Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2006, 08:25 AM

116 posts, read 472,540 times

Advertisements

There is a tiny strip mall on Potranco at the light that leads into Westcreek Oaks (near the schools). As far as I remember, right now there's a Domino's Pizza (smart move, easy delivery to a LOT of homes in Westcreek), a karate place, and most importantly to me, a little Bagel/Deli place. Chicago Bagels and Deli, I think... something like that.

Dropped by the other day... VERY GOOD! I'll give it a definite recommendation. At least 10 different kinds of bagels, and good sandwiches as well. Wife and I split a roast beef, and got a bagel on the side, both excellent. Bet they get a lot of business at lunch time from the staff at the elementary and middle schools about a half mile away!

Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
For anyone inteested in really good chinese food, there's a place called Wok Inn in a shopping center off Potranco acorss from Stevens High School.

The owner has two Wok Inn locations, the first one which has been open since the mid 80's on Grissom Rd. in the Great Northwest area.

This new Wok Inn (on Potranco) is really impressive. They put a lot of money into it.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:36 AM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
Wok Inn is very good. We get it about once a week. Very fast too.

Old 11-21-2006, 12:34 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,153,927 times
Hello All..just found this great site and I have lots of information to share!! First off, I know this area like the back of my hand having moved here in the 70's as a kid. My parents are still off Potranco outside of 1604 so when I come back home to check on them, ( I live in the DFW area now) I am just amazed at the growth.
First off, I just ran across a detailed drawing showing some of what is planned for the Alamo Ranch Marketplace just to the north of Potranco on 1604. I'll try and post a link for it later if I can. This shopping center should begin off 1604 and Alamo Ranch Parkway which is also the extension of Hwy 151 that will eventually lead to Hwy 211 further west. The shopping will extend from there up to Culebra Rd. The list of stores in the schematic (including the ones already mentioned) are: Costco, JC Penney, Marshalls/Home Goods (we have that up here and it's great), SuperTarget, Best Buy, Office Max, Ross, Ulta, Petsmart and Michaels. There are about 20-30 other retail areas that aren't labeled and with this area being developed by the same folks that did The Forum, it's a good bet that most of the stores will be pretty much the same as what's over there. A Barnes & Noble or Borders book store is expected along with about every restaurant imaginable!

The Alamo Ranch housing area will be a very large and beautiful community of different neighborhoods with different price points ranging from the 150s upwards to 500K. Someone mentioned it being another Stone Oak and you couldn't be anymore right. Many builders have signed on besides the ones most people know about. David Weekley Homes is planned to build there along with many more that haven't been announced yet. New roads are also being planned to cut through the rolling terrain between Potranco and Alamo Ranch. Grosenbacher Rd will be extended from the Westcreek area up to Culebra Rd where it should hook up with Galm Rd and continue on to Bandera Rd. Alamo Ranch area roads (Lone Star Parkway, etc) will be extended down towards the Westcreek area and towards the new extension of Wiseman Blvd that now travels from 1604 west to Talley Rd.

The shopping area near HEB Plus originally had a Lowe's planned next to it as you head down Potranco towards Ellison. Not sure if that's still a go but anyone can tell that there's more development coming all around the new HEB due to the available pad sites everywhere.

The shopping center being developed directly behind Bill Miller's BBQ is only in the first phase. It eventually will be extended up 1604 and end just south of Calvary Baptist. Academy Sports and Outdoors is tentatively planned to locate in one of the larger pad sites closer to the church once that phase begins (my Dad is thrilled)! Also, just north of Bill Miller facing 1604 will be fast food restaurants including Whataburger, Taco Cabana and a drive thru Starbucks. A Pei-Wei chinese restaurant is planned for that development too.

I have seen the schematics for the Super Walmart at Potranco/1604 and it's a very large development exclusive of the store itself. Large pad sites surrounding the Walmart tend to make me believe that a Sam's (among many other stores/restaurants) will locate there especially since Costco will be just a few miles up at Alamo Ranch Marketplace.

Santikos still has plans for the Granada Theater but IMHO, I think they are taking their time and waiting for more rooftops to be built in the area but I foresee building starting after the beginning of 07. It will be a very nice theater with restaurants and retail attached.

Further down Potranco at Grosenbacher, across from Ott and Luna, another smaller strip center is planned on the south side of Potranco. A Walgreens is platted along with about 3-4 fast food pad sites currently unnamed. Expect much more development at this intersection because a neighborhood named "Weston Oaks" is planned on the south side of Potranco extending from Grosenbacher west towards where Talley deadends. Upwards of 1500 or so homes are planned with a price point tentatively starting at the 150's and up. Far west Potranco will be populated with high end homes...Bella Vista is one case in point. Homes there are selling in the 300K+ range. Stevens Ranch and RedBird Ranch will be two very large communities straddling future Hwy 211 and will be very similar to Alamo Ranch. Both will have entry level homes but they also will have neighborhoods priced from the 200s-400s over time. I have a large map that shows this area of SA along with the proposed new communities and the amount of new homes planned in each. I'll try and find it and post sometime later. Much more is planned but I figure I better stop since this posting is quite long. If I hear more about these and others, I'll be sure to post for you all!

Old 11-21-2006, 03:04 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,334,149 times
Wow, thanks for the detailed info.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:22 PM

^^You're welcome!

Here's a link to Alamo Ranch Marketplace:

http://www.ucrrealty.com/photos/properties/flyers/200610201644560.SP-50-101906%20-%202.pdf (broken link)

Here's also a link to Potranco Village which will be the development behind Bill Miller's. When you get to the site plan, zoom in so you can see the names on the retail/restaurant sites. Also, there's a good map on there that will show you all the planned developments at each corner of the intersection of Potranco and Loop 1604.

http://www.barshop-oles.com/pdf/potranco_mediakit.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,242,189 times
Nice going 940, good to have you here.

BTW, there will be a Broadway Bank on Westwood Loop directly across from Costco which leaves me to believe more retail/commercial space is planned for the north side of Westwood Loop.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Nice going 940, good to have you here.

BTW, there will be a Broadway Bank on Westwood Loop directly across from Costco which leaves me to believe more retail/commercial space is planned for the north side of Westwood Loop.

Thanks 210..glad to have found this forum so that I can read all the good info from you and everyone else. And if I can add my .02 worth once in a while, then all the better!

I'm headed back to SA before Christmas and my parents tell me that the SuperWalmart there at Potranco is rising quick. Can't wait to see it all and to check out the new HEB Plus.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:25 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Walmart Supercenter at Loop 1604 and Potranco

Traveling east on Potranco to wards Loop 1604, I noticed that the Walmart Supercenter being built on the south side of Potranco has the front entrance facing West. This is strange as all the Walmart's I've ever seen face to wards a street (this one has its back to Loop 1604 and one side to wards Potranco. The only thing I could think of is that perhaps the acreage is not deep enough to have the building face the street. Any thoughts on this?

Old 11-27-2006, 11:35 PM

My parents were telling me the same thing about the positioning of the building..and if you look at the schematics in one of the map links I gave above, you'll see that it looks as if it's going to be exactly as you say...the main entrances and most of the parking will be on the west side and not on the 1604 side of the store. I'm just taking a guess but with that part of 1604 expansion not close to being finished, maybe WalMart didn't want to chance having parking facing the 1604 expansion (as it does at the Culebra/Leslie Rd location) and the possibility of some of that parking being taken away by the folks building the main highway and the feeder road past Potranco. Better to have the highway abut the back of the new building then take a chance and lose acres of parking over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio