Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:10 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Good grief. Find a home for your pets and travel!!! Life is too short!

This is exactly why I don't want any pets - I want to be able to take off any time and hit the road.
You’ve made the choice not to have pets but that doesn’t give you permission to tell others what to do. I have pets and your post hit me the wrong way. Enough to say: Don’t let the road hit you on your ass on the way out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
^^^^^^^ jean_ji: I heartily agree with you.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
I've now been retired 1 year. Sometimes it's great, others times it's okay and occasionally it's less than okay. It's kind of like life. The biggest adjustment for me is that at 56 years old there are few people my age retired to do things with and I went from a very social environment to a more solitude one. Many of my friends are at the busiest stages of their careers and have limited availability. My wife is younger than I am and is far from retirement age. I had planned to work a part-time job on a more regular basis but have found that it wasn't my passion once it became more than part-time and that the schedule is so erratic that it prevents me from planning anything longterm. Although I planned for the financial part of retirement and have sufficient income having some additional income would be a benefit down the road so I am looking for a regular 25 hour per week job that works with my schedule, ideally early mornings until around noon. Ironically, my dog is my retirement buddy and gets me up and moving as he demands multiple daily walks.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
[quote=fallstaff;55403278] it's been like a series of rainy Saturday afternoons the whole time. Just lazing around with no particular place to go and a blank calendar.

That sounds like a bad thing but really it seems to be what I've always wanted. Was watching a rerun of a 90's TV show. People were exhorting (harassing) the main character to get out of his rut. He tries to change his life and, of course, it's a series of comic mishaps. Finally at the end he tells his girlfriend: Why do I have to get out of my rut? I like my rut. I worked hard to get into this rut!

I thought: [i]That's exactly the feeling I've been trying to put into words all these years. [quote]

I don't have many problems with my boring retirement. I answer to no one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Not sure who 'WE' is but ok is ok with me.. I enjoy not having to answer to a boss, scheduling my own time, wearing what I want (had a dress code).

I'm not thrilled or ecstatic over it. It's just a way of life now. I appreciate being at this stage of life but by most people's standards, it's a boring life.

I don't care about other peoples' standards. I like my boring life.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's not important what others might consider boring; only how you consider your life. If you're perfectly happy, then that's absolutely fine.

Nobody's trying to tell anyone else how they should spend their retirement years;
Oh no? Sure could have fooled me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Aaaah, so if having a tale to tell is part of this, then maybe what you need to do is develop a "satisfied cat that ate the canary" look to go with saying "It's ok." Then you have a tale of mystery! Your friends think you're being humble and will give you points for not bragging, but they'll also think you must have some interesting (but secret) tales to give you such a satisfied grin.

ps. A bonus benefit of doing this is the contented grin will convince you, too. It's funny but true that deciding to smile while you're doing something can often make even mundane tasks more interesting.
I like that. ^^^^^^ It doesn't bother me to just say "okay" or "I'm surviving it". Too bad if they don't like it.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:46 AM

At this point, I have been retired since September 2010. Retirement through need for medical treatment. I have glaucoma and more currently a retina problem. So it's back and forth to the doctor. Still ongoing. Currently a problem with a prescribed medication, waiting for some kind of advice/information, etc.

I don't have a big income so activities that cost $$$ are limited.

But I'll take the day-to-day life I have now (my 2 cats give me lots of love and comfort) over the way it used to be.

Being alive and staying healthy are good enough for me.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:51 AM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I certainly think that retirement is like life only better because you don't have to go to work. Everything else is up to you. I think the "bucket list" idea is only for a certain type of personality. I am thinking more and more about not "grabbing" things, although I have usually been NOT that kind of personality. I do think that way of holding activities can get sort of consumeristic, rather, not being in the present as much as ticking off boxes and maybe having ego about what one does. Like consuming all the 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado and ignoring those peaks that are a few feet lower and have far fewer visitors. "Bagging" certain trails. Fine for people who operate that way but not a requirement in retirement.

I have found that learning to live in my new community and having my senior adoptee dogs is far more satisfying than trips I've taken. I just spent my emergency fund money on buying a rental house for people who are devoted to taking my dogs if something happens to me. I do hope they will buy it from me when they can, but now they are not in a position. This means more to me than having money for travel. I am thinking that, as I gain some health and energy (as I hope to, as previously posted elsewhere) and the family buys the house from me, I might decide to go on some travel. I am interested in Road Scholar and Overseas Adventure Travel.

Would happily take some road trips if I had someone to travel with, low energy or not. But daily, I am happier home with my views and weather and dogs having a home than I would be if free to focus on other stuff. Happier than I was when working, and I never "grabbed" at achievement or anything while working, but slogged on to make a living and try to make a difference (for pay).

Old 06-12-2019, 12:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
Maybe some (or one) are reacting to having eight dogs, and recently ten dogs - which the OP has.

And the OP says it can be problematic and something she sometimes regrets. OP has mentioned having 10, and now 8 dogs as problematic in the past too, and has written about it in the past. OP brought this up in this thread too.

Just a thought. Won't get in the middle of it!

Old 06-12-2019, 12:03 PM

My goodness. Whatever happened to being kind?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:06 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My goodness. Whatever happened to being kind?
Some people just are not able to read things and not take them personally.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:54 PM

413 posts, read 701,697 times
Everyone has their own ideal's for retirement and occupying our time. I do get tired of people who ask,"but what do you do with your time?" As if one must always have worthwhile pursuits. I think sometimes our Puritan work ethic pursues us into retirement. It tries to make me feel guilty for just goofing off and not working harder at having fun or self-improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement