Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
There's really only one thing to keep in mind.
Wherever you go, you take yourself with you.

After many years of self doubt, me, myself, and I are good friends now. I like who I am now, enjoy my own company, and feel ready for something new.

Old 03-05-2018, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushyEyeBrows View Post
If you think you may qualify for section 42 housing, go for that. Assets as I understand, do not count. It isn't the same as low income housing as you can make alot more $$ and there are no subsidies. Get on the list.

Beyond that, I'd say go for it. Use Sperlings website to compare cities. If possible visit any city you may want to live in FIRST.

Thank you for this information. I have never heard of section 42 housing. I will check it out on Google.

I've been using Sperling for quite a while now. Plenty of good information. I have discovered the small town I'm interested in is very close in comparison for COL to where I live now, feel very good about that.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:31 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I've never done a major life move with no job or way to support myself lined up. That's the most important thing for working people. For you, that's not necessary, so you have considerably more flexibility with where to go.

I saw Asheville/western NC mentioned several times. I've spent tons of time in Asheville, and spent the weekend hiking and other back roads stuff in western NC. Asheville proper has become extremely expensive to live in. This is what a nearly $300,000 house gets you in Asheville now. Waiting lists for assistance programs like housing are long anywhere, but I'd imagine the waits are even higher in some destination place like Asheville.

As far as a glaucoma ophthalmologist, I have no idea, but keep in mind that if you are in WNC, you'll be going back to Asheville for anything major. Many of the little towns can be up to an hour away from Asheville on winding mountain roads that are difficult to drive. I drove NC-80 in McDowell County, NC yesterday, through the mountains for about an hour, and it was exhausting. If you can't find something in Asheville or whatever other small metro area, you're going to a major city, how ever far that is.

Last edited by Yac; 12-10-2020 at 02:12 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 07:02 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Many times I've rolled those dice. I quit a job on the spot without even thinking about it when my boss pushed me to do what I felt was wrong and unfair to others. I joined the Air Force. I moved across the country to another state where I didn't know a soul. We just bought a nightly rental property, a business we have no experience in. Hey, how do you get experience other than trying something new?

Do your research. Visit lots of places. Find your spot, the place you feel at home. You say that you've got your income in place, that won't change. So you're going to be okay. Just really do your homework about the costs involved at your new place, and that you will have access to the are important to you (transportation, medical care, whatever you are concerned about), and then make that step.

Failing to decide is a decision in itself. If you don't move forward, you have CHOSEN to stay stagnant.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:26 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
She'll do it. She's gonna make it. She's got this.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
She'll do it. She's gonna make it. She's got this.

Thank you!! Having confidence in abilities and desire to do it are the keys, at least for now.

Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
You are absolutely right about pets. I haven't gone very far or for overnight in a long time because I can't find someone to come in to look after them and the price of boarding them is unbelievable.

I don't have a lot of money but believe what I have will finance my move and hopefully new life. I've always done my best to provide good care for my cats. Vet visits, shots, medicine when needed. And food, litter, toys, snacks, etc.

I don't want that responsibility anymore. Yes, I am going to cry when they are rehomed. And probably worry about them being OK. But hopefully that will be replaced by happiness and joy at my new area and life.
A cat can easily be left alone for 2-3 nights, especially as there are two that can keep other company. Clean the litter box(es), set down plenty of food and water. They will be fine.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:01 AM

274 posts, read 326,798 times
No, I have never done anything without a great deal of planning. I always have a pretty good idea as planning progresses what will work and what won't. The plans are altered as new things pop up. Obviously some people do, and it works out. But I am very patient. I enjoy working toward a goal slowly over a long time. Probably figure out too many things in advance for some people, but this is the method that works for me.

My way out of your situation would be to locate several places(towns/homes) online that are affordable, not just one. Make sure when the time comes there will most likely be something available (they don't go too fast). Make sure each spot has the shopping availability, public transit, healthcare, whatever, that you need. Then you can be flexible and switch from Place A to Place B at the last minute.

Declutter your home for sale time by getting up each day and attacking a different room. Boxing what you want to take with, tossing or selling or donating what you don't. Call realtors to come in and give estimates, as well as advise about what it needs to sell. It might take longer than you think.

What you really need though is a friend or relative that can come over and lend a hand now and then, as well as go over your plans. You need someone to bounce this off in person that knows your situation. People on here can't really SEE what you need to do. They can offer only very general advice, and pep talks, but that may not be what's really needed. If there isn't anyone, what about county social services? Call and ask for someone to visit as you are alone and need help with some things. A person who can actually SEE YOU and your situation, and lend their thoughts, is really what you need to make this happen, IMO. Doubtless others will disagree, this being the internet! I stand by it.

Best of Luck! If I was nearby I'd come over!

Old 03-05-2018, 09:36 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
I would also look into places that have some sort of active community center for seniors with classes & social events, perhaps even a 55+ community, something that already has an environment to get involved with others right away without demanding a lot of effort, like easy to walk to or very close by.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:37 AM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
If you're going to rehome the kitties, do it now. It'll be easier to check on them for your own peace of mind and leave you freer to search/travel.

I think that's the 1st step. It will get the ball rolling and let you take the next step. and the next. and the next. Pretty soon you'll have to change your C-D name to NCgal2018.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.