Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,526 times

Advertisements

I understand the staments made below and i just want to say. you wonder why the recidivism rate is high.when a man makes a wrong choice in life and pays his debt to society by completing his punishment and comes home with the feeling of change and being a better person and then told he cant work,live some where because he has a history it feels like forget it why try.im pretty shore some of the people on here has done stuff they were never caught for from speeding to more.all ex cons are not alike.also lol my aunt and her husband has 22 properties from pa-md and the ones who has trashed the rentals and not paid rent is not the ex cons.its the average people who have fallen on hard times who either skip out in the middle of the night or who dont pay rent for 2 months and get evicted.we have 6 ex felons we rent to and of the 6 we only had problems with one who we suspect is an addict. so get to know the person and fill them out.plus most of the people who rent out properties will be there to get the rent but is no where to be found when stuff needs to be fixed.lol my aunt has a policy that is let me know if you have a felony and we will talk about it.it works better then having someone lie or having the girlfreind apply because the boyfreind has a felony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 02:44 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
We allow criminals to move in to but the felony conviction must have been over 3 yrs ago...so they have proven not have done it again.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 6,418 times
Default It's a damn shame

Convicted felons are not a protected class of citizen.

There are those who would argue discrimination against convicted felons. There are those who would argue that renters and property managers have the right to refuse housing to criminals. Who's right? It's all subjective. When it comes down to unadulterated, law abiding citizens, we are all criminals. Some of us have not got caught, those of us who have deal with the consequences. I am a convicted felon, grand theft in the third degree. I will not dispute that my actions that led to this conviction were at the time..... less than savvy. This was six years ago and now I can't lease a decent apartment because of this conviction. This leads to breaking further laws such as falsifying documents and illegal subleasing. If you are not completely naive you can easily see that categorizing citizens as felons is an easy way to strip their rights away. I was convicted, served my time and learned my lesson, but I guess you really never serve your time completly. The funny thing is that the same people who "invent" and enforce these laws are the same people that are part of the global socio-economic machine that enslaves and exploits people, promotes mass genocide, and protect a system that keeps the working poor in comparitve poverty. It's all good though, soon they'll come out with the Iphone 5 or some other gadget that we can all obsess over and happily trade hours of menial and repetative labor to purchase a hot commodity for $500 that was made in an over-seas sweat shop for less than a dollar. All of these beautiful and expensive toys were put here by Jesus Christ to help us forget how much of a slave we are to the corporate agenda. God bless the good ol' U.S. of A.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlineskeptic View Post

There are those who would argue discrimination against convicted felons. There are those who would argue that renters and property managers have the right to refuse housing to criminals. Who's right? It's all subjective. When it comes down to unadulterated, law abiding citizens, we are all criminals. Some of us have not got caught, those of us who have deal with the consequences. I am a convicted felon, grand theft in the third degree. I will not dispute that my actions that led to this conviction were at the time..... less than savvy. This was six years ago and now I can't lease a decent apartment because of this conviction. This leads to breaking further laws such as falsifying documents and illegal subleasing. If you are not completely naive you can easily see that categorizing citizens as felons is an easy way to strip their rights away. I was convicted, served my time and learned my lesson, but I guess you really never serve your time completly. The funny thing is that the same people who "invent" and enforce these laws are the same people that are part of the global socio-economic machine that enslaves and exploits people, promotes mass genocide, and protect a system that keeps the working poor in comparitve poverty. It's all good though, soon they'll come out with the Iphone 5 or some other gadget that we can all obsess over and happily trade hours of menial and repetative labor to purchase a hot commodity for $500 that was made in an over-seas sweat shop for less than a dollar. All of these beautiful and expensive toys were put here by Jesus Christ to help us forget how much of a slave we are to the corporate agenda. God bless the good ol' U.S. of A.
Condensed version: if you refuse to lease to convicted felons, you support slavery and genocide. Or something.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontlineskeptic View Post

Keep whining and blaming others....to me a person deserves a second chance when they at least admit guilt and will try to behave from than on after they paid their price to society.

Some of our owners will never rent to convicted criminals due to their job and they can't be associated to any criminal (police officers, prison guards, etc.) and there is nothing that you can say that will make it sound like discrimination.

PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT CONVICTED ARE NOT CRIMINALS, some might be awaiting a sentence and some might not be caught yet...but the majority of the people are good citizens!

We have properties that can be rented to people who have a conviction for longer than 3 years ago....depending on what the conviction was for.

We denied a person who was caught and convicted for multiple drug offenses and one was with 20 kilo...! do you think the owner wants a meth lab in his house! The people claimed that they only had 1 minor offense 8 years ago....but after the background check for which they paid , we discovered all this...I guess they thought it would not show up.

We tell people everytime not to aply if you have certain things since they will be denied...most of them hang up right after hearing it. We don't make money on the applications since it is used to pay the company and a very tiny part for administrative fees, not something we are to make a lot of money on and for us to waste time to do all the work.

By the way we are under the Fair Housing Law and this law doesn't include any convictions...the owners are free to deny or approve any criminal...

On top of that, buy a place, maybe a 20 K small apartment and you don't have to deal with a LL!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 307,370 times
This is a hot topic. I have also been researching the same but it's hard to comprehend others points of view when the ones saying you shouldnt give an ex con a chance are likely people who have never gotten arrested. That's one sided. I have never been arrested, but I can't help but think if you can BARELY get a job with a background and now you have no place to live because of your background, you will end up back in prison where you will get fed and have housing. It's sad that so many are narrow minded enough NOT to believe that people CAN change. ::gets off the soapbox:: lol

Old 02-23-2011, 07:42 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I will not lease to an individual with a record as a sex offender. I will consider leasing to someone with a felony record. One of my current tenants has a record and told me about it when he completed his application. He is employed and has a strong rental history with no evictions. So far, he has done nothing to make me regret leasing to him.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:52 AM

2 posts, read 9,606 times
Once a criminal, always a criminal. Any landlord with half a brain would avoid you like the plague. It's hard enough dealing with non-criminals. You criminals are entitled to nothing. You've already proven that you cannot be trusted, so why would you expect anyone to trust you now? If you can't find a landlord dumb enough to rent to you, go apply for public housing. You'll be in good company.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:51 PM

We just inherited a tenant and the previous owner never conducted a background check. The new owner came to us with their portfolio and we gave all of them new leases.

One tenant came up with a story that he had paid March rent on 2/21 and he showed receipts or better said a piece of paper with all previous months payments. It showed he had paid Febr. rent on 2/9/2011 and that is only 12 days in between payments.

He stated he hoped the new owner wouldn't raise the rent because he lives paycheck to pay check and has not much income to afford higher rent....

The March payment was not mentioned during our 1st converstaion, neither in the 2nd and not in the 3rd but after he signed the new lease. He stated he was nervous to bring it up but he had evidence of payments.

We compared the handwriting on the receipts with handwriting we had on 5 leases of the previous owner as well as public records deeds, mortgages, etc...all with the previous owners handwriting.

Result; nothing looked anything as her handwriting and nobody needed to be an expert to see that. Second; why was it not brought up right away...perhaps really nervous, but for what...

End result; we did some searches online on the sheriffs website and found from 1994- 2010 multiple domestic violence all against women and at least 5 different cases with different names. Prison time, probation, etc...

Without telling him we knew about his past, we explained that he could get his rent back by talking to the previous owner and otherwise if he refused to pay we would start the eviction for non payment of rent...

We received March rent within 24 hours!

Under us as management he would never have become a tenant since non of us really want to be in one room with this man....

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM

65 posts, read 213,003 times
Default re:renting to ex-convicts

I understand everyone's fears on this. I want to live in a safe neighborhood. Today the country is infested with crime. Prisons are big business and big employers. Many people are imprisoned for things they wouldn't have done hard time for years ago. Once in prison they are often forced into more crime that goes on their record. This is not a black or white situation, as some of the posters seem to think. I would look at the person's record, and what the charge was before they were imprisoned, circumstances around the initial charge, and so on. Remember this: one of the major reasons for the high rate of return to prison is that many are released with not enough money for a place, and are unable to get any job. It is be homeless or be back in prison. Crime is something that needs way more consideration than our society is giving it. It is not going to go away untill we look at it as the cultural/social environmental problem that it really is.
Adreana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting