Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times

Advertisements

Texas is NOT the west. It is a southern plains state. Texas has a lot more in common with the south than the west. The far, far western part of Texas is more southwest, but still just Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Texas is NOT the west. It is a southern plains state. Texas has a lot more in common with the south than the west. The far, far western part of Texas is more southwest, but still just Texas.
I once commented, while in Texas, that the people spoke more rapidly than Southerners and had a midwestern feel to them. The person said that, although Texas is located in the south, much of their population was from westerners migrating there.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:50 AM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,979 times
Thanks Tek_Freek for your suggestion of Silver City. Thanks also somwhathip for your suggestions.I'll be checking some of those places.

I some how had the idea that Texas was in the southwest but I don't live there. I suppose those who live there would know more about it. I've just been been to a bit of it in the northwest part of Texas. Yes it did look like the rest of the southwest.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times

Tread cautiously with Silver City. It's an old mining town, so I would advise you to research the water quality there. A mountain face just outside of town is completely blown away. Would you be comfortable having to look at that everyday? All things considered, it seemed like an OK place at best. Heywood Hot Springs is about 45 minutes away, so that's a plus. When my wife and I were looking in the summer of 2006, we spent less than a day in Silver City. It just wasn't our cup of tea. However, maybe you'll love it. Different strokes for different folks. Good luck with your search.

blessings...Franco

Old 12-08-2007, 04:47 AM

296 posts, read 803,107 times
Quote:
"Cuba???? Maybe I'm just a victim of the media, but I would be afraid to go there until Fidel dies and the dust from all that settles. I have a feeling it might be a scary place in the next few years. "

Quote:
"That's what I was thinking, too. I may also be misinformed, but so many Cubans want out of there that I'd be very cautious."

Instead of listening to the propaganda that the government wants you to swallow, the Americans should go and find out for themselves what other countries are like. Oh wait, you can’t go to Cuba – your government has forbid it. Pity.

My colleague (a Brit) is going there on holiday soon – and another colleague is considering visiting there. They don’t think of Cuba in terms of being part of the "axis of evil" juvenile nonsense. They have an adult approach in considering Cuba, maninly they would like to learn more about the country and its people.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:37 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Visiting a place and making a permanent home there are too different things. My retirement home needs to be a place where I am assured of receiving serious medical care. A country potentially going through a political change may not be a smart place to be a frail person needing hospital care.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plain Jane 3953 View Post
Quote:
"Cuba???? Maybe I'm just a victim of the media, but I would be afraid to go there until Fidel dies and the dust from all that settles. I have a feeling it might be a scary place in the next few years. "

Quote:
"That's what I was thinking, too. I may also be misinformed, but so many Cubans want out of there that I'd be very cautious."

Instead of listening to the propaganda that the government wants you to swallow, the Americans should go and find out for themselves what other countries are like. Oh wait, you can’t go to Cuba – your government has forbid it. Pity.

My colleague (a Brit) is going there on holiday soon – and another colleague is considering visiting there. They don’t think of Cuba in terms of being part of the "axis of evil" juvenile nonsense. They have an adult approach in considering Cuba, maninly they would like to learn more about the country and its people.
I think a lot of the US media seems to be slanted, even the ones that I trust come up with junk opinions at times.
Cuba travel is banned from the US, but I hear that some are visiting the country throught Mexico, some through Canada and there may even be travel agencies of these countries here, in the US, that will get you there.

Part of this whole thing might be that Batista did deals with the US government, CIA, mob, etc. Tourism was encouraged to Cuba, in exchange. Castro did away with all that.

I think when Fidel dies there will be Cubans in the US dancing in the streets, and wanting to see their relatives and perhaps bring them back to the US. The ban on travel will be lifted and the island will be more prosperous.

I don't think I would feel badly about going there now, though. They probably would only allow you in the more prosperous areas, but treat you well. Of course, with the fall of the US dollar, maybe not as well as before (ha!).

Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
goldengrain wrote:
I think a lot of the US media seems to be slanted, even the ones that I trust come up with junk opinions at times.
Cuba travel is banned from the US, but I hear that some are visiting the country throught Mexico, some through Canada and there may even be travel agencies of these countries here, in the US, that will get you there.
Just yesterday I was reading an article by Judy Sion in Tom Kenyon's current newsletter ( it takes awhile for the newsletter to download ). Tom and Judy travel the world leading workshop on the topic of Sound Healing ( healing with sound ). At one point in the article, Judy wrote that one of the biggest benefits of travelling to different countries was that she got better news reports, without the US media slant on the news. She also commented that she felt safer and that the vegetables tasted better in most foreign countries.

blessings....Franco

Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
goldengrain wrote:
Just yesterday I was reading an article by Judy Sion in Tom Kenyon's current newsletter ( it takes awhile for the newsletter to download ). Tom and Judy travel the world leading workshop on the topic of Sound Healing ( healing with sound ). At one point in the article, Judy wrote that one of the biggest benefits of travelling to different countries was that she got better news reports, without the US media slant on the news. She also commented that she felt safer and that the vegetables tasted better in most foreign countries.

blessings....Franco
Do you have any experience with sound healing, Oh Great Redneck Guru?

Old 12-09-2007, 06:34 PM

56 posts, read 211,862 times
This post keeps going and going, with lots of different perspectives and some interesting "best" lists. Just came across another, different kind of "best" list - it's a new book called "101 Best Outdoor Towns". Now we know baby boomers love to be active (even if sometimes it is only watching active sports on TV!), so this book gives you a chance to read about cool places like Hood River, Oregon (wind-surfing capital of the world), Bethel, Maine (skiing, golf, and charm) or McCall, Idaho (great fly-fishing). Anyway, the publisher generously gave me several review copies to give away. To enter the drawing all you have to do is make a "comment" on the review and you will be entered. The book is new, makes a great baby boomer present. Good luck.

Last edited by Waterlily; 12-10-2007 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: no ads so I cut the price out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement