Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 PM

28 posts, read 153,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
I was telling my husband last night about this thread. I remember the Slide at Wonderland. We both graduated from Lee and we were remembering the places we would go to. Does anyone remember Swensons Ice Cream Parlor? It was located on Blanco Rd. Does anyone remember the Falcon and Gold Mine arcades? How about the Santa Clause that would be on top of the elevator at Rhodes? The statues at Central Park Mall? Watching the Rocky Horror Picture show at Central Park Fox theaters and then Northwest 6?
What year did you graduate from Lee? I graduated in 1980.

Used to LOVE going to the Swensons Ice Cream parlor there on Blanco near Central Park. Have fond memories of that place with my boyfriend.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:00 PM
940 940 started this thread

13,791 posts, read 8,155,707 times
Wasn't there a Swenson's Ice Cream Parlor across from Wonderland on Fredericksburg Rd...just down from the BMW dealership and near Jim's?

Great recollections, Jimgill...thanks for posting them and welcome to the thread!

Old 09-16-2007, 01:10 PM

78 posts, read 407,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
Is this the site of the old Gillespe Mansion?
Yep. That's gotta be the place.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:30 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
Wasn't there a Swenson's Ice Cream Parlor across from Wonderland on Fredericksburg Rd...just down from the BMW dealership and near Jim's?

Great recollections, Jimgill...thanks for posting them and welcome to the thread!
Yeppers, the Swensen across from Wonderland Mall was where the EZ's is now! LOVED that place...was thrilled when I was in Bangkok and they are on EVER other corner in Thailand!!! LOVE the Coit's Tower...yummm...yumm!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM

141 posts, read 508,604 times
Does anyone remember a waterpark of sorts on Gulfdale, across the street from Firstmark Credit Union (used to be San Antonio Teachers Credit Union)? According to a boss of mine when I worked at said credit union, there was a water park where the Viewpoint business building is, which is where I worked, and my boss states that a kid either fell, or was pushed from the top of one of the slides and died. She also said the Viewpoint building was built on the old site of the "phantom waterpark" and would explain the cold areas in the offices. This seems like the perfect place to inquire of the park's existence.

Thanks!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM

141 posts, read 508,604 times
Macgrad89, thank you so much for answering a question I just posted! LOL Man, I thought my boss was pulling my leg about that waterpark...Just how did that kid die? I mean, drowning is one my worst fears, so I can't imagine anything worse...

Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
I heard that the kid climbed behind the gate in the middle of the landing pools so he could hide and wait until he could slide again (when his color band came back), and he got pulled into a water suction pipe. Without going into detail, the pipe was smaller than his body.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 PM

91 posts, read 323,790 times
Default Super Slide, Perrin Plaza Family Theater

rexkwandosatx,

With respect to those on the list who are upset easily by gruesome details, I'll only go so far as to say the kid at Super Slide died from evisceration. Thanks for pointing out the specific spot where the park was!

willsatx,

The Perrin Plaza Family Theater was along the Naco-Perrin side of Perrin Plaza. Next to the old Bonanza and connected to the shopping center is a building which is now either a church or club - can't remember (not the Gold Club - that was once Mr. Gatti's). The building attached to the strip center is the old Perrin Plaza Family Theater. Seems like I saw all the classic Disney movies there in the 70s. The theater closed up in the early 80s and was a one-screen affair.

There's an EZ's on Fredericksburg now? Wow - been away too long! On the brightish side, we'll be coming home to San Antonio for Thanksgiving. Can't hardly wait!

Macgrad89

Old 09-16-2007, 08:16 PM

9 posts, read 33,743 times
This is a great thread. Unlike any other I've seen out there.

I grew up in the south end of the Robert E. Lee neighborhood (right on the boundary between NEISD and SAISD lines). I remember (sorry if I've posted this stuff before):

When an HEB at the corner of Blanco and Basse was right up the street from my house. I believe it was the early 90's that this HEB left. I believe 1993 or 1994.

When a Handy Andy was right down the road in the other direction. On Basse and West Ave. And way way back when, late 1980s I believe, a Mr. Gatti's was in that same shopping center.

Anyone remember "HEB Video Central" on Fredericksburg Road and the Pizza Hut that was just up the road from there? I believe that Pizza Hut is now a Tink-a-Taco or Mr. Taco something.

I remember Target on 410 and Vance Jackson. And the Taco Bell right around the corner from there that is now a Mexican restaurant.

KONO 101...I miss that mid-50's to early 60's "golden oldies" music. Now they are late 60's to 70's music. I believe in 1999/2000 they started phasing out singers like Buddy Holly, Fats Domino, and Chuck Berry from their radio station. Its weird to not have those golden oldies on KONO anymore.

Central Park Mall and the FOX Theatre. Did they close down because of a shooting?

Old 09-17-2007, 06:35 AM

28 posts, read 153,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stics View Post
The never ending Butter Crust Bread billboard on San Pedro & Hildabrand.
Is that still there?
Roy
The never ending butter crust bread billboard on San Pedro at the railroad tracks is still there, however it is not in use right now. I say now, because in recent years, it has been a Spurs sign and before that was an orange juice sign. I think a few other ads have gone up there, and they always incorporate that moving wheel. I remember that sign when I was little in the early 60's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio