosexuals for 'moral convictions'
N) Calling the gay pride parade as disgusting because of the few, despite its true history and meaning
O) Putting homosexuals in camps to change them to become straight and either they 'change' or they are declared as not cooperating and are kicked out of church.
P) Boycotting Disney World for letting gay pride parades there
Q) Countless times on tv and the radio stating that homosexuality is a sin that deserves death.
R) Refusing to acknowledge homosexuals being killed in Nazi Germany
S) You standing up for the person who said that gay pride parades are as offensive as the westboro baptist church protests

Shall I continue?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM

17 posts, read 67,346 times
Anyone know anything about Shadow Lake Church in Papillion? What's it like?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,518,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer1965usa View Post
Anyone know anything about Shadow Lake Church in Papillion? What's it like?
Its one of the newer popular churches for younger married folks in that part of town. Teaching tens to be surface/application. Music tends to be contemporary. Its a Mennonite church and I think the Pastor graduated from Grace.

Specific questions? I know folks that go there so might be able to get ran answer from their perspective.

In Papillion If want large then Shadow Lake, but if want smaller I would ook at Papio Creek (http://www.papiocreek.org/default.aspx - broken link)or Overland Hills church.

If trying to compare I'd say:
  • Shadow Lake is more along a Willow Creek Style - popular and been growing. Its in a fundraising campaign for a new building - probably 3-5 year out.
  • Papio Creek is very small and very community focused - has a unique set-up in downtown Papillion with offices in the old Masonic building and services in the old theatre building.
  • Overland Hills is a mix of younger marrieds and older couples and a more deeper theological type teaching style - not a Willow Creek and more of a mixed worship style.
All three would be considered evangelical, but very different from each other.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:22 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,571,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Its one of the newer popular churches for younger married folks in that part of town. Teaching tens to be surface/application. Music tends to be contemporary. Its a Mennonite church and I think the Pastor graduated from Grace.

Specific questions? I know folks that go there so might be able to get ran answer from their perspective.

In Papillion If want large then Shadow Lake, but if want smaller I would ook at Papio Creek (http://www.papiocreek.org/default.aspx - broken link)or Overland Hills church.

If trying to compare I'd say:
  • Shadow Lake is more along a Willow Creek Style - popular and been growing. Its in a fundraising campaign for a new building - probably 3-5 year out.
  • Papio Creek is very small and very community focused - has a unique set-up in downtown Papillion with offices in the old Masonic building and services in the old theatre building.
  • Overland Hills is a mix of younger marrieds and older couples and a more deeper theological type teaching style - not a Willow Creek and more of a mixed worship style.
All three would be considered evangelical, but very different from each other.
I wonder how long it'll be before the Willow Creek mega-church wannabe model of churches begins to decline. I have a feeling the decline has already begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality