Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:18 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

AGoodChristian wrote:
Quote:
Without Christianity you'd have no moral standard, no ten commandments.
It's obvious that this statement is false because atheists like myself don't believe in God or the Christian religion and yet I have a strong sense of morality and what is right and wrong, I just don't have to be threatened with hell in order to live a moral life.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
AGoodChristian wrote:

It's obvious that this statement is false because atheists like myself don't believe in God or the Christian religion and yet I have a strong sense of morality and what is right and wrong, I just don't have to be threatened with hell in order to live a moral life.
Not only that but ....
"A growing body of evidence, though, suggests that humans do have a rudimentary moral sense from the very start of life."

The Moral Life of Babies - NYTimes.com

Old 05-17-2010, 09:54 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
AGoodChristian wrote:

Life in the business world has taught me that there must be a level of trust between customer/vendor. Almost without exception a rule I learned early was that if the customer wears their religion on their sleeve, i.e. big garish cross worn outside business attire, this person is not to be trusted. It has served me well and proven 90%+ accurate.

I even had one that wanted to pray about an addendum he requested to a contract instead of signing the document. Yep this guy wanted to prey alright. He then tried to renege on the contract.

christians so often speak from the platform of ignorance of fact

And here are some annoying facts that support this:
  • Christians make up 75% of the US Population
  • Christians make up 75% of the prison population
  • Atheists make up 10% of the US population
  • Atheists only make up 0.2% of the prison population

Now which group takes the high ground in regards to morals?

Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 AM

102 posts, read 127,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
That's the most frequently asked question from a religious person -- how would you answer it?

Well, it may come in different versions, but they all mean the same thing:

"What do atheists believe?"
"What do you think created the universe?"
"What are your moral values and worldview?"
"Is nature your God?"

What is Atheist's god, you ask?? Don't have one, don't need one.

Athiets don't "believe" anything. We accept the facts of reality based on evidence. There is absoolutely no "belief" involved (belief being the holding of a "fact" to be true despite a lack of evidence.)

We don't think any "who" created the Universe. Mankind's constant exploration of the Universe will soon uncover its origins.

Moral vaues are "natural law". Do unto others as you would have them do to you". It is sound values.

Nature is not my god because I have and need no gods.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoodChristian View Post
If there is no God then everything is permissible. Where do you get your morals from?
It is sad that save for your religion, you would be an immoral person.

So very sad.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoodChristian View Post
If there is no God then everything is permissible. Where do you get your morals from?
Here is the arrogance of believers for all to see.

If effect they are saying "how can anybody possibly be moral that doesn't believe as I do???"

Atheists morality comes from within, not from some carrot-and-stick belief a higher power. If you NEED you religion to be a good person, then by all means keep your religion, but don't ascribe the same sort of moral weakness on others, for we don't all need the "crutch" you do.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:20 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTFrag View Post
It is sad that save for your religion, you would be an immoral person.

So very sad.
I can only agree 100%. People that believe this must be constantly wrestling with their desire to commit atrocities, and usually stop themselves only from the irrational fear of the consequences from an imaginary being.

These people scare me, a lot, as it is not natural to have such feelings to keep in check in regardless of the methods or mind games they use to keep themselves from doing so. These are the people that drown their 5 kids in the tub, and other atrocities.

Perhaps that is why while Atheists make up 10%+ of the population, yet compose only 0.2% of the prison population.

Yet they follow a deity that their urban legends says has murdered between 2 and 10 million people

Old 05-17-2010, 12:12 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTFrag View Post
What is Atheist's god, you ask?? Don't have one, don't need one.

Athiets don't "believe" anything. We accept the facts of reality based on evidence. There is absoolutely no "belief" involved (belief being the holding of a "fact" to be true despite a lack of evidence.)

We don't think any "who" created the Universe. Mankind's constant exploration of the Universe will soon uncover its origins.

Moral vaues are "natural law". Do unto others as you would have them do to you". It is sound values.

Nature is not my god because I have and need no gods.
Let's get something straight...Atheists, like Believers..."believe" EVERYTHING they think, regardless of what is is they are contemplating.

Unless someone would be so irrational to make the determination that information known as "facts" are 100% infallible...and I submit...NOTHING is infallible...we all have to have belief in the data we get.

I find this to be the most egregious of the claims made by the Atheists against the Believers...that they (the Atheists), "go by evidenced based facts"...while the Believers, "go by blind faith".

As fallible as even the most widely held "evidenced based facts" have proved to be..."belief" is ALWAYS a requirement, for ALL information...regardless of opinion as to if there exists a "higher power".

Last edited by GldnRule; 05-17-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-17-2010, 12:36 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Well, wait now, Gldn....

(First, regarding this quote from you: "while the Atheists go "by blind faith", I'll assume you meant "theists". We atheists don't buy into "blind faith" because, well... it's blind! Yuk!)

So now, take these comments:

"I believe I'll have another beer!"

Or...

"I believe that this bowling ball falling on my foot will hurt!"

Or...

"I believe that this is actually a real fossil in my hands, and not a Godly "plant!"

These are not just fantasies! And what if they all come together (like the evidence for Evolution so clearly does...), such as when I'm looking at a dinosaur fossil a friend brought in, in a bowling alley, whilst enjoying a beer?

It's all too much for my head! It's positively incontrovertible!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
What is atheist's God?

Reality, as best I can understand it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality