Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times

Advertisements

Piedmont also has the #1 ranked school district in Nor Cal by state assessed test scores.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/10...-test-results/

Not bad for being perceived so negatively by folks across the bay lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 07:05 PM

342 posts, read 318,998 times

Last edited by Bailey340; 04-29-2019 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: Wrong thread

Old 04-29-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Now you Bay Area elitists are turning against each other. What a dog eat dog stressful place to live.
Yes stay in your slow lane.. That's clearly where you belong.🐌

Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

That's why I wondered if youve ever been here? If you have then youd know there isnt much suffering going on due to the negative perception of others. LOL

I explained my comment about negativity in two separate posts (#14 and #19) - never said there was literal ‘suffering’ of people - lol. I meant, figuratively, in the same way the entire Bay Area is ‘judged’ relative to its high COL. I asked for your personal opinion as to what you liked about it (compared to other cities in the Bay Area). I didn’t ask for photos; I’ve seen it - lol. What I asked for was YOUR opinion of what YOU liked about it - because most people I know have various reasons to not choose it. Its proximity to Oakland, the higher crime, and the nearby nightlife (while still trying to hang on to a semi-suburban feel) are reasons which, in my opinion, make it less desirable than other areas in the Bay Area. It’s a common view - but then, so are the negative views of SF. That said, if you chose it because of the public schools, then you should have said that from the start. Anyway, my point was merely to state the Oakland Area, outside of this forum, tends to be bad-mouthed even more so than SF.

I was simply trying to encourage you to speak up, from your perspective - as to why you chose it over some other areas in the Bay Area. That you get belligerent about someone asking your personal opinion (and refusing to give one) made me wonder. It is, after all, a thread about why we love SF - lol, so why it’s such an issue I asked why you chose Piedmont (over SF and the rest of the Bay Area) is a reasonable question pertaining to the thread.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-29-2019 at 08:41 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

I was simply trying to encourage you to speak up, from your perspective - as to why you chose it over some other areas in the Bay Area. That you get belligerent about someone asking your personal opinion (and refusing to give one) made me wonder. It is, after all, a thread about why we love SF - lol, so why it’s such an issue I asked why you chose Piedmont (over SF and the rest of the Bay Area) is a reasonable question pertaining to the thread.
If you chose Piedmont for the schools, you could have just said that from the get-go.
You claimed in post 11 that we suffer and now still arent owning how this conversation arrived at this place and really its not a big deal, but 2 other forumers likewise felt that you werent being forthright enough and I'll leave it at that.

Futhermore aside from schools, I also said this:
I moved to Piedmont from Tiburon and I am so glad that I did. There's just no comparison if youre looking for upscale, walkable neighborhoods nearby, with countless great restaurants. Piedmont Av, Lakeshore Av, Grand Av, College Av but you have a large house on a large yard, on a tree-lined street, and you dont feel removed from the city.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:55 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Thx for the photos, Montclair. I was confused at first. I couldn't tell if one of those was of a house, or the Claremont Hotel. Now I know why the Piedmont kids I knew when growing up were impossibly snooty and bullied other kids.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:02 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,876,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Now you Bay Area elitists are turning against each other. What a dog eat dog stressful place to live.
Since when is asking someone about their personal reasons for living in a specific part of the Bay Area (on a thread about living in/loving SF) - turning against each other? He lashed out as to why I asked; but I find it impossible to believe he has never heard the negative comments surrounding the Oakland area (higher crime is just the beginning). We all, presumably, are well aware of the negatives of where we live/work. It would be the same as someone living/working in SF stating they never heard about the homeless (or the cracked windows at the Salesforce Tower). Higher crime and proximity to nightlife/Oakland affects the desirability of Piedmont (for some). I never implied it wasn’t nice - just somewhere I would not choose for a variety of reasons. There are better options, in my opinion. I don’t like the Oakland A’s either lol; I’m a hardcore Giants fan. It’s just preference - one we all should be able to articulate without photos.

Yes, to each his own.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 04-29-2019 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thx for the photos, Montclair. I was confused at first. I couldn't tell if one of those was of a house, or the Claremont Hotel. Now I know why the Piedmont kids I knew when growing up were impossibly snooty and bullied other kids.
For some strange reason, they dont do that to Oakland kids

Old 04-29-2019, 11:05 PM

60 posts, read 35,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I *love* the Bay Area so far....tho some would think I am biased. I moved here because of an 8 month (& intense) long distance relationship so I probably would feel the same even if we were talking about...Arkansas, if he was there!

But...ita there is so much to see & do. I really love my new job & the people that work with me too....it's way more challenging & better pay than my old one.
So do you like living in San Francisco or just the relationship for now? It's an expensive move.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
He lashed out as to why I asked
Asking for clarification is not lashing out.

Quote:
but I find it impossible to believe he has never heard the negative comments surrounding the Oakland area (higher crime is just the beginning).
Do you have amnesia? In post 11 you never mentioned Oakland. You said Piedmont has suffered from a lot of negative publicity, which is ludicrous.

Quote:
It’s just preference - one we all should be able to articulate without photos.
Photos were clearly needed to demonstrate that there little to no suffering going on in Piedmont because a bunch of snooty people from across the bay hate Oakland. That's their problem.

Furthermore, this is YOUR thread. In the 1st post you wrote the following:
A lot of threads are started pertaining to the negative aspects of the City... I’m curious. Anybody else out there who is happy to be living here (or the surrounding Bay Area) - and why?

If this^ is your premise, then why attack the east bay the first opportunity you get? How petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland