Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
No distress at all, I am not worried, because as education and discoveries become more prevalent and more and more raise their children to see evolution is true and that god is a myth, the believers will become fewer in numbers. It is happening, no matter how you try to ignore it.

Teams can go on losing streaks and become the jokes of the league. Happens all the time.
Well, so far, since the beginning of reasoning man...belief in a God has dominated overwhelmingly.

See, it's part of the evolution you spoke of--"Belief in God" is the "best trait"...if it wasn't, more humans would present with a different trait. That's how "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest" works...the most desirable traits dominate and carry forward. Thus, the "trait" of "Belief in God" dominating...because it's the most desirable trait. That PROVES it...scientifically. Of course, you will get the "weaker" and "less fit" of the species presenting with a different trait...the "most fit" will present with the dominant trait.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post

Strawman, I know Asheville Native doesn't believe that the study of nature actively creates things and I know that no atheist or human for that matter believes that. Why purposely misrepresent people in such a way?
It is all they have to bolster their belief. It is rooted in their desperation to be right, and to hell with the facts.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Science creates only understanding and the ability to utilize the forces at work. But that in do way gives any credence to some lonely deity made it.

The laws of nature and physics, created the universe, and are running it very well, thank you. It is a marvelous and wonderful place. Science is the study of these forces for understanding and to better utilize them for both good and bad.

The pure speculative belief in deities seem to have an unnatural control over the ability of man to reason, so without the slightest hint of proof the deity is assumed to be the force everything. This belief is also doing a really poor job of running things also, all the wars, strife, hatred, intolerance, bigotry, homophobia, and just outright ugliness, all based on these belief systems. The last two wars this country has been involved in, the genocides that have killed millions in Africa in the last decade, and so on all the way back to the invention of imaginary deities.

That is really a very shallow view, but I guess it is 'comfortable' so the people that are afraid to think, stick with it. like on old pair of shoes that should be tossed, but are comfortable.
And who/what was the Legislator of those laws?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well, so far, since the beginning of reasoning man...belief in a God has dominated overwhelmingly.

See, it's part of the evolution you spoke of--"Belief in God" is the "best trait"...if it wasn't, more humans would present with a different trait. That's how "natural selection" and "survival of the fittest" works...the most desirable traits dominate and carry forward. Thus, the "trait" of "Belief in God" dominating...because it's the most desirable trait. That PROVES it...scientifically. Of course, you will get the "weaker" and "less fit" of the species presenting with a different trait...the "most fit" will present with the dominant trait.
Yes it is dominating, fear is a powerful weapon and it is this fear that has ruled since the bible was written. But we are becoming more educated and our kids are beginning to open their eyes and see the truth. The non believers will take hold. It is just a matter of time.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
It is all they have to bolster their belief. It is rooted in their desperation to be right, and to hell with the facts.
Ummmmmm, I was responding to what you wrote:

Originally Posted by Asheville Native
If every single person stopped "believing" in science, it wouldn't care, it would simply continue to create everything from amoeba to gargantuan galaxies, as it did for billions of years before any intelligentce even knew it was there.

What part of that did I not understand? You wrote that absurd statement...and now you are pointing fingers at me in your attempt to back peddle. It was YOUR desperation to be right that made you write something like that...and to hell with the facts.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Yes it is dominating, fear is a powerful weapon and it is this fear that has ruled since the bible was written. But we are becoming more educated and our kids are beginning to open their eyes and see the truth. The non believers will take hold. It is just a matter of time.
Nea, it had nothing to do with the Bible being written...belief in Gods was around waaaaaay before the Bible was written.

It's not about fear...it's about evolution, natural selection, and survival of the fittest. "Belief in a God" is the best trait to have...that is why 90% of people present with that trait. MOF it is one of the most prevelant "traits" there is among humans. The 10% that don't believe are the weaker, less fit, humans. If non-belief was the best trait...it would dominate...but it doesn't, because it isn't.

This isn't opinion, speculation, or conjecture...this is scientific PROOF. The "fact" of the matter...if you will.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,675,600 times
Quote:
Nea, it had nothing to do with the Bible being written...belief in Gods was around waaaaaay before the Bible was written.

It's not about fear...it's about evolution, natural selection, and survival of the fittest. "Belief in a God" is the best trait to have...that is why 90% of people present with that trait. MOF it is one of the most prevelant "traits" there is among humans. The 10% that don't believe are the weaker, less fit, humans. If non-belief was the best trait...it would dominate...but it doesn't, because it isn't.

This isn't opinion, speculation, or conjecture...this is scientific PROOF. The "fact" of the matter...if you will.
Yes they were, and most of the stories in the Bible have been "lifted" from the other cultures, as were many of the Christian traditions taken from us heathen Pagans.

And again, 90% of the people do not believe in your god. You are leaving out so many other non god religions and religions that believe in a different god and gods. Your Poll was taken from like 2300 people clearly they didnt poll the whole world!LOL. And I beg to differ that us non believers a weaker and less fit. We are stronger, more educated and more open minded ,loving and accepting, which are truly the better traits of people. And in saying the insults you did, I see you are just as the average believers are, when things don't go as you like or someone challenges your beliefs you resort to insults. Typical. And non belief WILL dominate, science and education will take care of that.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:59 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Quote:
And who/what was the Legislator of those laws?
Hung up on the temporary "democracy" thing ain't ya. Well first, we are not a democracy, this is a republic (that was taught in civics class) but aside from that democracy is a mere nothing in the history of the universe. Political architecture and sports scores are immaterial to this debate. They are not legislated, they are, laws of atoms, neutrons, black holes and everything else that exists.

Where did it come from? No one really knows, but in the complete and total absence of any evidence of deities, they are clearly not responsible.

The best minds of today can't answer it, the authors of your collection of urban legends, that "knew" the earth was flat, and the center of the universe absolutely didn't know, but with the almost total lack of any science were desperate to manufacture a theory.

Your god, any god, is nothing but the invention of ignorant men. By ignorant I don't mean stupid, but knew none of the workings of science in order to explain things beyond their knowledge. Why did the sun come back every day? Why did the person stop moving in reference to the dead? Human nature to want an explaniation, and the invention of deities filled that need.

It scared them and the invention of some god that controlled these and all other things gave them an explanation, though ludicrous.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Hung up on the temporary "democracy" thing ain't ya. Well first, we are not a democracy, this is a republic (that was taught in civics class) but aside from that democracy is a mere nothing in the history of the universe. Political architecture and sports scores are immaterial to this debate. They are not legislated, they are, laws of atoms, neutrons, black holes and everything else that exists.

Where did it come from? No one really knows, but in the complete and total absence of any evidence of deities, they are clearly not responsible.

The best minds of today can't answer it, the authors of your collection of urban legends, that "knew" the earth was flat, and the center of the universe absolutely didn't know, but with the almost total lack of any science were desperate to manufacture a theory.

Your god, any god, is nothing but the invention of ignorant men. By ignorant I don't mean stupid, but knew none of the workings of science in order to explain things beyond their knowledge. Why did the sun come back every day? Why did the person stop moving in reference to the dead? Human nature to want an explaniation, and the invention of deities filled that need.

It scared them and the invention of some god that controlled these and all other things gave them an explanation, though ludicrous.
I get it now...you are pulling some Poe stuff on me...right? You are "cranking", aren't you? Cause you can't be serious with some of the crazy things you've written today. Like, "science" created everything, whether anyone believed it or not. And now what I highlighted above...WOW!

I guess Einstein and Collins...and Newton before them..."knew none of the workings of science in order to explain things beyond their knowledge." I knooooooow...what a bunch of scared guys...that didn't/don't understand science...and were/are advocating ludicrous stuff to "explain things".

OK, you got me...I'll admit it. Darn it...it's something I do all the time...I've been doing it all day. Cut with my own sabre!! Wow...Poe...where you least expect it. I tip my hat to you Ash Nat.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,422 times
Quote:
I get it now...you are pulling some Poe stuff on me...right? You are "cranking", aren't you? Cause you can't be serious with some of the crazy things you've written today. Like, "science" created everything, whether anyone believed it or not. And now what I highlighted above...WOW!

I guess Einstein and Collins...and Newton before them..."knew none of the workings of science in order to explain things beyond their knowledge." I knooooooow...what a bunch of scared guys...that didn't/don't understand science...and were/are advocating ludicrous stuff to "explain things".

OK, you got me...I'll admit it. Darn it...it's something I do all the time...I've been doing it all day. Cut with my own sabre!! Wow...Poe...where you least expect it. I tip my hat to you Ash Nat.
Now you are just trolling. What is the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality