Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 PM

847 posts, read 2,235,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwideglide View Post

I have seen a few posts here about old hobby shops, so here are two that we'll see if anyone remembers:

1) Cess and Ronnies - it was located on McCullough Ave., I believe in Olmos Park. It was on the left side of the street inbound, and was in an old house. They carried a ton of plastic model kits, trains, etc. There was even a train that circled the shop outside that I think was large enough for small kids to ride. I remember the couple who owned it being old when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's. I have not been in that part of town is ages, so don't know if the house is still there or not.

Anyone remember these?

glide, yeah I remember Cess and Ronn's place from way back when,
the house is still there, but,
I can't remember what's in it now.

No, it was not in Olmos Park,
it was on the East side of McCullough between Mistletoe and Magnolia.

mud

Old 06-12-2008, 09:25 PM

122 posts, read 513,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerian View Post
I'm curious also, Gremlins 2 came out in 1990 and I moved to that part of town in 1991, I do remember the old Bandera 6 movie theatre, but it wasn't a drive in.
I could be wrong about which drive-in it was, all I know was I saw it at a drive in and I was scared out of my mind! I lived at Thousand Oak and Jones Maltsberger at the time and I don't remember it being close to my house.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:32 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,442,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
I could be wrong about which drive-in it was, all I know was I saw it at a drive in and I was scared out of my mind! I lived at Thousand Oak and Jones Maltsberger at the time and I don't remember it being close to my house.
Maybe it was the first gremlins which i think came out in 84 or 85, there would have been a few more drive-ins at that time.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsatx View Post
Maybe it was the first gremlins which i think came out in 84 or 85, there would have been a few more drive-ins at that time.
Ha ha, no it wasn't the first one, I was only two! It was the second one. I can picture it in my head, and I know I drove by it a few times after it closed down. I am going to do my research and see if I can figure out where it was.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:29 AM

I guess it was the Mission 4 Drive-In on Roosevelt. You know, come to think of it, my mom was really mad when she picked me up and I told her what we did at the sleepover. I guess now I know why!

Old 06-13-2008, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 19,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
glide, yeah I remember Cess and Ronn's place from way back when,
the house is still there, but,
I can't remember what's in it now.

No, it was not in Olmos Park,
it was on the East side of McCullough between Mistletoe and Magnolia.

mud
Thanks for the clarification on the location, as I was not sure anymore. Wonder if the tracks from that old train are still in the ground around the house? I'm coming into SA this weekend for family stuff, and if I get time, I may drive by there to find the place and see. Also, thanks to Spock and GW for the name of the other old shop. I also found it on the web with a pic of the building, and yes, that is the place! Can't believe that it is still there! Another place to check out.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 51,213 times
I went to Camp LaJita back in the day. What years did you go?

Old 06-13-2008, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 8,015 times
Rooty's Root Beer place off 4-10. Oh I loved that place!! Great burgers, and not to mention the homemade root beer. I think it's a Hooters now.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:23 PM

60 posts, read 208,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwideglide View Post
I have seen a few posts here about old hobby shops, so here are two that we'll see if anyone remembers:

1) Cess and Ronnies - it was located on McCullough Ave., I believe in Olmos Park. It was on the left side of the street inbound, and was in an old house. They carried a ton of plastic model kits, trains, etc. There was even a train that circled the shop outside that I think was large enough for small kids to ride. I remember the couple who owned it being old when I was a kid in the late '60's and early '70's. I have not been in that part of town is ages, so don't know if the house is still there or not.

Anyone remember these?
YES!!! I remember my father taking me there when I was really small. It was a big old white house... I think further south of Olmos Park more towards downtown. They had a huge model train layout in the basement.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:36 PM

16 posts, read 51,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
Your a new comer, I lived there wayyyyy before then, an old timer, yes , but there was nothing at Goliad and "Loop 13" as Military drive was called when only "Brooks Field" was there and really nothing else, Just planes circling and nothing else. Around 1960 a Spartan -Atlantic store was put in at the southeast corner , only spartans at first.
I know this is a really old thread in the conversation but I had to try to respond. I too used to go to Wacky's and The Bone Club. Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio