Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2022, 01:19 PM

7,416 posts, read 4,198,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmygrooveback View Post
I was always afraid of leaving my dog behind if I passed on before her. My 15-year old dog died last month and I am considering adopting another dog in a year from now because dogs are a great joy in my life. However, I plan on adopting a dog around four years old because I am 65 and I don't want my dog to outlive me. I think it is important to make plans for your dog's care if you should pass before the dog does. The last rescue I adopted had me sign a contract saying I would give the dog back if I could not care for her any longer so
that is probably what I would do if I was unable to care for my next dog.
Or you could adopt a senior dog - there are many dogs who are over 8 or 9 years old looking for a forever home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 01:19 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,666,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmygrooveback View Post
I was always afraid of leaving my dog behind if I passed on before her. My 15-year old dog died last month and I am considering adopting another dog in a year from now because dogs are a great joy in my life. However, I plan on adopting a dog around four years old because I am 65 and I don't want my dog to outlive me. I think it is important to make plans for your dog's care if you should pass before the dog does. The last rescue I adopted had me sign a contract saying I would give the dog back if I could not care for her any longer so
that is probably what I would do if I was unable to care for my next dog.
You can include your dog in your will and let your family and friends know about your plans for the pooch. Our dogs are all to go to a rescue. They know already. They are also included in our estate planning.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:43 PM

17,472 posts, read 16,647,402 times
Basically, when you get to the point that taking care of yourself and a home is a struggle for you, you either hire things done or move into an over 55 Independent Living or Assisted Living apartment. Ideally, you would have downsized by this point into a smaller home and have everything orderly so that moving into a senior apartment will be as stress free as possible.

It's a common problem that everyone encounters if they live long enough. Even if you have adult children you can't expect them to drop everything in their own lives to become your personal assistant. Your children might be in the position to help you and you might even be able to move in with one of your kids, but that isn't something that you can plan to do. If you are planning for yourself, you have to think of how you (not others) are going to handle things.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:11 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,625,599 times
I bought a condo last year that’s easy for me to take care of. I have a balcony instead of a yard. It’s perfect for me at 833sq ft. My friend will take my 2 dogs if something happens to me or my youngest son will.

Old 06-09-2022, 10:52 PM

22,103 posts, read 13,106,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I bought a condo last year that’s easy for me to take care of. I have a balcony instead of a yard. It’s perfect for me at 833sq ft. My friend will take my 2 dogs if something happens to me or my youngest son will.
I hope so. I've known people to die with such promises from others that weren't kept.

And I envy you your little condo with the little balcony! Perfection.

Although I would also need a pool...

Old 06-09-2022, 11:21 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,625,599 times
There’s a outside heated pool. My best friend of 25 years will take my dogs but if she can’t for some reason my young son is a dog lover. The breeder whose much younger than me has asked for them back if I die so they will get a good home. My friend is so serious she asked to be named in my will as their new owner. What she doesn’t know is that I also left her 4K for their care.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:27 AM

17,472 posts, read 16,647,402 times
If something were to happen to both my husband and myself (very unlikely but crazy stuff happens), our sons would absolutely take care of our dogs. They are family pets that the kids grew up with and very much a part of our kids' lives now. Our dogs are covered.

Old 06-11-2022, 10:36 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,078,076 times
Many elder orphans are not financially equipped to hire services or go into an over 55 community or assisted living like a previous poster said. I know an elder orphan who has no family, never married, and had a meager income before retirement. She lives on very meager SS. She is almost 80 and is grappling with what to do with herself when she gets to the point of needing more care. She owns a modest home but that's it. Certainly not enough assets to buy into an over 55 community or assisted living. People say, "oh, get somebody to cut your grass". Well, not everyone has enough money to afford that. My elderly mother never did (I cut the grass for her).

The problem for elder orphans is that many of the services they need are not covered by social welfare programs. Things like lawn care or snow removal--these things have to be paid for by the homeowner. Okay, you say, sell the house. Even if she can sell her house (and it's not in tiptop shape nor updated), it won't be enough to pay for over 55 or assisted living. Or say, the elder orphan needs someone to lug boxes of donations to the nearby thrift store. Who's going to do that for her? Or who will come and change and wash her bed sheets for her if her knee arthritis is acting up but she's not "bad" enough or "poor" enough to qualify for some kind of home health aide? These elder orphans have a lot of situations like this.

I consider this a "donut hole" type situation for these elder orphans who have some assets but not enough. They are not poor enough to qualify for aid but not rich enough to afford services.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:42 AM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,525 posts, read 6,339,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Many elder orphans are not financially equipped to hire services or go into an over 55 community or assisted living like a previous poster said. I know an elder orphan who has no family, never married, and had a meager income before retirement. She lives on very meager SS. She is almost 80 and is grappling with what to do with herself when she gets to the point of needing more care. She owns a modest home but that's it. Certainly not enough assets to buy into an over 55 community or assisted living. People say, "oh, get somebody to cut your grass". Well, not everyone has enough money to afford that. My elderly mother never did (I cut the grass for her).

The problem for elder orphans is that many of the services they need are not covered by social welfare programs. Things like lawn care or snow removal--these things have to be paid for by the homeowner. Okay, you say, sell the house. Even if she can sell her house (and it's not in tiptop shape nor updated), it won't be enough to pay for over 55 or assisted living. Or say, the elder orphan needs someone to lug boxes of donations to the nearby thrift store. Who's going to do that for her? Or who will come and change and wash her bed sheets for her if her knee arthritis is acting up but she's not "bad" enough or "poor" enough to qualify for some kind of home health aide? These elder orphans have a lot of situations like this.

I consider this a "donut hole" type situation for these elder orphans who have some assets but not enough. They are not poor enough to qualify for aid but not rich enough to afford services.
Good points. Im 72 myself. But I dont consider myself to be elderly. Yet. Maybe when Im 80. I guess I do qualify as an orphan. Only child. No living relatives except distant cousins. The few friends I had have also passed. Husband is disabled and just went into SNF so no time to make new ones.

I usually dont recommend taking a reverse mortgage to people for obvious reasons. High fees etc.. But in her case this might be one of those scenes where a reverse mortgage might be of use. Wouldnt hurt to check it out since selling wont give her enough funds for assisted living etc.

She could use those funds now from a reverse mortgage for house repair and to help with independent living like lawn care and house cleaning. If she cant live at home without help and ends in a SNF then they will take the house anyways.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:49 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,078,076 times
She already checked out a reverse mortgage and said it's not for her. I don't know all the specifics. She has some mental limitations and I think she just doesn't have the wherewithal to deal with heavy duty financial decisions like that at this point. It's not mental illness or dementia but simply an inability to process and absorb certain types of information, which I can understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement