Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times

Advertisements

He did have a part-time job for quite a while, with scattered hours in late afternoon and evenings.

Part-time jobs which are satisfying or felt to be worthwhile for people with higher education or those who have masters degrees who are also older are not always all that easy to find.

Last edited by matisse12; 02-10-2016 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 02:24 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?
IMO, if they can swing it, more power to them. I was 64 when I retired from my full time job. Began collecting SS at 65.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Other than dot com millionaires, successful young rent seekers, and, people who get inheritance sufficient to become independent, retirement at a younger age = defined benefit program.

Then there are the rest of us.

I plan to work until at least 72, unless either #1 I become too unhealthy or outright die before then or #2 I get early retired by the Darwinian sink or swim globalony so-called-economy. It is what it is.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:48 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
He did have a part-time job for quite a while, with scattered hours in late afternoon and evenings.

Part-time jobs which are satisfying or felt to be worthwhile for people with higher education and/or masters degrees who are also older are not always all that easy to find.
I have a degree - an "easy" job like organizing shelves would be a great way to pass the time. I hate messy stores - lol.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:48 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Other than dot com millionaires, successful young rent seekers, and, people who get inheritance sufficient to become independent, retirement at a younger age = defined benefit program.

Then there are the rest of us.

I plan to work until at least 72, unless either #1 I become too unhealthy or outright die before then or #2 I get early retired by the Darwinian sink or swim globalony so-called-economy. It is what it is.
I think that was my plan as well at one time. I had a great job that I absolutely loved... felt as if i would never retire and would work until i died. But like everything in life.. things change. One of my motivations for retiring is watching my parents during their retirement these last 15 years... Now I want to retire ASAP to be more like them!

Old 02-10-2016, 02:50 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

Part-time jobs which are satisfying or felt to be worthwhile for people with higher education and/or masters degrees who are also older are not always all that easy to find.
maybe just go back to school and hang out with the young kids while pursuing a fun degree.

My roommate will be done with his masters this spring. He will be 70 soon. He said he is going on to law school. He hates being home -especially now that he can't do as much physically as before. Cancer and back problems.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Quote:
Of the hundreds of people you know who are in their late 50s how many of them are working full time?
Whether we know them or not…I'd say most people in their 50s are working full-time.
Unless a person:
-- starts a job young and stays there….with government or not….
-- starts young and saves A LOT
-- gets an inheritance that helps a lot financially
-- doesn't have a health issue that prevents it

…more than likely that person IS still working in their late 50s.

I marvel at all the discussion, all the threads asking what people think about whether people should or shouldn't retire.
Good heavens, how many times must it be said that there IS no should or shouldn't about that.

If you can -- and want to -- and can afford it -- DO it
If you want to and can NOT afford it -- save more, make it a goal, and THEN do it
And don't worry or concern yourself about what OTHER people do!

Personally, I know people who've retired at all ages:
-- mom was a teacher who took advantage of an early retirement offer at 57
-- friend was a teacher who had wanted and hoped to hang in until 62, but inner city teaching got so bad she retired at 59 and 1/2 (and isn't even thinking about working again)
-- a cousin retired from the military in his mid-late 50s, and got a gov't gig and did that until 65
-- another cosign who retired from the military in his early 50s, and got a got another full time job
-- I had one boss who retired at 55 after 30 years with our company (was life long single and saved money) that was more than 5 years ago and she's still not thinking about working
-- I've had co-workers who retired once they could get on Medicaid (would have done retired, sooner but waited for that)
-- I've have co-workers who retired once they were Soc Sec. FRA
-- I have co-workers now who are in their mid-70s and still working every bit of OT they can get

But don't WE ALL know people who've retired at various ages? What's new or unique about that?

I DO still marvel that people think of becoming a bump on a log when retired. EVERYONE I know who has retired -- at whatever age -- has PLENTY to do.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:54 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,663,842 times
A good friend of mine (retired and in his early 50s) is going to law school now.. for no other reason than to have something to do! He loves telling me about all the cases and laws he is learning about... He is definitely enjoying it.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:07 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I'm not doing much more than I did when I was working and don't know how I got everything done when I was.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Conversation View Post
At Christmas a group of relatives was talking to my brother who retired in his late 50s. He had lost his job but got a huge severance check and decided after some thought that with savings and great investments he could afford to retire from full time work.

I don't know if it was jealousy or ignorance or whatever, most of the relatives in the discussion did not think it was right that someone would retire in their fifties. One older guy in his 70s, told him, "In my day, you were expected to work until age 65, then you can retire." Another person said, "But your still young, why would you want to just sit around the house all day at your age?"

What do you think about people who retire in their 50s?

Not my circus. Not my monkeys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement