Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 11:22 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times

Advertisements

Independent Man, about a year ago, we had a discussion about the Mt Hope and Hope neighborhoods. See below. And then look at massnative's map. As you'll see, there are zero problems in Hope. Mt. Hope is loaded.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhode...ence-like.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Hope and Mt Hope are different neighborhoods.

OP, avoid the Mt Hope neighborhood.

Hope is mostly fine. Which streets are you considering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
Largely a distinction without a difference. The neighborhoods back up to each other. The difference lies mostly in the proximity to Hope Street as opposed to North Main or I-95. East or West of Hope Street is a bigger division of the East Side than Hope or Mt. Hope.
Quote:
There most certainly is a distinction between Hope and Mt Hope.

Mt Hope goes from Olney to Rochambeau. Hope goes from Rochambeau to the Pawtucket line.

Mt Hope should be avoided. Hope is nicer, but it's better when closer to Hope Street than North Main.

And while I completely agree with you that east or west of Hope Street is what really matters when looking at East Side properties, that's irrelevant here because all of both Hope and Mt Hope are west of Hope Street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by independent man View Post
We'll just have to agree about Hope Street & disagree about the distinction between the Mt. Hope & Hope neighborhoods. And, leave any opinion of relevance to the OP.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:55 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
^

One thing I forgot to note is that I refrained from displaying incidents reported at institutions (primarily RIH, RWH, VA and the court house), as most of those crimes did not actually take place where they were reported or otherwise would have skewed the picture.

A few more takeaways of my own. And yes no real surprises here, to most of us anyway:

• Wayland and Reservoir have zero incidents logged to this date. Blackstone neighborhood only has one.

• The usual notorious projects (Chad Brown, Hartford, Manton Heights, University Heights, Wiggins Village) are all magnets.

• While Federal Hill is not without violence, as redplum has very well stated in the past Westminster St. is a big "divide".

• While most of the violence in Elmhurst is relegated to the edges, there is a fair amount of activity centered along River Ave.

Last edited by massnative71; 10-22-2020 at 07:29 AM..

Old 10-22-2020, 09:07 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,911,147 times
Quote:
Nice touch with the graphics on the map.

The map pretty much shows what some of us have been saying all along.

• No problems east of Hope Street.
  • No problems in the part of Mt Pleasant near RIC. The other part of Mt Pleasant has become awful.
  • Very few problems (but more than expected) in Elmhurst. The edges of Elmhurst (other than the Mt. Pleasant side) are horrible.
  • The Broadway part of Federal Hill isn't crime-free but it's fine.
  • The North End (Wanskuck/Charles) is terrible.
  • Everything south of (and including) Westminster Street is garbage.
  • Everything west of Route 10 is trash.
And this is a surprise to any of you? How many times have people (including myself) have said "check crime stats before buying in a neighborhood"? How many times have I said the PPD are ineffective and have been consistently during my existence here?

I just don't see this reporting as an obsessive occupation. All the other places on City Data have crime and none have these constant drum beat threads of every single incident.

I have also read zero on this forum from anyone about how they would solve the problem or even mitigate it.

I also don't see what you think you or the state or city will gain by having these places plummet in value and being more ghettoized. You only say you are "warning people". Do you own property in these neighborhoods? I assume you're good with your value plummeting?

Sorry, but I didn't come down in yesterday's rain- you have a hidden agenda here or OCD !.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I also don't see what you think you or the state or city will gain by having these places plummet in value and being more ghettoized.

^ And, as usual, Holly wants to bury the truth due to concerns about the value of her property.

Old 10-22-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I have also read zero on this forum from anyone about how they would solve the problem or even mitigate it.

I don't know how to solve the problem. Do you?

Boston did a lot of cleaning up by displacing people to Brockton. That didn't solve the problem; it just shifted some of it.

Should Providence tear down the projects and send people to Woonsocket and/or West Warwick?

Old 10-22-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
And this is a surprise to any of you? How many times have people (including myself) have said "check crime stats before buying in a neighborhood"? How many times have I said the PPD are ineffective and have been consistently during my existence here?

I just don't see this reporting as an obsessive occupation. All the other places on City Data have crime and none have these constant drum beat threads of every single incident.

I also don't see what you think you or the state or city will gain by having these places plummet in value and being more ghettoized. You only say you are "warning people". Do you own property in these neighborhoods? I assume you're good with your value plummeting?

Sorry, but I didn't come down in yesterday's rain- you have a hidden agenda here or OCD !.
Holly you and I may know this stuff but to somebody inquiring from outside, it might not be so clear. Once again, people frequently come here asking which neighborhoods are safe and such, which is one of many purposes this thread serves (and it shows given the 8400+ views it has, and rapidly growing). You say people can check the crime stats, well PPD no longer maintains a crime map which is why I created this one.

Home values are what they are, and already reflect the local crime rates. There is a good reason why the same home on Blackstone Blvd. will be worth more than the one in Elmwood or Silver Lake. Besides Holly, didn't you say you moved to Oakland Beach which is in WARWICK? What is it to you, the home values in PROVIDENCE???

Old 10-22-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know how to solve the problem. Do you?

Boston did a lot of cleaning up by displacing people to Brockton. That didn't solve the problem; it just shifted some of it.

Should Providence tear down the projects and send people to Woonsocket and/or West Warwick?
Much of the violent crime in Providence today is the result of NYC doing the same sort of "displacing" that Boston did. Thugs from down there started moving up to RI in droves during the 90s. Maybe send them back to where they came from? I'm sure Mr. Deblasio would take them with open arms.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:10 PM

3,800 posts, read 2,700,085 times
Quote:

It's Crime Obsessed Perversion Syndrome. It presents a fun-house mirror perspective that makes our city's crime out to be far worse than it is, promotes irrational fear, and actually contributes to the (relatively low compared with other cities) crime problem.

Rather than some almost-amateur crime map with no transparency about how it was created, better is https://www.crimemapping.com/map/agency/485. Data can be filtered and looks back six months if you are so inclined.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
And this is a surprise to any of you?

I am surprised to see zero incidents in Reservoir.

I think one of our forum members is probably surprised to see the stark contrast between Mt Hope and Hope.

And I'm guessing it may have been a bit of an eye opener for you, Holly. There are a lot of problems in the city, and they go well beyond just South Providence.

Quote:
How many times have people (including myself) have said "check crime stats before buying in a neighborhood"?

massnative has clearly put in a massive amount of time and effort to put together a detailed Providence crime map that can't be found anywhere else. It is a fantastic resource.

Quote:
All the other places on City Data have crime and none have these constant drum beat threads of every single incident.

Holly, are you a leader or a follower? I think we should strive to be better than the other forums on City Data. This thread is a prime example of how the RI forum excels.

Quote:

This comment seems disrespectful.

Old 10-22-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
Rather than some almost-amateur crime map with no transparency about how it was created

Are you kidding? massnative's map was compiled using the Providence Police Case Log, and it only includes serious violent crimes. It is color coded by month and goes back to February 2020. He has explained this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.