Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:29 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,065,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The subject of moving when one retires comes-up frequently on this forum. It always strikes me as odd that people are motivated to uproot their lives to get away from where they live (or to where they want to live) after they retire, yet, do nothing about it for decades before retirement.

I suppose employment and family considerations come into play. However, if one really desires to live elsewhere (ie; get out of the snow and live somewhere warm), it seems sad that they spend so much of their lives doing something else. Also, it's a lot more difficult to get re-established elsewhere at retirement age.
I relocated about twelve years before retiring. I moved south to get away from ice and snow--I had seen so many "golden oldies" break hips etc in winter or get snowed in or have heart attacks from shoveling snow. I never liked the cold much or the winter grayness. I got a job that paid more in a lower cost of living area in a warmer climate, so it was a triple play. And it's pretty sunny in the winter. I have family eight hours north of me (by car) eight hours west of me and nine hours south of me. One of my kids moved down here also and is an hour away; no grandkids yet. I can't say I had much of any adjustment except the usual when taking a new job and packing/unpacking for the move. I don't dread the coming of winter any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,920,148 times
We retired young....ages 50 and 51.

The best retirement advice I ever got was:
Young retirees don't retire 'once' they will go thru several stages of retirement.

We decided to live in a series of 5 year plans.

The first 5 years took us 2,200 miles west to southern AZ from DC-Metro.
The next 5 years took us 1,100 miles south to Central Mexico.

Our next move wasn't planned. After 5 years in Central Mexico we moved back to east coast to care for my FIL. He lived 3 more years after our relocation. It took over a year to settle his estate.

We have just begun another 5 year plan, moving back to Central Mexico.

No kids, no parents.

It's been a helluva ride!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,569,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The subject of moving when one retires comes-up frequently on this forum. It always strikes me as odd that people are motivated to uproot their lives to get away from where they live (or to where they want to live) after they retire, yet, do nothing about it for decades before retirement.

I suppose employment and family considerations come into play. However, if one really desires to live elsewhere (ie; get out of the snow and live somewhere warm), it seems sad that they spend so much of their lives doing something else. Also, it's a lot more difficult to get re-established elsewhere at retirement age.
It doesn't totally surprise me. first, I've changed a lot in the 33 years I've been working. I really do remember loving the winters when I was a kid/teenager but now as a middle age adult that has to drive 45 miles each way to work totally different story.

When you're fresh out of college, most are thinking job opportunities which for a lot of folks means High cost of living areas.

Then you go through the childhood phase where schools and bigger houses comes into play.

So the things that I wanted in a living area have definitely changed over time.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,327,710 times
We do plan on relocating but it will only be less than 70 miles, if that.. from where we live now. We've got too many kids and grands here to move too far away. We never had dreams of moving to a foreign country or too far from here anyway.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,138,382 times
we do plan on re locating after we retire husband is 10 yrs away yet , we want to be close to the grandkids we will only be two hour drive away from them when we move which is great .

Old 08-03-2017, 02:12 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,937,711 times
I stayed put after retirement - always knew I would. No reason to move when you enjoy your location and feel totally comfortable where you already live. I could move to the middle of Kansas (or to hundreds or thousands of similar locations in the U.S. where the cost of living is low) and live like a king.

But money is not everything and I don't want to live in the middle of Kansas (or in hundreds or thousands of similar locations in the U.S.). I don't want to live in high summer humidity. I don't want to live where there are mosquitos and lots of other bugs. I don't want to live where the live classical music offerings are amateurish.

I just spent a week in Baton Rouge, Louisiana visiting a slew of cousins and children of cousins. I really enjoyed the visits and the people, some of whom I hadn't seen for years. But was I ever glad to get out of the place, and was I ever grateful that I don't live there!

Old 08-03-2017, 02:42 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,105,348 times
3 years from retirement.

Right now my prefer choice will be moving 800 miles north and be in the mountains with trees around me. Lived most of my life in hot humid beach areas with lots of traffic and tourist. Been over that for awhile but job and parents kept me around.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM
JRR

8,183 posts, read 5,698,482 times
1) Moved 650 miles after retirement

2) Biggest adjustment is going from Eastern Time to Central Time

3) No kids

Been here four months. Only way we would go back to Florida would be kicking and screaming; fighting it all the way.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:24 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,673,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We will move from Oahu, to probably.... Carson City.. so 3000 miles?

In part due to the cost of living, but also so we can travel more and have access to more activities.

Plus we wanted more seasons than hot, hotter and humid!
You can get that in a few minutes if you drive to Lake Tahoe. Right this minute in 88 degree (76 in this room with air conditioning) weather I am wearing the shorts and tank top I had on when we drove through Carson City and headed toward Lake Tahoe. I also had on sandals and when we checked into Wyndham South Shore I had realized I needed the jacket that goes with this part of the week ender matching outfit but my feet were freezing. I couldn't wait to get to our condo. It was October 2 of last year and Carson City made my outfit appropriate but I changed immediately when we unpacked, looked outside and it was snowing. I grabbed my fake fur and suede ankle hiking boots to go with my long pants and long sleeve sweater we went to the grocery store just in case we got stuck there.

The scene in the grocery store was comical with the different ways people were dressed. The locals had on boots and hooded fur lined coats. Some of the people were in shorts and everybody was laughing about the quick change in the weather.

Old 08-03-2017, 03:47 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,780,493 times
Interesting takes on where and why posters here retire. I'd like to live somewhere rural when I retire. I thought about being an expat, but I have no firm plans in place on where to retire. I'm still at least 2 decades away from retiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement