Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 PM

948 posts, read 1,841,623 times

Advertisements

I love Thai chili, I usually get mine at #4. The pad Thai is great and the pad see ew is amazing.

Last place I ate at was the Denny's at 281 and Bitters...it was terrible. The service was as bad as it gets and as a result the food was bad cuz I'm pretty sure it sat on the counter for about 20 minutes or so before being brought out. I know I know it was Denny's but I don't think it was asking too much to have utensils, warm if not hot food and an attentive server. They weren't even busy so it's not like she was busy with other people. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times
Have to try Thai Chili sometime.Just never really see anyone there.At at the Martha's Mexican Cafe in Schertz.Oscar one of the manager's said the place is going to be renamed El Encanto Mexican Grill
and has no connection now to the Martha's found in San Antonio.The new menu will have more Mexican dishes like Ceviche,fish,etc.though it will carry a few of the tex mex plates they have now.
I can't wait to go try out their new menu.I had the beef fajita plate.Fajitas were not tough, beans had a good flavour with lots of bacon, etc. fresh tortillas made there.Salsa and Guacamole made fresh,and chips not greasy.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:05 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,483 times
Thai chili is very good.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times
Tonight @ Texas de Brazil (Houston St, Downtown)

Tonight's meal turned out pretty well, aside from one major issue I had with the meat. Texas's service is good (but not Chama great), the design of the dining room is well-laid out and both the salad bar and wine list are very, very impressive. My main concern for Texas is the temperature of the meat when it comes out and is sliced onto a plate. ALL of my meat was lukewarm. What appeared to be fresh off the spit meat turned out to be a whole lot less appealing when attempting to eat it. While Texas makes a big deal about 'firing' their meat (unlike Chama), due to the temp of the meat I couldn't as easily enjoy the taste as I do when dining at Chama Gauncha. Everything just tasted... Blah. That being said, they do try awfully hard to please.

The service is good, but it feels a little too much at times. The trick to a great wait staff is to have them there when you need them, but invisible the rest of the time. I always felt like I was being watched and frankly, it wasn't a feeling I enjoyed. It's a small dining room, albeit a noisy one with very few tables occupied at my 9pm reservation. The curvature of the room reminds me of Paesanos 1604. The salad bar is jaw-dropping... A true show stopper in both design and offering.

They're offering great 'grand opening' special: 2 dinners, a bottle of wine or champagne and two deserts for $75. You have to make reservations and ask for the deal when you call.

BN

Old 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffyfan View Post
Question: Is Old San Fran Steak House still open? The sign and restaurant are still lit. I thought it was closed.
According to their website they are still open. Back in the day, in Dallas, we used to go all the time. I looked at the menu and don't recall it being so expensive but then again maybe cause back then "dinner and drinks" budget was unlimited. I wonder if they are still as good as they used to be.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,572 times
Sandbar did a prix fixe for NYE that was on par with Le Reve. Food, wine, etc was handled without flaw. For once, I left without feeling over-charged (and it was my most expensive night there). Great job.

After Sandbar it was on to The Monty for libations & more snacks. Bravo to the fried duck hearts and the pig ear salad.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:36 AM

950 posts, read 1,258,536 times
I don't know if anyone in the Universal City area ever at at East Island Chinese Bistro and Sushi, in the Coronado Village Plaza,but it's gone. Was going to try it the other day and it is closed,permenantly.Don't think I'd go for fried duck hearts or pig ear salad.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,952 times
Ate at La Frite last night for the first time since the mother and son duo took over, and was impressed. The house bread, asparagus appetizer, steak au poivre, and bread pudding were all excellent. I was happy to see that the dining room was pretty busy for a Wednesday night and the service was great.

On another note, I tried Q on Tuesday night and will never go back. We were going to sit in the bar area for happy hour but there wasn't a table that could fit all of us, so we sat in the dining room and sucked up paying full price for drinks and appetizers. The dining room was absolutely dead and it took 15 minutes for our party to get our drinks, had to ask multiple times for water, we had to ask the hostess and cocktail waitress for our server multiple times, and the majority of food ordered was cold. The manager walked by our table many times and never stopped and asked how we were doing. We had to go and find the manager who was hiding in the back to tell him how disapointed we all were with everything. The manger gave us a pathetic apology and comped us a few 2 dollar brisket tacos and desserts. To top everything off the Hyatt offers free valet or 3 hours of free parking in the garage across the street if you dine at Q, but the manager wouldn't sign anyones valet slips because we all had a drink. I've never heard of anything like this before, and would have been wonderful to know before you park your car. A couple of us had to eat a 14 dollar parking fee. The resturant/beverage director got some emails and phone calls from all of us.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:33 AM

915 posts, read 1,903,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Ate at La Frite last night for the first time since the mother and son duo took over, and was impressed. The house bread, asparagus appetizer, steak au poivre, and bread pudding were all excellent. I was happy to see that the dining room was pretty busy for a Wednesday night and the service was great.
I am VERY glad to hear this. We used to frequent the place before the sale and i'm glad to hear they are doing well. I just wish their menu was more Beligian and less French bistro. I'm going to make a point to go back for some Moules Frites soon.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 PM

181 posts, read 674,112 times
We ate at Billy T's last night. I really don't think it's as good as it used to be when they were on Austin Hwy. We used our Living Social deal that was for $20. Our total was $22.85, so we payed the difference. Then the guy behind the counter told us that we had to pay tax on the $20 Living Social deal. He added an extra $1.60 to our total. We've used many Living Socials and Groupons and have never had to pay tax on it. Most places just treat it as a gift card, and we all know that you don't pay taxes on gift cards. We told this to the guy and he said that the owner is having him do it. We didn't make a big deal about it because there were people behind us.

Now onto the food. We ordered Bean and Cheese Nachos as an appetizer. These were the worst nachos I've ever eaten. It was a chip with refried beans and a slice of American cheese...gross! There was no sour cream or guacamole. I had the "famous" bean burger, which I used to love. It was just mediocre. My husband had the bacon burger. The bacon wasn't cooked and was extremely fatty. I know there's a lot of fat on bacon, but this bacon was full of fat. Needless to say, we didn't feel too good when we left. I don't think we'll be returning anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio