Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 02:37 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,578,513 times

Advertisements

I think some people try to blame their depressed feelings on the weather when actually feeling depressed is more a function of so many other things in their life. I know this is an unorthodox opinion and I don't expect others to agree with it!

And I agree that having good windows and some nature outside of the windows (as a poster upthread states) can be important and a great connection.

I don't get cabin fever. It just doesn't exist to any degree for me. Just a tiny bit extremely infrequently. If it would occur, it would definitely be because of very hot humid weather stuck inside with air conditioning. Really dislike air conditioning. It wouldn't occur because of winter weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 08:35 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Another advantage about me moving from central Minnesota to the Ozarks of north Arkansas ( 870 miles) is I always hated the short days of Minnesota in winter.

Despite not being in the deep south, at the end of December we are having over an hour more daylight here to enjoy the mild winter weather.

Yes, Minnesota will have an hour more daylight than us in early summer but the days are long enough that losing an hour in summer is no big deal/

Cold winter weather plus short days got very depressing in Minnesota.
The short days in the winter are a problem, but the flip side of that are very nice, long summer evenings. That's one thing I'm going to miss about living up north.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,337,447 times
All I know is that I love being able to spend time outside all year long. I love going to the beach all year long. I love being able to ride my bike all year long. I am saying that and it has been raining a lot around here. LOL.

Still I know for most winters that I can go hop on the bike and ride down to the beach. My daughter and I went for a bike ride on Sunday.

I expect to live the same life I am living 25 years from now.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:59 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
We've beeen having a British winter. Too much rain. I can't get out much when it's so wet.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:20 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I think some people try to blame their depressed feelings on the weather when actually feeling depressed is more a function of so many other things in their life. I know this is an unorthodox opinion and I don't expect others to agree with it!

And I agree that having good windows and some nature outside of the windows (as a poster upthread states) can be important and a great connection.

I don't get cabin fever. It just doesn't exist to any degree for me. Just a tiny bit extremely infrequently. If it would occur, it would definitely be because of very hot humid weather stuck inside with air conditioning. Really dislike air conditioning. It wouldn't occur because of winter weather.

I agree with you, Matisse. I have lived in all kinds of climates and been active in all of them. Even loved MN in winter for X-country skiing on the groomed paths that switched to roller-blading in the summer. This was especially great 'cause I had given up downhill skiing decades ago.

Being stuck inside with a/c is a thing for us now, during the hottest, most humid time here. I don't hate a/c. I am thankful every day we have it, as most do not. I hope to get more used to the humidity, and adapt. Yes, coming from coastal CA really skews one's experience with weather!

Agreed that having windows is a life-saver. Looking right now through the sliding doors at the ocean so cabin fever isn't a problem. I think if I became totally incapacitated, that would save me from insanity.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,026,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Pre-retirement: Silicon Valley -- a moderate climate with no snow.

In Retirement: We spend the winters in Park City UT and ski about 80 days/season. Yes, I've learned about house maintenance in cold climates. We get 400-500 inches of snow each winter (more up on the ski slopes). The coldest it gets is about -20F but that is usually for only a few days. We'll go skiing as long as it is above zero.

We spend the rest of the year in a warm southern climate.

Life's good. No problem acclimating to the weather.
The picture hanging in my bedroom is that famous barn in Snyderville! I hope it is still there.

Park City is one place where the Winter is great. Tons of snow but wonderful skiing and brilliant blue sunny skies. I had many a lunch in PKC after a morning skiing. Usually at the ClaimJumper. Love the Kimball Gallery and all the shops too. The art festival in summer was loads of fun till it got too big and crowded. Family Jewels is a favorite too.

One of my best friends lived in one of the old miners houses at the top of Main Street. We used to sit on her porch and watch the hummingbirds fight over the feeders. I helped her do some renovations on her house and the walls were insulated with horse hair and old newspapers!

I could live there easily. I thought about buying a home there ages ago in Summit Park. But over the years and especially since the Olympics, it's not for average people. I would love it until my mobility became compromised and getting around in the snow became an issue. But it would be loads of fun up to that point!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:53 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
All that "proper clothing" that's being recommended (don't forget the boots) weighs 15-20 lbs more than what one wears in July...just one reason it's exhausting going out in January.
I think that is a bit of an exaggeration. In Park City in the dead of winter, when going out, most people wear normal clothing plus insulated boots, gloves, a warm jacket and maybe a beanie. By normal clothing I mean normal pants and long sleeved shirt. On the slopes, it is ski pants (probably not insulated), very thin ski socks, a ski jacket, gloves, helmet & goggles and of course ski boots or snowboard boots.

In Las Vegas in the summer, it is shorts, a t-shirt, maybe a hat and sneakers.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
The picture hanging in my bedroom is that famous barn in Snyderville! I hope it is still there.

Park City is one place where the Winter is great. Tons of snow but wonderful skiing and brilliant blue sunny skies. I had many a lunch in PKC after a morning skiing. Usually at the ClaimJumper. Love the Kimball Gallery and all the shops too. The art festival in summer was loads of fun till it got too big and crowded. Family Jewels is a favorite too.

One of my best friends lived in one of the old miners houses at the top of Main Street. We used to sit on her porch and watch the hummingbirds fight over the feeders. I helped her do some renovations on her house and the walls were insulated with horse hair and old newspapers!

I could live there easily. I thought about buying a home there ages ago in Summit Park. But over the years and especially since the Olympics, it's not for average people. I would love it until my mobility became compromised and getting around in the snow became an issue. But it would be loads of fun up to that point!
I didn't realize it was so famous that there is artwork -- then I did a google image search for the White Barn in Park City and there are a ton of images. Yes, it is still there.

Yes, it is expensive here. There are some amazing properties if you have $10 or $20 Million burning a hole in your pocket.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/174-Whi...-UT-84060-_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/9806-Su...,-UT-84060_rb/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/40-Red-...,-UT-84060_rb/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvv4kPjK9es

Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 AM

903 posts, read 664,778 times
It always makes me laugh when people think northern climates are so tough people hibernate for 8-9 months. We live in north central Wisconsin. I was still hanging laundry out in December and also hung it out this past weekend. I find the middle to end of December is when we get enough snow for winter activities to start. And by the end of February the snow starts to melt quickly. Some years the snow mobile trails never open because of the lack of snow.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The short days in the winter are a problem, but the flip side of that are very nice, long summer evenings. That's one thing I'm going to miss about living up north.
The downside of the long summer evenings is the early sunrise the next morning. If you wake up with the sun, you have to go to bed much earlier to get enough sleep. Or you need to install heavy curtains to block out the morning sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement