Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:26 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the hill gang View Post
Quilted Northern ultra plush, now that is some soft toilet paper.
Comfy yes, but those ultra plush toilet papers don't break down. Roto-rooter guys just love 'em though. Keeps them in business. That "septic safe" on the package is pure b.s., trust me. Yes it will eventually break down once it gets TO the system but it tends to clog up the lines 'on the way.'

I used to use Charmin Ultra Soft until I had to pay big bucks to get half the house plumbing rootered a couple of years ago, but I couldn't stand using the typical recommendation (Scott's) which is one step above fine grade sandpaper IMHO. After much trial and error I found a good compromise: the Walgreen's "Nice" brand, Premium Ultra Soft, the one with the grey kitten on the package. It dissolves much quicker than you'd expect for a 2-ply with quilting. The Charmin hardly dissolves at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 06:28 PM

sorry, accidental duplication -- now erased.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,959 times
I have 0 tolerance for TV commercials, been watching TV for as long as I can remember, and
Can say, I have never bought one thing that has been advertised.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:04 PM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
deeken said: The poor people in the world are reproducing at an alarming rate and no one seems to realize this. Something must be done and no one is doing anything about it.

Please read the book "Factfullness" by Hans Rosling to learn important information about overpopulation in poor countries. The number of babies a woman has decreases dramatically in response to economic improvement. This has happened in numerous countries regardless of religious leaning or ethnicity and continues to improve as 3rd world countries improve their economies.

There are people doing something about it. This is just one of the points made in the book. Things are better than we think.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
Quote:
There isn't a lot that really bothers me but...

I detest people that blow their nose at the table in restaurants, IMO it is beyond rude and disgusting.

It also bothers me that when people have the flu etc....they go in public places spreading it. There was a lady in HEB recently and all she did was cough all over the produce when I saw her and didn't even bother covering her mouth. She was asking the produce man about something and even shared she was running a fever, he said you know we can deliver so you don't have to come in and share it, she just laughed.

I also hate seeing dogs chained in yards, that's no kind of life for an animal. It just my opinion but I feel if someone really wants a dog, they should keep it inside or have a fenced yard.
  • I am so very disgusted with TV commercials.
Bye Bye TV. I've got an alternative all sown up. Don't need you anymore.
  • Foreign languages that I don't understand being spoken at the table
or by the servers calling back and forth to each other in a restaurant while they are working. It's just bad manners.
  • The sinful amount of profit made
on simple items that we just pay without complaining. China isn't taking advantage of America, they are giving America what we demand !! Dirt cheap costs so our gigantic American companies can make an enormous profit margin and continue to overcharge shoppers.
  • Banks make billions
a quarter and only pay 1.75 - 2% interest on savings accounts. Also they expect us to pay for all our ATM transactions. Did we see any of that bail out money we paid them from our taxes? Did any one of them give us any breaks on bank charges or give higher investment rates?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
deeken said: The poor people in the world are reproducing at an alarming rate and no one seems to realize this. Something must be done and no one is doing anything about it.

Please read the book "Factfullness" by Hans Rosling to learn important information about overpopulation in poor countries. The number of babies a woman has decreases dramatically in response to economic improvement. This has happened in numerous countries regardless of religious leaning or ethnicity and continues to improve as 3rd world countries improve their economies.

There are people doing something about it. This is just one of the points made in the book. Things are better than we think.

Even if the number of babies a woman has in these poor countries, they are still reproducing at an alarming rated. If a woman in Niger's fertility rate was 8-9 in 1970 it is over 6.3 today. Take a look at the fertility rates of women around the world according to CIA's World Factbook. Niger has a fertility rate of 6.35 while South Korea is 1.2. There is not going to be enough resources for these poor people. I don't see the optimism this book has lead you to believe.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:11 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
I don't think I've become more intolerant, but I have always been impatient. So today's style of ordering online and having to WAIT doesn't suit me.

I had to order a plant container from Walmart but I needed it that day!
Needed bathroom shelves but the stores don't have them in stock. Had to spend a lot of time online looking at them, ordering them, and waiting.

We were in the middle of assembling something & dh needed a tool. Home Depot made him go online and order it.

It saves money for the stores because they don't have to keep things in stock but it's really inconvenient and annoying. Reminds me of the old Sears Roebuck mail order catalogues. Have we come full circle?

Old 12-12-2018, 07:02 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
I don't mind TV commercials at all. Some are quite funny! They also give me a chance to run to the bathroom or get a snack in the kitchen or take the dog outside if she is asking.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:01 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
There isn't a lot that really bothers me but...

I detest people that blow their nose at the table in restaurants, IMO it is beyond rude and disgusting.

It also bothers me that when people have the flu etc....they go in public places spreading it. There was a lady in HEB recently and all she did was cough all over the produce when I saw her and didn't even bother covering her mouth. She was asking the produce man about something and even shared she was running a fever, he said you know we can deliver so you don't have to come in and share it, she just laughed.

I also hate seeing dogs chained in yards, that's no kind of life for an animal. It just my opinion but I feel if someone really wants a dog, they should keep it inside or have a fenced yard.
I haven't noticed I'm less tolerant of anything. I am more tolerant of some things, actually. I've learned a thing or two in my decades on earth and am more patient and tolerant. What I'm intolerant of now, I have always been intolerant of.

I've always been intolerant of animal cruelty, so no difference there.

One difference I have, though, happened when I got to middle age. That was to quit trying to like things I don't like either because I thought I should, or to fit in, or because most people do. In my 40s I decided to quit trying to like swimming or any water sport, driving long distances, anchovies, liver, eating at expensive restaurants, watching football, spending time with disagreeable people or people who criticize me, etc. I figured if I didn't like those things by middle age, despite trying, then I was never going to like them.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
One difference I have, though, happened when I got to middle age. That was to quit trying to like things I don't like either because I thought I should, or to fit in, or because most people do. ... I figured if I didn't like those things by middle age, despite trying, then I was never going to like them.

Absolutely!

I call it my "life is too short to put up with [insert name of always-secretly-disliked thing here]" philosophy.

Chief among those was having any sort of alcoholic drink just because it was a social occasion. I have never liked the taste of any of them. The closest, I'd say, was a couple of VERY sweet German dessert wines. But as for anything else - beer, wine, liquour, cordials, whatever - I never liked it but always felt like I had to have "a drink" of some type because literally everyone else there was doing so.

Oh wait, I take it back, there was one drink I did like, but often unavailable: a Brandy Alexander (vanilla ice cream, brandy, and creme de cacao; omit the nutmeg, please). I liked it because it didn't taste like a 'drink'. But other than that one thing, bleah. Yet I spent decades being too socially insecure to simply order a cream soda or ginger ale instead. How stupid was that?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement