Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2015, 11:19 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,029,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Once I accepted the limits of my budget, I'm actually quite happy with what I have.
Although there is an income floor where this mindset just won't work any more, that threshold is much lower than most people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But, if people want to retire early, and they can change their idea of how much is enough, they can do it

......At any rate, poor retirees can be happy, too. You just need to accept what you can't change and change the things you can, and once you get the best situation you can, be happy with what you've got.....

......You don't get to have everything you want, but you can still have it pretty good.
Interestingly, this is exactly the same kind of stuff people say on the Early Retirement and Personal Finance blogs. Except they're doing it by choice instead of being forced into it. If more people could just internalize these concepts when young, most would have enough money for retirement and many would be able to retire early by choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,210,018 times
Most Americans have no significant retirement savings

Old 03-04-2015, 04:15 AM

106,916 posts, read 109,196,656 times
i tend to think the numbers are better than the media and self interest groops throw out there. not that the financial census has enough samples done for my taste but that data conflicts greatly with the medias stories.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:24 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,595,679 times
NoMoreSnowforMe, I absolutely love your story of retirement which you posted at post #2 in this thread!

I think the life you are having is great, and I can feel your enjoyment of it through your description.

Thank you for posting about your life. I find it inspiring.

I would love to live so close to the ocean as you do, and within walking distance!

And I agree that a happy retirement without much money and in a humble abode can be found.

Old 03-04-2015, 04:38 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,750,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Most Americans have no significant retirement savings
I've also read that somewhere, which is why I'm left wondering how it is that the "I'm rich, and you should be too" folks dominate this forum.

What a puzzler.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:38 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,420,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Oh please. I'm sure the poster would much rather not be disabled.
"Oh please?" No word or thought of mine implied what you assumed. I sincerely said "You're welcome" because I am personally paying lots and lots of rent and food and medical care for many people who are unable to do so for themselves.

And I would rather be doing that, rather be paying very large taxes, because that means I am doing well. I appreciate my health, my sympathies go to those with physical and mental health challenges.

What I do not like is when people assume I somehow have my boot on the necks of the poor because I have been useful to the rest of society, which pays me well for the value I provide.

You're welcome.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,536,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"Oh please?" No word or thought of mine implied what you assumed. I sincerely said "You're welcome" because I am personally paying lots and lots of rent and food and medical care for many people who are unable to do so for themselves.

And I would rather be doing that, rather be paying very large taxes, because that means I am doing well. I appreciate my health, my sympathies go to those with physical and mental health challenges.

What I do not like is when people assume I somehow have my boot on the necks of the poor because I have been useful to the rest of society, which pays me well for the value I provide.

You're welcome.
Well aren't you just the lucky, self-satisfied, happy little camper. Millions of us have paid and continue to pay taxes which fund many functions to include providing for those who can't. Funny, I doubt that many of us have the "You're welcome" attitude. Providing for the general welfare is, after all, a function of government and tax dollars are what makes it possible. What it doesn't do is make any of us special.

This is a gratuitous lesson in government and a civilized society so you don't have to thank me. Happy to be of service.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:06 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Those who saved and are comfortable are being labeled as braggarts, having rich relatives giving them money etc. by those who cannot afford to retire for whatever reason. Those who cannot afford to retire are being criticized for not being financially prudent or not having the foresight to plan for a different outcome.

With all the animosity on both sides, the retirement board is looking like a stereotypical old person.
Bada Bing

Old 03-04-2015, 07:16 AM

31,689 posts, read 41,094,606 times
For millions retirement is a luxury their homelessness doesn't allow them to worry about.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:26 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,654,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

You're welcome.

Oh, and not because of your snotty little remarks?

I don't believe anyone has thanked you for anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement