Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 05:27 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Does anyone remember watching old mystery movies on Saturday afternoon? I think they were on KENS-TV. I recall the movies started right after "Scooby Doo" ended. I loved those old Sherlock Holmes and Charlie Chan movies! I think there was a name for this time slot, but I don't recall it.
I remember those afternoon movies but I can't remember the name of the program. I seem to remember a ton of Tarzan movies and Abbott and Costello movies too. I also remember "Project Terror" on Friday or Saturday night. Used to scare the bejeezus out of me..and that was just the opening! I think it was also WOAI channel 4 that used to play that little blurb before their 10pm news..."Parents, it's 10pm, do you know where your children are?" Anyone else remember Martha Buchanan on there? She seemed to be there forever.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Northwest Center on Fred road is a fascinating building. What did it used to be. There are inner sidewalks and inner areas that make it look like it could have been a public school at one point.

What was it before the flea market in the back took over?
It think it was always a retail center, but I agree with you, it was very odd for its purpose. Maybe the open airness of it, it was just ahead of its time. Does that center still exist? I think the stores that 940 posted was about it. I remember some other little businesses like maybe a barber shop, but nothing memorable. I think after the Pennys moved out there was a store like Service Merchandise there, but I am not sure. I want to say there might have been a Piggly Wiggly there at one time. I know next time I am in town, I'm going by there.

Last edited by irnag; 01-30-2007 at 06:24 PM.. Reason: correcting grammar

Old 01-30-2007, 07:25 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
I remember those afternoon movies but I can't remember the name of the program. I seem to remember a ton of Tarzan movies and Abbott and Costello movies too. I also remember "Project Terror" on Friday or Saturday night. Used to scare the bejeezus out of me..and that was just the opening! I think it was also WOAI channel 4 that used to play that little blurb before their 10pm news..."Parents, it's 10pm, do you know where your children are?" Anyone else remember Martha Buchanan on there? She seemed to be there forever.
940, Oh yes, the Abbott and Costello movies! Loved them! Tarzan, too. And don't forget Mr. Moto and the Saint!

"Project Terror" -- what was the catch phrase? "Where the _______ and the terrifying emerge"????

I do remember Martha Buchanan, but do you remember Mary Denman? I think she did a noontime show called Our Town...\

irnag, the northwest shopping center is still there. It probably goes by a different name, though. I remember Pancho's Mexican Buffet being there, and maybe a grocery store, too. Now I think there's a Big Lots. If you remember the Solo Serve that was further in towards town on Fredericksburg, there's a Goodwill store there now.

That burger joint by the mall may have been The Three Bears. We had one on the southside, too.

Oh, just thought of another jingle: Gillespie Ford

"You can afford a Ford if you buy from Gillespie.
If you buy from Gillespie, you can afford a Ford!"

Old 01-30-2007, 07:42 PM

305 posts, read 1,618,280 times
"Project Terror" -- what was the catch phrase? "Where the _______ and the terrifying emerge"????

Scientific - i think

I remember Our Town. I remember it being on and not watching it.

Where was the Solo Serve? I remember Paul Anderson's and Mickey Finns. That was near where Babcock met Fred Rd. But before that it was a retail store. Was that Solo?

So there were places called The Three Bears? I thought I had made that up. Was the Three Bears around McCreless?

Last edited by irnag; 01-30-2007 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: add

Old 01-30-2007, 07:53 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,153,495 times
Catriona..you've got some great memories. I'm remembering things I thought were gone forever! I remember Mary Denman..she was on KENS for the longest time. She had the show you mentioned and then she also subbed for some of the anchors doing the news.

I can still sing that Gillespie Ford ditty...it was funny seeing that again!

And irnag's right..the catch phrase for Project Terror was "Where the scientific and the terrifying emerge" along with that obnoxious grating noise and chains rattling, etc. I found this online for those of you who will appreciate it!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:08 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Picadilly was inside the mall. Wards opened into the mall on both levels.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,029 times
irnag, you're right, it was "Scientific". I thought that's what it was, but I wasn't sure. The Solo Serve was near the intersection of Fredericksburg and Vance Jackson. The Three Bears was an actual hamburger joint. The one I remember was located across the street from McCreless Mall. We only went there once because my dad said the burgers gave him heartburn!

940, thanks for the Project Terror picture!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:02 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,438,921 times
I miss the old HEB on Austin Highway. The old one was more dignified and had a much better lay out. At least I still have oak park HEB

Old 01-31-2007, 01:44 AM

87 posts, read 330,538 times
The Three Bears must have been either before we moved here ('76-'77), or we just never went. I do remember the Sommer's drugstore at McCrelles, and the fountain that was in the middle of the mall. I always dreaded when my mom would drag my brother & I to JCPenney's; Ward's I didn't mind because we could always convince her to get us something to eat .

There was a First Mate at the corner of Goliad & Pecan Valley for the longest time; it looked like either a shrimp boat or a small tug at dock, with rope tied around posts sticking up from small hills of concrete.

Wacky's was my home-away-from-home. I lived in the little room that you entered at the back of the building for a few months, and worked the door & ran errands when I got my car so I could get in for free. The sound board was a terror: you ran the risk of electrocution, or at least a good shock, every show! We had the payphone outside rigged so it thought it was a home phone...

The DMZ was fun-ice house turned punk club. We would beg Chainsaw to let us sleep on the funky vinyl couch if we'd missed the 11:30 pm bus home.

I remember 'The Bone' being further up San Pedro, about where Banannas is now. I went to my first show there, though I can't even begin to tell you who played. If I can find the camera, I'll take a pic of a shirt from there I still have.

How many incarnations did that club on Ave B go through, lol?

Anyone recall a little place on the SE side on SE Military called Image? *dies giggling*

I've been digging for any info on the waterslide park that was either on 281N or 35N; a kid was sucked into the return pump and drowned, iirc.

My dad worked for KBUC during the 70s (Jim Shannon), and started working for KENS when it was downtown. KBUC scared the chit out of me when we'd go see my dad at night; there were big, fugly dogs running around the lot, and we'd scamper over to the window to wave at him in the booth, then run like hell back to the car.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 AM

19 posts, read 137,715 times
Does anyone remember the Godfather of Rock~n~Roll Joe Anthony of KISS FM? Or Rick the Stick or LL Cool Hayden of B 94 FM? Or any Public Access Shows like "The Worst Show"? Or after Saturday Night Live how they would broadast live from The Hip Bone or Club Miami nightclubs? And on Saturday Mornings the Teens had their own dance show that took place at some park? Or when Fiesta took place at Hemisphair Park - La Semana? I moved to SA in '87 so that's how far back I can go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio