Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 09:19 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times

Advertisements

The biggest issue I have is that her purse never seems to match my shoes.
I find that carrying it like a running back lessens the emasculation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I hate to shop. Sure wouldn't favor any man who likes to do it!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:40 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I hate to shop. Sure wouldn't favor any man who likes to do it!
I'm with you. I wouldn't favor a chronic shopper either.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I went through a period of unemployment recently and spent some time at the big shopping mall near my home. It was a eye opening experience. Every time I went to the mall there were a large number of old men sitting there staring into space. They looked so bored and lonely. I tried to picture them as younger men who were working in great jobs and surrounded by tons of friends. That seems so long ago.

Do you know anyone who is lonely and bored sitting at the mall while retired?
They're waiting for their wives, who are shopping in the stores. They're thinking about different things. They're not mentally deficient old geezers sitting there slobbering and staring blindly into space, if that's what you think.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:13 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Speaking of lonely old people, I will never forget about 25 years ago when I was in my late 30's going to a Chinese food place for lunch (by myself), and seeing an old lady (probably about 75-80), all dressed up (yes, a dress, heels, make-up and hair nicely done) and sitting by herself. I always wondered if she had been "stood up" by someone, and it made me sad. I still think of her and wonder if she would have appreciated my asking her if she would like some company, even though it would been outside MY "comfort zone" to do so.
I don't get this at all. So a person wants to go eat Chinese food and takes some pride in how they look in public. All of a sudden they are labeled as lonely and stood up. Why? I wish more people took a little bit of time to look good or at least presentable when in public.
BTW, just because someone goes out to eat by themselves it doesn't make them desperate, lonely or stood up. If I go out to eat by myself, should I feel like a freak?

Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
I have been retired exactly 33 days and if I'm being brutally honest, I hate it! I have all the "stuff" I'll ever need. Good pension and soon SS benefits. Reasonably good health. Some say I'm living the dream. I say I failed to plan properly for the 2nd chapter of my life.

I retired from a very stressful corporate job that I frankly thrived on. I think the pressure and demands of my career became like an addiction to me. There is no doubt that I must find something constructive to do with myself,whether a job or volunteer work. Granted I do not wish to deal with the stress and pressure I used to have. I used to joke about getting a Home Depot job one day, but now it's no joke.

I still have a lot left in the tank and the thoughts of spending my days at the mall scares me!

Old 11-20-2016, 08:36 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
I have been retired exactly 33 days and if I'm being brutally honest, I hate it! I have all the "stuff" I'll ever need. Good pension and soon SS benefits. Reasonably good health. Some say I'm living the dream. I say I failed to plan properly for the 2nd chapter of my life.

I retired from a very stressful corporate job that I frankly thrived on. I think the pressure and demands of my career became like an addiction to me. There is no doubt that I must find something constructive to do with myself,whether a job or volunteer work. Granted I do not wish to deal with the stress and pressure I used to have. I used to joke about getting a Home Depot job one day, but now it's no joke.

I still have a lot left in the tank and the thoughts of spending my days at the mall scares me!
You need to decompress. It sounds like your job was your drug of choice in order to get "high" and was your addiction as you stated.
Have you seriously ever thought about getting some counseling. Seriously, it could help you you put things in perspective and start enjoying life.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:58 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Sounds like you need a new goal. Travel to every state? Make every recipe you can find for your favorite dish? Travel to every road game with your favorite team wearing an outrageous costume? Grow the biggest pumpkins/tomatoes/potatoes for your state or county fair?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:04 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I am a 74 year old widower. I retired at age 62. I played golf 3 times per week and kept busy with household projects. At age 66 I went to work part time for a major office supply store as I knew the manager and he needed a techie type to oversee a company project. I was paid little but I could set my own hours and all left me alone. I surprised myself by staying there for 4 years. I relocated in 2010 and never went back to work. I still play golf 3 times a week and I rarely spend a day in the house. I like to keep on the go. On a typical non-golf day, I get up about 9, catch up on the computer for a few hours while drinking a couple cups of coffee. About 11 or 12 I will shower, shave, get dressed, go out for breakfast, and run any errands. I go to the gym twice a week for a light workout. I usually set aside a few hours, several days a week for house cleaning. I usually pour myself as drink at 5pm and do some reading until 6pm. At 6pm I pour my 2nd and last drink and turn on the local TV news and watch it then the national news until 7pm. At 7pm I have supper. I rarely plan my supper so I wing it from what I have in the house. Most planning I do is maybe remember to let a steak defrost. I then watch tv (primarily movies and NetFlix) and/or play on the computer until about 10-11, then bed time.

I have a young, very, very young lady friend and we get together once a week or every 10 days for takeout food, a few drinks, and a roll in the hay. We do not keep in close contact between visits other than a few, brief phone calls.

I do not sit anyplace longer than to accomplish what I a doing. I have not been to a mall in several years and when I do, it is into a specific store and leave as soon as I am done.

Bottom line of what I am saying is keep busy. If you do not have a time consuming hobby such as golf, find something to occupy your time such as a volunteer type job. Keep on the go at all times.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Given the sex ratio of the mature demographic, there is little reason for a (straight) older man to be lonely. Go down to the senior center and you can have your pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement