Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 07:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You may need subtitles as it is supposedly in Yorkshire dialect. I have to listen hard and I grew up with that dialect--my grandparents came from there, a village near Halifax. But it's a charming series, happy, sad, heartwarming, and seems true to life and not too sugar coated. I hope you enjoy it.

My good wishes to everyone for health and warmth.
Can't seem to find an outlet that has the episodes streaming at no charge. I did get some "flavor" of the series by watching clips on YouTube. I know I would love it! No problem with the dialects - that is actually one of my interests (linguistics).

I am still looking around to see if I can get caught up on past episodes.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 AM

505 posts, read 716,774 times
Did you try PBS on line? I know they have other British TV. Also, for about $3/mo(at least that was what it was a year ago), you could stream from BBC.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Just a cute video to forget about winter for a while:

Dolphin comes out of nowhere and asks diver for help ! - Lolwall.co

Awwwwww~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I shared this on my FB page. Thank you for posting it! I read the credits and it was filmed in the area where we spent time in Hawai'i - watching Humpback whales and dolphins. It is an area well-known on the Big Island for whales, as they feed there and migrate to the area (I was told) to birth. We sat on the balcony and watched dolphins and whales in the early mornings and evenings.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:53 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I shared this on my FB page. Thank you for posting it! I read the credits and it was filmed in the area where we spent time in Hawai'i - watching Humpback whales and dolphins. It is an area well-known on the Big Island for whales, as they feed there and migrate to the area (I was told) to birth. We sat on the balcony and watched dolphins and whales in the early mornings and evenings.
I love dolphins!! There are so smart and gentle. I have a necklace with a dolphin on it and I wear it on my road trips - my good luck charm. Call it whatever but I believe that dolphin gets me there and back.

We went out on a boat and whale watched - got some good shots. It was either off Waikiki or Maui.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
I love dolphins!! There are so smart and gentle. I have a necklace with a dolphin on it and I wear it on my road trips - my good luck charm. Call it whatever but I believe that dolphin gets me there and back.

We went out on a boat and whale watched - got some good shots. It was either off Waikiki or Maui.
I saw something this past week . . . wish I could find it now. It was some statement about the intelligence level of sea mammals and what they would tell us (about humanity) if they could speak to us (or we could understand their language fully).

I thought - yes - that would be interesting to hear, seeing as how we have too often throughout history been very cruel to so many of them.

Your dolphin is your totem!

http://www.starstuffs.com/animal_totems/finding.html

Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Dolphins are wonderful but why are pigs so neglected and abused? They're as smart as dogs as well as being affectionate and friendly. They make great inside pets who have no trouble with house training.

After five days of light snow I have a total of about 18". That's fine as we always need moisture here but this morning my back door was frozen shut. I heated some water to boiling and did my best to flood the bottom. I wrenched the door open as the boiling water evaporated but now have another problem; I can't shut the door. It's a good inch from the place it needs to be. My younger dog is now afraid to go out. I haven't let my older one out in two days so he's had to go on the floor which he's willing to do. But the little one, after a very prolonged house training, has become an example of virtue and I want her to relieve herself.

I've had more snow in the past two weeks than I had all of last year. There's more snow predicted later in the week. This is a near desert area.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
that is why I do not eat Pork. Pigs are intelligent, sensient, animals who have all sorts of attributes. They make good guard 'dogs' and are very protective of those they care about.

I wouldn't eat dolphins or dogs, so I choose not to eat pigs for the same reason.

But that does make it hard with menu planning have to admit.

And good luck with your frozen door.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
that is why I do not eat Pork. Pigs are intelligent, sensient, animals who have all sorts of attributes. They make good guard 'dogs' and are very protective of those they care about.

I wouldn't eat dolphins or dogs, so I choose not to eat pigs for the same reason.

But that does make it hard with menu planning have to admit.

And good luck with your frozen door.
Chickens and steer, as well as fish, are smart too.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,765,774 times
HIW, do you have a hair dryer or a heat gun?

I hope you have those pee pads for the babies.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:25 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
anifani, I looked around for a way to watch Last Tango in Halifax online and I can't find anything either unless you pay. YouTube has the episodes --somehow you pay to watch them.

A balmy 30 here today. Our weather usually comes from the westward direction and I hope Wyoming door-freezing temps are not coming this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement