Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:01 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,505,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
You claim that I see order simply because I want to see order but the truth is, I see order because it is an observable fact. Any environmentalist, doctor or 6th grader realizes how delicately balanced an ecosystem must be to support life. Mathematics proves the odds of attaining and maintaining life as being beyond human comprehension.
How many billion planets do you think there are in the universe?

...because each of those has a chance of attaining and maintaining life. Some will be just the right distance away from a star, and bam! evolution could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:38 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Whatever it is those who have dedicated their lives to the pursuit of knowledge about it seem to agree that what we see is only the surface of what is out there. They are currently solving complex problems which involve multiple dimensions.

A good illustration would be that our universe is one of the droplets at the top of an ocean wave and as we touch or merge into other droplets there is a real effect. Like an explanation of black holes and the disappearing energy and mass.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,016,556 times
Quote:
What do you believe?
As I said before atheism, like science, says we don't currently know.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:53 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,402,426 times
Quote:
Delusion ignores truth. The truth is people of faith are far more likely to help fellow humans in time of need providing hope for their future. Those who follow he Atheists ideology are less likely to provide lasting help because they have little to no hope for a long-term future.

Bud,
Why do so many Atheists spend so much time focusing on something (God) they claim does not exist?

I'll tell you why...it irritates the snot out of some of us. And it is fun....and we learn a lot....the more we read on the subject the more we learn that we are right.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

...because each of those has a chance of attaining and maintaining life. Some will be just the right distance away from a star, and bam! evolution could happen.
There is actual math to this. We see roughly 400,000,000,000 stars in our galaxy alone, with about 100,000,000,000 galaxies in our observable universe. These are just rough estimates here.

That's 4E+22. (40,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) stars. Even if just 1\1000 had a planet, and 1\1,000,000,000 were habitable, we're still talking 4E+9 Habitable planets. 4,000,000,000. FOUR. BILLION. This is an unlikely number too. The number is probably much higher, considering the only exosolar planets we've been able to detect are huge (several times the size of Jupiter). The smallest planet we've seen is about the size of Uranus at seven times the mass of Earth.

We're talking *massive* planets here.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:06 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I think the smallest extrasolar planet known at present is less than 3 times the mass of the Earth. When the replacememnt for the Hubble Telescope goes up, an Earth-sized planet may well be discovered. Planets appear to be very common in the Universe. It is inconceivable to me that Earth is the only planet with life.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I think the smallest extrasolar planet known at present is less than 3 times the mass of the Earth. When the replacement for the Hubble Telescope goes up, an Earth-sized planet may well be discovered. Planets appear to be very common in the Universe. It is inconceivable to me that Earth is the only planet with life.
The Kepler telescope has been up for a little bit now and has discovered the least dense exosolar planet to date which is roughly the size of Uranus.

Kepler: The First Five

That would be the most recent research that I've done. Considering we've found over 460 planets now, I could be wrong. As far as I know, there isn't one smaller than the Kepler 4b. As our technology gets even better, I have no doubt we will find smaller planets. I'm simply saying as of yet, we've really only found large planets. If we've found this many large planets without much effort, imagine the number of smaller possible planets.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:25 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,004 times
C'mon now!

We're the beginning of a virus in god's brain and the big bang was a thought process. We should hope they don't perform an early diagnosis.

I wonder if they'll use chemo or radiation.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
C'mon now!

We're the beginning of a virus in god's brain and the big bang was a thought process. We should hope they don't perform an early diagnosis.

I wonder if they'll use chemo or radiation.
Full up lobectomy. We're taking it all out.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
My question remains the same. Why do Atheist, those who are certain there is no God, spend so much time and energy focused on something they “don’t believe in”?
Because of the utter insistence of theist to foist their world view on the rest of us. Get out of our civic and personal lives and we will cease and desist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality