Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2022, 01:24 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Or you could adopt a senior dog - there are many dogs who are over 8 or 9 years old looking for a forever home.
True, but I would only recommend that to people who can afford a fairly major expense (depending on one's income).

Our dog cost us only the cost of food, tick medications and a yearly exam for the first six years or so of her life, and then the costs started getting much more expensive, including three major surgeries and one minor one, and in the last year, she needed a special diet and several medications -- so her yearly cost tripled from what it was when she was young. (Not that we begrudged it! She was the joy of our lives for all the 16 years she was with us, and we were heartbroken when she died.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 01:43 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,406,561 times
I haven't gotten such high vet bills with my many seniors. Mostly they run out of gas and have hind quarter failure or liver failure. Only one cancer situation. Maybe it's because I adopt them pretty old and (small dogs) lived through their vulnerable years.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:45 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,552,321 times
I have adopted many seniors and some are costly and some aren’t. Old dogs are likely to be killed in shelters so better to go to a home and be loved even if the owners can’t afford to do everything possible for them.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:09 PM

815 posts, read 982,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
True, but I would only recommend that to people who can afford a fairly major expense (depending on one's income).

Our dog cost us only the cost of food, tick medications and a yearly exam for the first six years or so of her life, and then the costs started getting much more expensive, including three major surgeries and one minor one, and in the last year, she needed a special diet and several medications -- so her yearly cost tripled from what it was when she was young. (Not that we begrudged it! She was the joy of our lives for all the 16 years she was with us, and we were heartbroken when she died.)
There are many rescue organizations that are eager to get their senior dogs/cats out of the kennels and in to real homes. Space for the animals is often limited at the facilities, but they have funds to pay for animals to be fostered. They will pay for all vet bills (and often food) for people who will foster the animals, and will take the animals back if something happens.

While on paper, you would not be the owner of the animal, it is generally understood that a senior pet will spend the rest of their life with you, and not be promoted for adoption elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2022, 02:15 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
There are many rescue organizations that are eager to get their senior dogs/cats out of the kennels and in to real homes. Space for the animals is often limited at the facilities, but they have funds to pay for animals to be fostered. They will pay for all vet bills (and often food) for people who will foster the animals, and will take the animals back if something happens.

While on paper, you would not be the owner of the animal, it is generally understood that a senior pet will spend the rest of their life with you, and not be promoted for adoption elsewhere.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-12-2022, 05:32 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:

I've been reading about that. What a lovely way for a senior to be able to afford a senior dog. It's a win/win situation for everyone.

Old 06-12-2022, 07:04 PM

319 posts, read 199,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I bought a condo last year that’s easy for me to take care of. I have a balcony instead of a yard. It’s perfect for me at 833sq ft. My friend will take my 2 dogs if something happens to me or my youngest son will.
Did that in 2019. Around 900 sq ft. Good thing because the house craziness struck and the price would be double today.

I wasn't going to wait until until old-old age hit and left us in a bad place. This has been a gradual process since 2008. It was a horrific time to sell a house, but one came on the market that was perfect for the first step: downsize from a big house and a lot of land to a small house on a manageable parcel.

In 2018, we were both retired and decided it was time for the next step: small-small dwelling in a lower cost of living state. We came out better on that sale than the 2008 period and had more than enough to relocate. Found a small condo community (16 units) sitting on 11 acres, giving us plenty of room to exercise our puppers and to not feel like we were living in Apartmentville. The community is 90% seniors, in an area becoming very popular with retirees, creating more services targeted to that age group. That was like striking gold.

Waiting until retirement age to make those kind of decisions isn't wise, IMO. Spouse and I were in our 40s and 50s when we began scratching ideas on paper. We had diligently contributed to 401Ks and were each eligible for a pension, but once we got serious about projecting a life into 60s and 70s and beyond we kinda got scared, thinking we had started too late.

As far as doggos, we have two dogs who are 5 and one who is getting close to stepping on the Rainbow Bridge. I don't want to say "never," but (for me) I've discovered age doesn't just make one's body more brittle, it frays the emotions. Watching my beloved Hanshi fade, I'm glad I'm on Amitriptyline. My sleep doctor prescribed it for insomnia (works great for that), but it's also a mild antidepressant. If Sumo and Mango live out the typical number of years for their breed, I'll be well into my 70s and will not want to face any more pet losses.
Attached Thumbnails
Elder Orphans: Aging without Support-dscn6422.jpg  

Old 06-12-2022, 10:04 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:

Well, this is good to know, having been a concern. I have a 15-year old cat, being together since she was a baby. I have worried about her care if something happens to me or have considered being unable to have another pet when she goes. So many of us want to have pet companions.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:19 PM

17,402 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
Well, this is good to know, having been a concern. I have a 15-year old cat, being together since she was a baby. I have worried about her care if something happens to me or have considered being unable to have another pet when she goes. So many of us want to have pet companions.
Consider volunteering with a rescue group. You'll get to know some volunteers who would gladly take care of your baby should something happen to you.

Old 06-12-2022, 11:39 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Consider volunteering with a rescue group. You'll get to know some volunteers who would gladly take care of your baby should something happen to you.
Oh, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement