Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Jennibc: No, WikiAdam is right.

You and your husband probably just had better luck socializing where you live now instead of Seattle.

I know so many people that are friendly here in Seattle and expect friendliness back.
Right, 'cause your four months in Seattle, totally trumps my 18 years of experience there. Whatever, all I am pointing out is that it is not necessarily accurate to tell someone that if they have a problem in Seattle, they will have a problem everywhere, which is what some people are claiming. Whether want to call it the freeze, an introverted, lack-luster social climate, or whatever, it was just hard to get people there to commit to anything in terms of coming over for dinner or going out.

We had a 40th birthday party for my husband there and it was the lamest party we'd ever thrown. Nobody mingled, people weren't interested in meeting new people, his work people all talked exclusively to each other, our neighbors talked exclusively to each other, and our small circle of friends talked exclusively to each other. When we'd thrown parties in other places we could bring different groups of people together and the conversations would flow and people sometimes actually became friends.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:21 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Right, 'cause your four months in Seattle, totally trumps my 18 years of experience there. Whatever, all I am pointing out is that it is not necessarily accurate to tell someone that if they have a problem in Seattle, they will have a problem everywhere, which is what some people are claiming. Whether want to call it the freeze, an introverted, lack-luster social climate, or whatever, it was just hard to get people there to commit to anything in terms of coming over for dinner or going out.

We had a 40th birthday party for my husband there and it was the lamest party we'd ever thrown. Nobody mingled, people weren't interested in meeting new people, his work people all talked exclusively to each other, our neighbors talked exclusively to each other, and our small circle of friends talked exclusively to each other. When we'd thrown parties in other places we could bring different groups of people together and the conversations would flow and people sometimes actually became friends.
I can believe that. I had issues with some people that even when I enticed them with free food and free beer, they still wouldn't commit!

When I threw parties in LV, I nearly dropped dead in shock when not only I got RSVPies, people actually showed up! RSVP generally doesn't work with the Seattle people I know, you'd have to call, hunt them down and then you'd get a "maybe". I just take it as a sign of (Seattle) times.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WikiAdam View Post
Really wish they'd lock this topic. The Seattle Freeze is a myth. ...
Newsflash, folks: it's not the city. It's you.

If this was the state south of WA forum this would have been locked on page 1
(so much for accepting a diversity of opinion)

I'd say keep it open,
#1 It is the most popular thread on the forum (thus it is of interest and relevant)
#2 Good comments and illustrations from both sides of the fence
#3 Keeps WA above the state to the south in more ways than just the map.

Myth or not, it does draw out some 'passions'!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
You'll find the "Freeze" thing mentioned in every state forum. Usually by people who are so annoying they wouldn't make friends anywhere.
Is North Dakota really that unfriendly?

Why are People in Dallas so unfriendly?

Minnesota: Unfriendly, with lots of bad drivers.

Frieked out about "unfriendly" NOVA (Northern Virginia)

Why are so many people in Miami unfriendly and rude?

The Montanan's problem with outsiders moving in..

Why do locals HATE outsiders who move to Las Vegas??

NC not taking kindly to outsiders

Vermonters don't like outsiders

Can't make any friends in Maine!!!!

Old 07-13-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Is North Dakota really that unfriendly?

Why are People in Dallas so unfriendly?

Minnesota: Unfriendly, with lots of bad drivers.

Frieked out about "unfriendly" NOVA (Northern Virginia)

Why are so many people in Miami unfriendly and rude?

The Montanan's problem with outsiders moving in..

Why do locals HATE outsiders who move to Las Vegas??

NC not taking kindly to outsiders

Vermonters don't like outsiders

Can't make any friends in Maine!!!!

Read the article on the Freeze that someone linked to. The complaint is that people are very polite and friendly initially, but rarely take it past that. Obviously, without reading the threads, I cannot speak to what is considered lack of friendliness there, but it might be that the complaint is against a lack of surface friendliness.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,860,749 times
I was in Seattle for one week in April. I met one person via these boards who showed me around for half a day and took me to some amazing places, as well as to his friend's apartment and his local bar. I met another person at Crossroads Mall mall who gave me a tour of the Microsoft campus in Redmond. I played chess with strangers at that mall too. I met a bookstore clerk who spent more than 15 mins with me promoting a book by a local author about Seattle that a newbie to the city would really enjoy. I met one person who walked a mile out of his way in the middle of the night in order to guide me back to my completely isolated Priceline booked hotel at late night despite my saying that I could do it on my own. This guy was super fit though and seemed like he enjoyed late night hikes.

Two other board members have given me advice about apartment hunting in Seattle via PM.

I am impressed with how friendly people in Seattle are.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM

918 posts, read 1,697,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I was at a housewarming party recently in a new condo building in downtown Seattle that got a little bit loud. Guess what - the neighbors, instead of complaining, came over, brought some booze and asked if they could party with us. They were invited in and spent the rest of the night mingling with all of us.

Contrast that with my experience living in 'friendly' Southern town of Louisville, KY where my upstairs neighbor didn't even have the courtesy to ask me in person to turn down my music - apparently it was a lot more convenient to escalate to the leasing office and have the lady there come ****** at me.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:36 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
The long and short of it is that if you're the sort of person who's meant for Seattle, you'll think it's a crock.

If you're not the sort of person who's meant for Seattle, you'll swear up-and-down it's true.

I experienced it firsthand, and there's nothing wrong with me, nor is there anything wrong with Seattle. Seattle's just not the sort of town that's right for me, and that's that.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 AM

172 posts, read 442,147 times
I will be in Seattle in two weeks for an internship. I will see if the Seattle freeze is real or not. I don't quite believe it since I have lived there most of my life. You guys must all be at the wrong parties and trying to meet the wrong people. I have never experienced it.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch2 View Post
I don't quite believe it since I have lived there most of my life.
That's key right there. You grew up there and developed a social network, the freeze really exists for those that move there later in life as they try to establish social networks. I found when I was younger, and moved to capital hill as an 18 year old, I made lots of friends that were living in what then a predominantly a gay neighborhood. There were lots and lots of people looking to build completely new social networks because they had moved from anywhere small town USA and had come out. They seemed much more open to meeting people than people living in the Wallingford neighborhood, where I moved when I was 21. I still made some friends during college, but what I found interesting going to the UW was that a lot of local students that had a network of friends that they grew up with in Seattle weren't all that interested in meeting new friends on campus.

It wasn't until I moved back there after being gone for a few years (in my early thirties) that I really recognized how hard it was to meet people there and develop lasting deep friendships. That may lead some to think, well of course, as you age, it gets harder to meet new people. Except that moving down here to Austin in my early forties, it has not been hard at all to meet many many people and have many social opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area