Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 11:58 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I would not recommend van or any sort of RV living for a single person with limited mobility and a very small income. You need to think about support whethere that is government services or family and friends. You won't easily find that on BLM lands in the middle of nowhere.
After living so frugally for so long between the accident and finally getting SSDI which turned into SS when I reached 65, I have no problem with my 'small check' each month. I even manage to save some of it.

Right now I live FAR away from family and friends. By traveling with like minded people in a caravan (as I have mentioned I would do) I would have friends. Government services aren't close either. I really don't understand your rational.

Regardless, I'll do what I think is best for me as I'm the only one that has to live with my decisions in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 12:03 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Understand, the RV is not for everyone.
I visited some of my RV loving family members and friends when they were” camping” in our area- travelled to see them for a couple of hours in our car.
For the love of God could not understand the appeal- surrounded by all other campers in an “allocated” space in a campground.
The example below is google image- with fancy campers in a nice area to make my point.
I saw much, much worth looking RV with all camping chairs out and in a tightly spaced campground visiting my friends there...

You call it “ nature”? Peaceful?
My RV camping friends have more nature on their own multi-acres property in the lovely and beautiful mountain - forests area
Heck, we have more nature in our private backyard..

Not all RV spots are like that, but even if that is where they stay, view more as the "hotel room", and not the actual destination. You are taking your own hotel room to places to do things, not stay in the hotel room.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-25-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not all RV spots are like that, but even if that is where they stay, view more as the "hotel room", and not the actual destination. You are taking your own hotel room to places to do things, not stay in the hotel room.
That's an interesting aspect. The last 5 years of my working career, I was responsible for securing motel rooms for our group. We traveled 4 times yearly to different communities.

The main concern was bedbugs and I depended on other community development teams with previous experience of the motel for information. Thankfully in those 5 years no one ended up with them.

That's another reason to travel and sleep in your own bed. I was actually worried traveling from Minnesota to Arizona because of the horror stories I heard from people.

I can certainly understand staying in a RV park as opposed to a motel any day.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:45 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
That's an interesting aspect. The last 5 years of my working career, I was responsible for securing motel rooms for our group. We traveled 4 times yearly to different communities.

The main concern was bedbugs and I depended on other community development teams with previous experience of the motel for information. Thankfully in those 5 years no one ended up with them.

That's another reason to travel and sleep in your own bed. I was actually worried traveling from Minnesota to Arizona because of the horror stories I heard from people.

I can certainly understand staying in a RV park as opposed to a motel any day.

And you have all your stuff, no packing and unpacking. Can cook if you want. Can take your pets.

Guess who is getting an RV when they move?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-25-2019, 12:56 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Interesting to read everyone's opinions.. I plan to full time in a small commercially-built RV when I retire, for at least a couple years. It'll have the comforts I need and allow me to see the country on my own terms, with a dog for company. One of my requirements is a black tank though, no porta potties or cassette toilets for me. I figure I've been picking up dog poop for 20+ years, I can handle dumping mine when necessary. :-)

Old 08-25-2019, 02:06 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
We have had a small RV about 10 years and have taken a few long trips and numerous weekend getaways. We like the interaction with other campers and having our own bed and space wherever we are.

No, I would not want to live an RV full time but I could see retiring in a few years and being out for 2 or 3 months at a time. Will still want a home base.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
We have had a small RV about 10 years and have taken a few long trips and numerous weekend getaways. We like the interaction with other campers and having our own bed and space wherever we are.

No, I would not want to live an RV full time but I could see retiring in a few years and being out for 2 or 3 months at a time. Will still want a home base.
From what I see on videos and reading, a lot of people are doing that. You can go where you want, when you want and retain a home base.

And isn't that part of the perks of retirement? We work all our lives and hope to attain pleasurable results in the end.

I like your idea, jasperhobbs.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

I actually have to say, I really, really like my new apartment. It's the first one I've had for a long, long time where I look around and think, I love this place.

The windows, all the light, the kitchen set up, I love everything about this place. So, unless it turns into something different, I will probably become a traveler rather than a nomad. UNLESS, they change the guidelines for section 8.

It does worry me that I am just on the border of eligibility and, I think, it may depend on the next election to see if eligibility remains the same. I also am saving, because I had to live with so little for so long. Is that going to go against me?

I think it's best for me to be prepared. But, I could just be paranoid. I feel it's better to be prepared for the , what if's rather than to go through life with blindfolds.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:06 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Do tell. So are we. Just saw a camper van fitted out for 4-wheel drive here. From Idaho, LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I guess I’m a drifter then. I’m in Ecuador right now.

Now, that is a long way to drive.....
I would think Stephie (stepka) probably flew there though. (Howdy Steph & Sand&Salt)...

https://www.google.com/search?source...4dUDCAc&uact=5

Looks like they would have to take the vehicle by boat from Panama City to Colombia.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:20 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I actually have to say, I really, really like my new apartment. It's the first one I've had for a long, long time where I look around and think, I love this place.

The windows, all the light, the kitchen set up, I love everything about this place. So, unless it turns into something different, I will probably become a traveler rather than a nomad. UNLESS, they change the guidelines for section 8.

It does worry me that I am just on the border of eligibility and, I think, it may depend on the next election to see if eligibility remains the same. I also am saving, because I had to live with so little for so long. Is that going to go against me?

I think it's best for me to be prepared. But, I could just be paranoid. I feel it's better to be prepared for the , what if's rather than to go through life with blindfolds.

Meo, i'm really glad you love your new apartment...
I hope all your future dreams & plans come through for you...
I grew up an Army brat living in several forts across our USA & in Ben Franklin Village, Mannheim, Germany, during the first 3 years of high school. We did a lot of fishing & camping ever since i was a young'un.
At the beginning we camped in tents, then the back of an old chevie pickup.
Then, a couple used motorhomes. Our favorite is a 1978 American Clipper class c 20' long. She has A/C, a Generac 4000 generator. All the comforts of home...

We have had many wonderful times exploring some of our beautiful states, taking photos......catching fish...sometimes releasing them.

I hope you can see some amazing places during your travels.
Take Care.
Looks similar to this... vvv

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement