Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:11 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I'd say I can relate to most of this. And darn it I lost the post, but someone previously used the term "adaptogen", which I like very much.

I still can't decide -- all things being considered in Mateo's OP -- which of those three I would choose. Seriously. I don't really have a problem with any of those groups. I visited TN several times at fairly decent stays each time when I first started researching an upcoming move. What I found was a complete bust up of stereotypes. Sure there were yuppies, hippies, rednecks, bible thumpers. But there were also hard core folks on the left & right that wouldn't necessarily fit into any particular category. Mostly I noticed a very obvious "live and let live" attitude.... which is exactly what I would like. Having been a disgusted & reluctant voter for over 30 years; with no party affiliation... the only group that truly drives me nuts are uninformed liberals who choose the left because it's what the cool, in crowd likes. They jump on a bandwagon & take on an air of superiority that is sorely misplaced. As tho anyone with an opposing view must automatically be an "uneducated red neck". Notice I said "uninformed"...plenty of lefties do know why they support what they do - and I respect that even if I might not agree. But that's the "cultural demographic" that would (and does) annoy me the most.

Really enjoying this thread & the varied responses. Life would be incredibly lackluster if we all agreed.
Regardless our respective "affinities", sounds like what most of us have in common, is to live someplace where nobody is gonna put any undue "pressure" on us (political, cultural, religious, economic or otherwise). Although perhaps even that feeling comes from simply projecting our "expectations" (and assumptions) onto each other!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:59 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Hippies

Old 04-07-2015, 01:05 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,204,853 times
I go with redneck. They tend to mind their own business more than libs and are less likely to draw crime-proned undesireable "types" into an area. The men are better looking, too.

Yuppies? Do they still have that term? (Of no interest to retirees unless you like to look out the window in the morning and watch them go to work.)

Old 04-07-2015, 02:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Bada Bing! Oh no, I think I may be turning into someone else..........
Copyright Infringement! It's okay, wanted to rep but you know the drill

Old 04-07-2015, 02:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I'd say I can relate to most of this. And darn it I lost the post, but someone previously used the term "adaptogen", which I like very much.

That was me.

I still can't decide -- all things being considered in Mateo's OP -- which of those three I would choose. Seriously. I don't really have a problem with any of those groups. I visited TN several times at fairly decent stays each time when I first started researching an upcoming move. What I found was a complete bust up of stereotypes. Sure there were yuppies, hippies, rednecks, bible thumpers. But there were also hard core folks on the left & right that wouldn't necessarily fit into any particular category. Mostly I noticed a very obvious "live and let live" attitude.... which is exactly what I would like.

I agree on all the above.

Having been a disgusted & reluctant voter for over 30 years; with no party affiliation... the only group that truly drives me nuts are uninformed liberals who choose the left because it's what the cool, in crowd likes. They jump on a bandwagon & take on an air of superiority that is sorely misplaced. As tho anyone with an opposing view must automatically be an "uneducated red neck".

Well, to be fair you have to admit there are a heck of a lot of rightwingers who jump on the bandwagon of Obama-hating, just 'cause they hear it on the Net or from their neighbors and it's the thing to be. They've no idea what really goes on in politics and the humongous power structure behind the "front" of politics. Their coworkers hate what they perceive to be "liberal" and they feel they ought to agree, it's such a compelling argument when things seem so wrong in the country. These folks think anyone with an opposing view must automatically be a tree-hugging bleeding heart.

Life would be incredibly lackluster if we all agreed.

Agree with you there!
We've lived near many kinds of people, value systems and cultures and maybe because we're artist "types" we don't tend to put people in neat description packages, we see and appreciate the complexity in individuals. A few years ago I researched where "artist retirement enclaves" might be, and then began to think. Would I really want to live in close proximity to intensely creative "self-centered" people? Maybe for a summer retreat, but not necessarily year-round. And then I thought some more and realized there's no "one type" of artist. There's military-retired exhibiting artists, MacDowell Colony artists, wealthy artists, starving artists, rightwing and leftwing artists, generous volunteer types, etc all from a diverse sociopolitical background. What was I really hoping to avoid?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,665,169 times
A hippie, a redneck, and a yuppie walk into a bar...........

Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,458,803 times
^ ^

… and the bartender says, "so which one of you ordered the Southern Comfort, the dry martini, or the tow truck for your Prius stranded at Whole Foods?"

Old 04-09-2015, 07:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^

… and the bartender says, "so which one of you ordered the Southern Comfort, the dry martini, or the tow truck for your Prius stranded at Whole Foods?"
Probably not Southern Comfort but Bud Lite. I showed up at a neighborhood drink in with Amstel Light and many had never heard of.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
I guess put me down for hippies and rednecks in whatever proportion you have, but hold the yuppies if you don't mind. If they have a libertarian bent, so much the better.

Interesting that it seems to me posters who live in rural settings are more like me on this, preferring hippies and/or rednecks (who will be at a distance most of the time) while urban posters are more OK with yuppies (because their neighbors will be close in). Given that the "u" in yuppie is for "urban" - maybe they are only found in urban settings so there you go?

Am I on to something with that last observation?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I go with redneck. They tend to mind their own business more than libs and are less likely to draw crime-proned undesireable "types" into an area. The men are better looking, too.

Yuppies? Do they still have that term? (Of no interest to retirees unless you like to look out the window in the morning and watch them go to work.)
Well, my experience is different from yours. Rednecks have actually harassed me. And what you say about rednecks being "less likely to draw crime-prone undesirables", I disagree with that. Having lived in metro Atlanta for a long time, I've seen this for myself. Areas that had a large "redneck" presence managed to draw the crime prone. Clayton County was considered a "redneck" kind of place. Criminal elements from Atlanta still got there. Douglas County had that redneck element, and criminal elements reached that area too. Having rednecks around doesn't stop criminal elements from going to an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement