Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know it's not just me but things I used to buy and took for granted seem to be no longer available.

One thing is good sheets. I'm not asking for some humongous thread count, just good 200 thread count 100% cotton percale sheets. Also, I want to buy ONE sheet, not a set of top sheet, bottom sheet and two pillow cases! You used to be able to buy a good quality sheet by itself and it didn't cost a small fortune.

Another thing, and this one is really bothering me--towels. Are they all cheap junk made in China or Pakistan or some other far flung place? The bath towels I bought back in 1990 are just now beginning to show signs of wear and I'd like to replace them but I can't because they don't exist.

These towels were by Martex, they were pima cotton, and they were regular size, not oversized. Now all you can get is these huge bath sheets. What they call regular size is HUGE. I think my old towels are about 48" long. These HUGE towels take up more space in the washer, the dryer, on the towel rack and when they are wet they are HEAVY. As you get older, you don't want huge heavy towels, at least I don't.

Those two items come to mind but there are other things I look for in vain. Anyone else?
haha, we are on the same wave length....thus why I started the new online shopping thread.

It's next to impossible for me to find reasonably priced items like percale bed sheets, quality cotton socks, absorbant towels, well made shoes (I do have one special pair made in Poland that are lasting a lifetime), cotton pajamas that don't cost 100 bucks, etc. A lot of the specialty boutiquey stores carry this stuff, if you want to drop a handsome buck. Used to be you could go to the 5 and Dime (good old Woolworth's, where are you) and pick up so much of these basic, well made household items and clothing for something reasonable in line with your take-home pay. These days, everything is poor quality from China...or if you buy from upscale boutiques, simple things like a set of good cotton sheets easily take a day's pay. I even went to a yard goods store to check out what it would cost to make percale sheets...they didn't carry the material, only muslin, and it's $22 a yard! So you could probably spend an afternoon making one bed sheet for $60.

As for towels, I don't use full size any more. I use good sized hand towels and don't miss the oversized ones that take up the whole washing machine space. I get the best quality hand towels I can find and buy up a half dozen at a time.

There is a Cannon outlet store in Wells, Maine, where I am headed this fall. I usually get good stuff there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:04 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Wow, for awhile there I thought I had inadvertantly clicked on the wrong forum, but then I noticed that it had the word retirees in the title and I knew that all was right with the world.
Glad you feel at home here. We are differentiating now between issues for the young and the same issues for the old.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Go to your bank and ask -- they usually have a supply to hand out.
Plus you'll get a smile from the young person at the counter who can't believe you still use them...

Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know it's not just me but things I used to buy and took for granted seem to be no longer available.

One thing is good sheets. I'm not asking for some humongous thread count, just good 200 thread count 100% cotton percale sheets. Also, I want to buy ONE sheet, not a set of top sheet, bottom sheet and two pillow cases! You used to be able to buy a good quality sheet by itself and it didn't cost a small fortune.

Another thing, and this one is really bothering me--towels. Are they all cheap junk made in China or Pakistan or some other far flung place? The bath towels I bought back in 1990 are just now beginning to show signs of wear and I'd like to replace them but I can't because they don't exist.

These towels were by Martex, they were pima cotton, and they were regular size, not oversized. Now all you can get is these huge bath sheets. What they call regular size is HUGE. I think my old towels are about 48" long. These HUGE towels take up more space in the washer, the dryer, on the towel rack and when they are wet they are HEAVY. As you get older, you don't want huge heavy towels, at least I don't.

Those two items come to mind but there are other things I look for in vain. Anyone else?
You need to shop in stores you're not now visiting. Everything you say yoiu can't find I see everyday where I live. Start at Target. Sears. Regional department stores. Outlet malls. The stuff is there. Just go get it!

Old 08-16-2012, 07:09 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I don't think normal sized bath towels are out there anymore. I did look in Sears and they were poor quality plus huge size. I'm going to try the Canon outlet that newenglandgal mentioned, maybe I'll find towels there.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:12 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I thought I was the only person who wanted a smaller, more absorbent, but lightweight towel. Who likes those HUGE, HEAVY towels? They are ridiculous. I feel guilty for wasting water and resources every time I use one of those.

If the industry were paying attention they would see that people like smaller bath towels and adjust the product, accordingly.

I also want to buy one sheet when I want to - not an entire bedding package. I do not like Percale sheets, however . . . only 100% cotton.

I wonder why there is not more good quality stuff available these days.

I went into "Forever 21" with my daughter and there were racks and racks of clothes that were literally all of the same. I told her "in my day," even the big department stores like Macy's and Emporium only had one of each item (for dresses anyway) . . .so you knew when you bought that one, high quality dress, with exceptional tailoring, no one else would have one just like it. It was such a treat to shop back then. The quality was exquisite.

If I had a few wishes to spare, one might be to go in a time capsule back to the 1960's to re-experience shopping at Macy's, the Emporium and the several boutiques that were flourishing at that time.

Now, if you need a dress for a special occasion, it is all but impossible to find something classic and interesting, design-wise. Everything is "cookie-cutter," and the fabrics are cheesy and the design horrible.

Last edited by imcurious; 08-16-2012 at 09:23 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,439,215 times
I went through 2 sets of sheets, actually just the fitted sheet was torn, in a few months. I told my daughter that it
must be the dog jumping up on the bed but she says she has the same problem. I finally put a jersey tshirt type fitted
sheet on and it's holding up well. ( I have 2 flat sheets and 4 pillowcases that are still good from those other sets.)

Old 08-18-2012, 08:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Default Things You Can't Find Anymore

Frozen Poor Boy sandwiches! Lived on those as a teen.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Things I Can't Find Anymore

Campbell's Chili Bean soup - it made the best starting base for chil dogs
Pepsi Lemon - so I make my own now
The original Herbal Essence shampoo - the new stuff doesn't smell the same

(I buy my flannel sheets on e-Bay )

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I saw the Herbal Essence in some kind of nostalgia catalog (there is a catalog of old stuff you can purchase, candy bars, shampoos, etc. I'm sorry I don't have the name, but I bet you can find it online).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement