Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
And you still can get kerosene for lamps....go figure, but good for some.
Kerosene lamp was for an emergency when the power when out in our family's cabin in the
mountains-1960;s. For myself, keep a lantern as the power sometimes, goes out.

Go figure, live outside of town, no street lights ! When driving the backroad---BLACK except
for the headlights! This was a surprise for a woman raised in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
Dish towels are so thin!

Tablecloths with colorful designs, i.e, 1930's, 1940's from North Carolina linen mills!

Remember the metal tumblers that cottage cheese ? came in delivered by---the milkman !

Old 08-18-2012, 03:22 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times
Things retirees cant find anymore........ how about our shoes when they are on our feet.

Maybe its time to try a salad ha ha ha

Old 08-18-2012, 03:26 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I saw the Herbal Essence in some kind of nostalgia catalog (there is a catalog of old stuff you can purchase, candy bars, shampoos, etc. I'm sorry I don't have the name, but I bet you can find it online).
Possibly Vermont Country Store.

But for Herbal Essence (original), this might work: Original Herbal Essence Shampoo - Buy at Soap.com - Free Shipping

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 08-18-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Thanks for trying to both imcurious and Curmudgeon, but I've tried several from different places online.

I finally figured out - they advertise "Original Herbal Essence", but if you look at the bottle, it says Essences.

Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,365 times
My cell phone!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:39 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Kerosene lamp was for an emergency when the power when out in our family's cabin in the
mountains-1960;s. For myself, keep a lantern as the power sometimes, goes out.

Go figure, live outside of town, no street lights ! When driving the backroad---BLACK except
for the headlights! This was a surprise for a woman raised in the city.
We have kerosene lanterns in our storm cellar. The lanterns burn on just about any type of kerosene but try putting stove kerosene in one of the newer kerosene heaters or shop space heaters that requires K-1. Unfortunately, many of the people who now work for the companies who still supply kerosene don't know K-1 from the less pure K-2. I stopped trying to find decent kerosene and just use diesel in my multi-fuel shop heater anymore.

Another thing that is impossible to find these days is an auto parts desk person who can locate a part without knowing the make, model and year of the vehicle the part is to go on. Go into an Autozone sometime and ask for a 1-wire GM alternator for a 1952 Ford tractor and watch the confusion. Ask for a rebuild kit for that same alternator if you want to see what a doe deer looks like on the road at night. And how about finding two clerks working the registers at a Walmart Supercenter on the 2nd day of the month when everyone is spending their government checks? Oh well, I guess I would be hiding too.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:46 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Thanks for trying to both imcurious and Curmudgeon, but I've tried several from different places online.

I finally figured out - they advertise "Original Herbal Essence", but if you look at the bottle, it says Essences.
I remember using the original Herbal Essence (no "S") back in the early 1970s. It was green and smelled soooo good. Check out this blog post about Herbal Essence...Clairol discontinued the original shampoo, but Vermont Country Store sells something that is somewhat similar:

Couture Allure Vintage Fashion: Remember the Original Clairol Herbal Essence Shampoo?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know it's not just me but things I used to buy and took for granted seem to be no longer available.

One thing is good sheets. I'm not asking for some humongous thread count, just good 200 thread count 100% cotton percale sheets. Also, I want to buy ONE sheet, not a set of top sheet, bottom sheet and two pillow cases! You used to be able to buy a good quality sheet by itself and it didn't cost a small fortune.

Another thing, and this one is really bothering me--towels. Are they all cheap junk made in China or Pakistan or some other far flung place? The bath towels I bought back in 1990 are just now beginning to show signs of wear and I'd like to replace them but I can't because they don't exist.

These towels were by Martex, they were pima cotton, and they were regular size, not oversized. Now all you can get is these huge bath sheets. What they call regular size is HUGE. I think my old towels are about 48" long. These HUGE towels take up more space in the washer, the dryer, on the towel rack and when they are wet they are HEAVY. As you get older, you don't want huge heavy towels, at least I don't.

Those two items come to mind but there are other things I look for in vain. Anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
You need to shop in stores you're not now visiting. Everything you say yoiu can't find I see everyday where I live. Start at Target. Sears. Regional department stores. Outlet malls. The stuff is there. Just go get it!

Sorry, true percale sheets are not made anymore. Seriously. I even went so far as to contact 3 different manufacturers of sheets. I was specifically looking for the old "supercale" and found that what we used to call percale is now so high of a thread count that it's no longer the thin, soft, supple things we knew. I miss my percale. I've looked high and low, bought 2000 TC sheets, egyptian cotton, satin, sateen, and everything in between. Luckily I still have 1 top sheet that's supercale. I treat it gently as it has to last.

As for going to Target - you are kidding. The stuff is NOT there. It isn't being manufactured.

BTW, neither is Big Johns Beans - with the 2 separate cans!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Sorry, true percale sheets are not made anymore. Seriously. I even went so far as to contact 3 different manufacturers of sheets. I was specifically looking for the old "supercale" and found that what we used to call percale is now so high of a thread count that it's no longer the thin, soft, supple things we knew. I miss my percale. I've looked high and low, bought 2000 TC sheets, egyptian cotton, satin, sateen, and everything in between.
My story's much the same.
Good bedsheets make life worth living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement