Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2007, 08:04 PM

24 posts, read 92,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
All i can rememebr of Stranger's Ice House is a single door and the meat counter. It smelled like a smoke house too. I was very young less than 10 but do remember very well my dad said, GOING TO THE ICE HOUSE, we got in the 53 ford something and off we went.

Now on to Stik's post. As I was reading it I could see and smell the air from those places he was describing. The boots, Playland Park, Hemisfair Arena concerts (we know that smell) and every Handy Andy had the same smell, like the meat department. Mom always shopped the HA at Wonderland before the mall was built. While at the store all I wanted to do is look down into the basement. They had a conveyor belt that brought groceries up. That was another world.

The Wonderland theater, wow, I went to TMI and our band played at the Grand Opening. I dont remember the movie that was playing. My uncle was a projectionist there when they closed the place. Not too sad, there were plenty of movie houses around.

First Mate had great fish filets, there was one on blanco ???? During my high school days I worked at Lafayette Radio at 4701 Blanco Road across from the Dons and Bens. This was 1970-71. Great times and great friends.

1975-76? I spun records at the Crystal Pistol. My roomate had the Friday Night gig and I had Saturday Nights. Now those days were a blurr, but what cool times they were!!

I moved from SA in 1989. Worked for Albertsons in the Division Office and when Alb built the Fort Worth Warehouse they moved the office also. Like Stik said, No matter where I roam, I will always be San Antonio born and bread. It's cool to dream about the old days in SA, will never forget them.

Stik, want to hear some more...make your post #2.
I seem to remember First Mate was at Blanco and Fresno or near there anyway. My dad worked there for a short while as a supervisor trainee. He wound up becoming a district manager for another company.

Saw a lot of concerts at the Hemisfair Arena and the Municipal Auditorium back in the 70's. Kind of cool to have "been there" for what everyone now calls "classic rock"

Old 09-22-2007, 08:13 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdeb525 View Post
I've been reading for the past 2 hrs and have thought of some things.

The orange freeze at Whopper Burger, used to give you a brain freeze. I believe there was on on Blanco/410. I believe there is a Mexican restaurant there now. Man I LOVED that stuff.
The Do Drop Inn (I believe under the Commerce bridge? ) Had the best bbq sandwiches. THIS PLACE WAS AWESOME, the ownwers retired around 1990.
The original Malt House on Zarzamora and Buena Vista?

If I think of anything else, will post later
Thanks for the reminder of the Do Drop Inn

Old 09-22-2007, 10:22 PM

48 posts, read 375,797 times
Can anyone recall Las Brisas Restaurant on W. Commerce and San Jacinto?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:50 PM
tcs

218 posts, read 877,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManOnBass View Post
I seem to remember First Mate was at Blanco and Fresno or near there anyway. My dad worked there for a short while as a supervisor trainee. He wound up becoming a district manager for another company.

Saw a lot of concerts at the Hemisfair Arena and the Municipal Auditorium back in the 70's. Kind of cool to have "been there" for what everyone now calls "classic rock"
So true. Saw Loggins and Messina at Municipal Auditorium. Out of all the rock conserts I have been to, that one ranks in my top 5. My very first rock concert was IronButterfly at the H Arena. Yup now it is classic rock. Give it another 30 years and it will be the new Big Band Sound!!!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:16 AM
tcs

HUng out to get ZZ TOP also.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:25 AM

86 posts, read 394,453 times
Does anyone remember Swingtime? It was kind of like the American Bandstand of San Antonio, on every Sat. in the late '60's. I think it was on Channel 12. Seems like there were regulars that danced every week and we all thought they were so cool! Loved that show.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:53 AM

58 posts, read 203,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Does anyone remember Swingtime? It was kind of like the American Bandstand of San Antonio, on every Sat. in the late '60's. I think it was on Channel 12. Seems like there were regulars that danced every week and we all thought they were so cool! Loved that show.
Yes, I do. I think Bruce Hathaway was the host. Big Red was a big sponsor. Wish I could see that again.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:06 PM
tcs

Was Swingtime done from Wonderland?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 PM

11 posts, read 38,375 times
Default Fantasy Land at Joske's

Does anyone have any pics of the Fantasy Land or pics of the old Joske's building (with the name on it)?

Old 09-23-2007, 11:10 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,434,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperez41 View Post
Does anyone have any pics of the Fantasy Land or pics of the old Joske's building (with the name on it)?
I also would like to see these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio