Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 08:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times

Advertisements

Couldn't tell you. I don't listen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Here's some advice you may not want to hear. If available, consider getting a real landline. According to Charter's website, even the "landline's" optional backup battery is only good for up to 8 hours on standby.

My father has lost his electricity for 4 or 5 days and even with a backup generator, there's still the issue that cell phone service does not accurately identify the location of the caller. If he has a medical emergency, I'm not confident that he would be able to give his location to the 911 operator.

Although our phone company does not advertise the "dial tone" plan, I was able to purchase this option for my own home. Although the monthly fees are higher than the cost of the plan itself, the total cost is about $20/month and is well worth it.
We have a land line too.
We also have an air card so we could email.
Hopefully one of us could accurately identify our location.
Our fire station/ambulance service is 3 miles away.

We have a whole house generator. According to our info it will handle the phone without the battery, which we also have. I'll look into the dial tone plan. Also our utilities are buried cable. I will ask our neighbors how often the power goes out. We are at just under 3000 ft alt. I think Ani is much higher and in a much smaller town.

We are just outside Asheville city limits by the blue ridge parkway. We were told that roads were salted and cleared rapidly here. Time will tell.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:51 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
What is a dial tone plan?
You pay for a dial tone. If you actually call someone, you pay per call. Thus, my "dial tone" is $5.92/ month and I pay 10 cents per outgoing call. Incoming calls do not cost anything extra. Most of the time, I use my cell phone for outgoing calls. After your post, I checked my last bill. Additional charges included a monthly long distance charge of $2.99 (up from 1.99 during the prior years), and other fees and taxes that add up to about $21.00/month. I'm going to call about the $2.99 long distance fee. I have no clue what's up with that. I would imagine most folks would have less fees and taxes than I have since I live in Maryland.

I almost dropped the landline a few months ago but while thinking it over, I temporarily lost my cell service during some random regional black out. Obviously I was able to use my landline to call the carrier to report the outage but I did become a bit antsy when I realized that my father had no way to reach me if there was an emergency.

But I WILL take the phone off the hook during the next election.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
You pay for a dial tone. If you actually call someone, you pay per call. Thus, my "dial tone" is $5.92/ month and I pay 10 cents per outgoing call. Incoming calls do not cost anything extra. Most of the time, I use my cell phone for outgoing calls. After your post, I checked my last bill. Additional charges included a monthly long distance charge of $2.99 (up from 1.99 during the prior years), and other fees and taxes that add up to about $21.00/month. I'm going to call about the $2.99 long distance fee. I have no clue what's up with that. I would imagine most folks would have less fees and taxes than I have since I live in Maryland.

This is why many with a landline use the LD on their cell phones and remove LD access from their landlines. The surcharges and misc. fees really add up. I think 2.99 is low - my LD bill would be 4.99 with no LD calls.

Your landline plan is a good way to go when you have a cell phone to make most of your calls.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Damn! I'd like that option.
The closest I can get to it is still a basic charge of almost $30 total and 10 cents a minute LD.
Can't do without the landline because it's required in order to get the internet.
The thrill of rural living and no competition.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:56 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
The only problem with my basic (no LD) landline service is that b/c there is no restriction at all on incoming calls, I get numerous commercial calls during the day, usually recorded. So I simply keep the phone unplugged unless I've prearranged (via my cell) with a LD caller, say my West Coast relatives, to call me on the landline at which time I plug it in. We can talk as long as we want and I do not pay for that incoming call. Cell phone use has its hazards, so I try to limit it.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,834 times
Default Power Outages here

Quote:
Here's some advice you may not want to hear. If available, consider getting a real landline. According to Charter's website, even the "landline's" optional backup battery is only good for up to 8 hours on standby.

My father has lost his electricity for 4 or 5 days and even with a backup generator, there's still the issue that cell phone service does not accurately identify the location of the caller. If he has a medical emergency, I'm not confident that he would be able to give his location to the 911 operator.

Although our phone company does not advertise the "dial tone" plan, I was able to purchase this option for my own home. Although the monthly fees are higher than the cost of the plan itself, the total cost is about $20/month and is well worth it.
We had dinner last night with 3 couples from our neighborhood. I asked them about power outages. Power does go out several times during the winter-- but in the past 3 or 4 years it has only been for a matter of hours--not days. Hopefully this will be our experience also.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Default Advice we don't want to hear right here on City-Data

If we have been around a while on City-Data, it is likely we've received some advice we didn't want to hear. The friendly and well-meaning kind is welcome, at least to me, but the personal attacks masquerading as advice are usually irritating. "Did you forget to take your meds?" is a crude example (clearly against the TOS) which I've never received but which I've seen given to a few others.

Here is one which I did receive: to devote more time and energy to making myself "a decent member of society". Yes, that was the attack-mode, troll type advice, as the poster who gave it to me knew nothing about any of the following:

-- Whether I am a helpful sort vis a vis my neighbors.
-- Whether I am considerate of my neighbors, such as not making noise at night.
-- Whether I engage in charitable giving, and to what extent.
-- Whether I am careful to avoid littering, and whether I pick up litter I come across.
-- Whether I seek out ways to help others directly, in addition to charitable giving.
-- Whether I take time out to call 911 if I ever see someone in distress, and stand by until EMS arrives.
--Whether I am courteous to waitresses, cashiers, clerks, and other service personnel.

I am not trying to brag; I sincerely believe that the vast majority (if not all!) of you posters in this Retirement Forum are "decent members of society" in all the ways I listed above. I am certainly not better than any of the rest of you in that regard.

But my point is that the troll advice did sting, as it was designed to.

O.K., rant over!

Old 06-29-2014, 12:06 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Such as how (or where) to live? Are your family or friends too opinionated (toward you) as far as you're concerned? Do you just turn a deaf ear, or do their comments get to you?

(I will disclose why I ask later)
If they do, and they rarely do, it goes in one ear and out the other almost as soon as it's said. I'm not offended. I just don't do it.

I've pretty much established all of my life that I do what I want so they are not surprised or perturbed if I tune them out and do what I want. I'm not, however, afraid to ask for advice when I'm in unchartered waters. It's usually more of a "how do I" technical request for advice than a "what should I do?" emotional/social one. People like to share their expertise/knowledge, I think, and I appreciate that when I need it.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:14 PM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Just did a quick check of Verizon (which is the only landline company here) landline options:

"Sensible Minute": $2.99 per month, plus 11 cents per minute for all direct-dialed local calls. No long distance. I'm not sure how restricted the "local" is; maybe just within your very immediate area (as in, same first 3 digits of phone number)?

"Unlimited Local": $24.95 per month includes unlimited local calls within your "local region". Unfortunately this region is fairly small; for instance, Long Island is broken into 3 separate regions (Nassau County, Western Suffolk County, and Eastern Suffolk County). So if someone lives in Western Suffolk and has family in Nassau which is less than 20 miles away, those calls would not be in the "local region". No mention of what happens if you try to call outside your region, either about per minute charges or maybe it won't go through at all? No long distance.

"Message Rate Service": $15.80 per month for dial-tone service, plus 9 cents per minute for calls within your own HOme Region only. No mention of what happens if you try to call outside of it. No long distance.

Plus all the taxes and fees added to those amounts, naturally! Which I'm sure would add another $3-$4 to the service charge.

What I can't figure out is why anyone would prefer the Message Rate service over the Sensible Minute service... assuming they don't intend to ever use it for anything other than dialing 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement