Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 12:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times

Advertisements

This is very sad.

We just attended a memorial for a recently retired client. Those present calculated she had yet to receive her first pension check. We don't think she ever took a vacation out of town. She had talked about traveling the world in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 12:56 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
This is very sad.

We just attended a memorial for a recently retired client. Those present calculated she had yet to receive her first pension check. We don't think she ever took a vacation out of town. She had talked about traveling the world in retirement.
A wise man once said, nobody lays on their deathbed and says, gee I wish I spent more time in the office.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:21 PM

813 posts, read 402,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Sorry for your loss.

The good news is he never knew he never got one day of retirement or one penny of SS. Thus, he was never disappointed.
That does not dampen the sadness for his friend and family who know the deceased missed out. When I was teenager a family friend was found one day in his bathtub dead from a heart attack. He was only 40. What we still remember is that he turned down opportunities to enjoy a little of his money on weekends. He was bent on saving everything for retirement. It is best to enjoy some today while still focusing on retirement.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:14 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
A wise man once said, nobody lays on their deathbed and says, gee I wish I spent more time in the office.
i never heard anyone say i wish i spent more time in retirement or i wish i saved less either . the discussions tend to be a whole lot different at that point . but it still sounds good to say .

Old 08-01-2019, 02:29 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I still say that it doesn't have to be all one way or all the other. (Save, save, save or spend, spend, spend.) I have taken frequent vacations ever since I left home, even though some of the them were just tent camping weekends during the lean years; and my husband and I usually have a nice dinner out an average of once a month. But, even though we have not been living like misers for the past 40 or so years, we still have quite a bit of money in different retirement accounts, even though we are not multi-millionaires or have even one million saved -- plus our Social Security will be more than enough for our regular monthly and yearly expenses. We are retiring next year, when my husband will be 64 and I'll be 67; and we figure that we will have at least enough to have a good retirement until at least age 80. We are paying for our retirement home in cash, so we can sell it if we need to do that so that we don't end up impoverished and living in some 8' x 10' room or very "low rent" apartment.

Based on my experience and what I have read elsewhere, the average age for people to slow down and not want to do so much seems to be about 75, so we should have a good retirement, barring some kind of major catastrophe. However, if one or both of us were to die or end up permanently incapacitated tomorrow, at least we have died with more memories than just working, doing housework, and sitting around the house watching TV, playing video games, or reading.

But, as always, "to each his own".

Old 08-02-2019, 05:47 AM

230 posts, read 189,866 times
I worked until I was 67 because I enjoyed my job. I retired in June of 2018 and will soon be 68. I am loving every moment of retirement but I do not regret working as long as I did. My wife and I just had a conversation about starting to tap into our nest egg and enjoying life more which we plan to do. We will be moving from Wisconsin to Tennessee in the next month or so and plan to buy a home, a new boat and start taking some of those bucket list trips.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
The good news is he never knew he never got one day of retirement or one penny of SS. Thus, he was never disappointed.
That's true; being dead doesn't bother the person who is dead; it's only painful to others. It's a lot like being stupid...

Old 08-02-2019, 07:03 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
There was a guy where I used to work who didn't want to retire and dropped dead at 47. His wife gets the company provided life insurance of 3X his salary that one gets if they die in service, but since he never retired, she doesn't get a penny of his pension.

Conversely, another man with whom I'd worked had gotten divorced late in life and REFUSED to retire so that his wife would never get any of his pension. He died at 70, still working. Sure showed her, huh?

Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I what bizarre, negative world you live in.

I'm 59, been retired fully for 3 years now. Don't feel useless for a second. And if my grand kids were to ridicule me, their parents would nip that in the bud right away. My kids were raised well enough that they're raising their kids. My health is still excellent. I exercise everyday. As are my mental faculties. The medical industry comes up with new acronyms and cutesy names because medical research evolves daily. We have very few needs and have saved very well for our futures.

I suppose I'm a glass is half full person. You sound like a glass is empty and cracked type of person. I bet you're fun at parties.
Nice humblebrag.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:19 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
He died in his sleep on Sunday night. Never got one day of retirement, never got one penny of social security.

Time waits for no man.
Just had this type of conversation this a.m. with my yoga instructor. I worked in health care and saw a lot of this. Unfortunately we work to pay bills current and future. But if that's covered, you've got to realize you're trading time in your life for money/wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement