Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
and better food, less annoying music
I found the Five Guys burgers to be juicy. Whataburger seems to be going downhill (burgers are getting drier with every visit to different locations).
You can also tell them to change the music or whatnot; I've done it before at other restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
5 Guys does NOT use free-range or organic cattle. Dunno why their burgers are more expensive. They are touting the "no trans fat" label but that's all I can tell from their site that borders on 'better for you'.

From their website:

While our beef is neither organic nor are the cattle free range, our distributor purchases raw materials from the major meat suppliers in the US and they treat the cattle humanely and follow all the procedures set forth by the USDA.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:09 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Sorry, but Five Guys to me wasn't any better than Whataburger. For the money, I'd go to any of the non-chain burger joints, i.e. Lords, Madrids, Bob's, Bobby J's, Bracken Cafe, etc., etc.....Heck, for lunch, even Silo on Austin Hwy wouldn't have cost much more. and better food, less annoying music
Totally agreed, and I think it's great you'd rather support the local, independent guys.

Still, those places you mentioned aren't any less expensive than Five Guys (which was my point). If you get a burger, fries, and a drink, you'll spend around $10 at these places (not sure about Bob's; haven't been there).

If you want a burger, fries, and drink for less than $7 or so...it's the fast food route.

Good call on Bracken, by the way. That place rules. I wish it wasn't so damn far away.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
5 Guys does NOT use free-range or organic cattle. Dunno why their burgers are more expensive. They are touting the "no trans fat" label but that's all I can tell from their site that borders on 'better for you'.

From their website:

While our beef is neither organic nor are the cattle free range, our distributor purchases raw materials from the major meat suppliers in the US and they treat the cattle humanely and follow all the procedures set forth by the USDA.
Right, but I wasn't really speaking about organic/free range beef. The 'big boy' fast food producers all have low standards for the beef (and other stuff) they use...I have a friend who's 'in the business', and it ain't pretty.

Per my other post, their burgers aren't more expensive than independent places using comparable ingredients.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:42 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

From their website:

"raw materials"....What the hell is "raw materials"?
Sounds like something you'd get at Home Depot

Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Right, but I wasn't really speaking about organic/free range beef. The 'big boy' fast food producers all have low standards for the beef (and other stuff) they use...I have a friend who's 'in the business', and it ain't pretty.
Per my other post, their burgers aren't more expensive than independent places using comparable ingredients.
It just seemed as though you were saying that they could somehow justify their high prices due to a higher quality meat (i.e. free range) and I went off in search of info. I have made it my goal this year to become a more responsible consumer and so was excited to think that maybe they were a responsible restaurant. Nope. Whole Foods will still be getting my whole paycheck.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
"raw materials"....What the hell is "raw materials"?
Sounds like something you'd get at Home Depot
That might be healthier actually, rather than some of the crap they DO put in our food.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
Five Guys can go back to wherever they came from: $10 and change for a burger and fries from a fast-food joint is ridiculous. You're just paying for the name (and frankly, it's a name that isn't that great).

Viva la Whataburger! ... And if you've got more time, Armadillos or any of the already mentioned sit-and-eat, homegrown burger joints in town.

BN

Old 02-16-2010, 06:21 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
w00t! Bring back Murf's!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:11 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,970 times
Bring back Joe's on Blanco Rd

"What'll you birds have?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio